Hofstra vs NYMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

somefun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Go to Hofstra. It's amazing. You wont regret it.

Members don't see this ad :)
lol wow I sense no bias here ^

I interviewed at both, and I would pick NYMC.

I only interviewed at Hofstra, so I can't really comment on how it compares with NYMC, but I got the impression that they treat their students really well, like you were saying. Hofstra can't really have much of a track record yet since they are such a new school, and I think only one (maybe 2?) class has taken Step 1 so far, and no one has matched yet because no one has gotten to 4th year!

I'm seriously considering hofstra for next year, and the newness/lack of track record is a non-issue for me, mainly because of the partnership with LIJ. I got the sense that the school was well connected in terms of clinical opportunities and eventually residency matching for that reason. (gonna stop before this turns into my hofstra secondary essay, but basically I don't think the fact that it's new will put you at a disadvantage.)

lol wow I sense no bias here ^

I interviewed at both, and I would pick NYMC.

Well I never pretended not to be biased! :)

I honestly can't say anything about NYMC, and I am a Hofstra student so you can absolutely take everything I say with a grain of salt. That being said, a couple weeks ago I was able to scrub into a laproscopic cholecystectomy and perform a little part of almost the entire procedure. My preceptor told me to operate the camera, so I operated the camera. He handed me the electrocautery and I dissected back the peritoneum. I got to clip the cystic duct and artery. I got to close. I have never heard of another medical school where a first year student is essentially handed experiences like that, and that was all just with my surgery preceptor! I've had equally rewarding experiencies with my medicine and OBGYN preceptors. But maybe I'm wrong and everyone gets to do things like that as an MS1.

One thing I am sure about is that the faculty here are incredible, and they do anything that they can for their students. And that, I believe, is the best thing you can look for at just about any medical school.

That being said,it is a new school, and you have to drink the coolaid a little bit. I knew the curriculum here was what I wanted, and so I have no regrets. But if you don't think the PEARLS curriculum is what you want, don't come here because you will be miserable.

If the OP, or anyone else has any questions about Hofstra, they're more thank welcome to PM me and I'll answer what I can.

Congrats on your acceptances!

First time posting here, but trying to get feedback on these schools. I was accepted to both NYMC and Hofstra but can't decide between the two.

Hofstra pros for me were the great clinical experiences, newer facilities, and the fact that everyone at the school is so clearly invested in the students and their success. Of course the biggest drawback is that the school is so new. Also hoping for some feedback with the curriculum- it's a bit daunting thinking that there are "no lectures" since that is what I've done my entire undergraduate career at a large UC. The PEARLS groups seems like a nice idea, but can a current student comment on how much direction you are given to study whatever the topic may be. I am a bit worried the group learning dynamic can turn into a lot of BS/people running wild like chickens with their head cut off

NYMC pros for me were basically that it was established. I didn't really like the general vibe of the school while I was there(perhaps this is biased to the few students I interacted with) and the curriculum is very traditional, and the 3rd and 4th year rotations were held throughout the area, which I wouldn't really enjoy the whole driving around and moving everything 3 months thing.

What would you choose between the two?

First time posting here, but trying to get feedback on these schools. I was accepted to both NYMC and Hofstra but can't decide between the two.

Hofstra pros for me were the great clinical experiences, newer facilities, and the fact that everyone at the school is so clearly invested in the students and their success. Of course the biggest drawback is that the school is so new. Also hoping for some feedback with the curriculum- it's a bit daunting thinking that there are "no lectures" since that is what I've done my entire undergraduate career at a large UC. The PEARLS groups seems like a nice idea, but can a current student comment on how much direction you are given to study whatever the topic may be. I am a bit worried the group learning dynamic can turn into a lot of BS/people running wild like chickens with their head cut off

NYMC pros for me were basically that it was established. I didn't really like the general vibe of the school while I was there(perhaps this is biased to the few students I interacted with) and the curriculum is very traditional, and the 3rd and 4th year rotations were held throughout the area, which I wouldn't really enjoy the whole driving around and moving everything 3 months thing.

Keep in mind you're going to be driving a lot with Hofstra too, if not even more.

You will definitely be driving a lot if you go with Hofstra. They basically tell you a car is mandatory because its extremely difficult to get around Long Island without one.

I was accepted to both schools but have turned down NYMC.Like someone said above, my biggest issue with NYMC was I didn't get a good vibe from the school. I got the sense that a lot of the students were there because they had to be and not because they chose the school and really wanted to go there. The students generally didnt seem happy.

Hofstra is still under consideration. Although I think I would enjoy the curriculum and the faculty and staff seemed really supportive, I'm still grappling with the newness factor-even with the LIJ connection.

Please do not forget that NYMC also has preceptorships that as any student will tell you, provide as much experience as you pursue.

NYMC's 3/4yr clerkships range anywhere from conn, westchester, NYC, and northern NJ. This I believe is a good thing, and considering commuting in the tri-state area is very common, a westchester apartment would provide you reasonable access to all of these sites.I grew up in this area and can vouch for its easy access to nearly all hospital locations.
Hofstra also has clerkships ranging throughout LI and NYC, commuting on LI is a bit more of a hassle thanks to traffic (after attending SBU as an undergrad I have become all to familiar with this) though I wouldn't say it's too terrible.

While NYMC's curriculum is block based, there are integrated medicine courses throughout the first and second years to tie everything together. These are combined with small group workshops (read PEARLS) and preceptorships. Gaining more clinical experience out of this will require a real interest but I know a lot of students do it.

NYMC is also in the process of opening an on-campus simulation center for this fall, and just acquired the former IBM campus just behind the residence halls, for future development, ready to begin opening this fall as well. I believe these will contain the iBio incubator, and potentially some new professional programs (Nursing, dentistry, PA, etc.).

Im going with NYMC, I've seen their match lists year after year, I know the faculty, and I can see how students who want experience are getting it without question. I can

Also, as a side note. I really don't like how hofstra encouraged students to take out private LIJ loans as opposed to FAFSA. While they may be waived granted you go to work for North-shore LIJ, they just as easily may not be. Also, if you dont end up doing a residency with LIJ, you can be looking at variable interest rate loans with less repayment options than federal.

Fed loans on the other hand come with a ton of repayment options, fixed interest, and are forgivable after 10yrs.

Just my two cents.

did u get accepted to both nymc and hofstra

Interviewed at Hofstra, then rejected the morning after I put in a deposit at NYMC (are they able to see that I did that?). Im not sure this even matters though, I was never too certain Hofstra was a good option for me. A lot of people said they didn't get a good vibe from NYMC on their visit, I definitely felt the same way about Hofstra. I realize that this all has to do with the timing of these interviews but it really felt like the same LI attitude I dealt with at SBU.

That said, the facilities were beautiful and it seemed like the faculty really cared. I choked a bit during my interview though (it was my first) and I cant say I felt very confident leaving that day. I interviewed MD/PhD right after hurricane sandy on a makeshift day where my selected interviewers were substituted with whoever was available. It was an odd atmosphere that day and it didn't leave me feeling well...

Also, it took me 4 hours to get back to westchester through LI/NYC traffic.

Anyway, like I said I had decided on NYMC before I even knew of Hofstra's decision and their rejection really meant little to me. I have more options at NYMC and can continue the research Im doing now, hopefully as a MD/PhD.

Status
Not open for further replies.