hold for applause..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eilat87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So in my school.. everyone applauses after each lecture given to us by the faculty.. Does this happen in your school? And if it does, is this a medical school thing/tradition?

Members don't see this ad.

So in my school.. everyone applauses after each lecture given to us by the faculty.. Does this happen in your school? And if it does, is this a medical school thing/tradition?
My class seems to applaud any time we have a guest lecturer, which definitely makes sense to me, but they never really applaud the resident faculty lecturers (they might have on the first day, but I can't really remember.) That would be kind of weird if we had to applaud every hour for the next two years...

Wouldn't know.. don't go to so many lectures...;)

Members don't see this ad :)
So it isn't just my school....

Yeah, people applaud at the end of every single lecture here. I thought the applause at the end of the lecture was pretty normal for the first week of med school...... then people just continued to applaud at the end of every lecture.... every day.... this is like the 5th month into med school now, and still with the applause! I don't physically attend lecture anymore, but I still find it hilarious hearing the applause at the end of the lecture on my podcasts.

It's just to stroke their ego so they continue to think they are great at teaching....this holds specially true for the guest lecturers and probably why our Dean insisted on 100% attendance to their classes.

Yeah, many of my classmates applaud at the end of every lecture as well. Funny thing is, some of our faculty actually ask us to stop applauding for them :laugh:.

Oh, and didn't they knock on wood/desks back in the 1800s towards the end of a lecture? Not sure if it was limited as tradition in a certain country (Britain), or also in the US. Too lazy to look up on it right now.

My class applauded our very first lecture and any guest lecturers we've had since then. The last time a normal faculty member received an applause was when they finished their lecture (the last lecture on a Friday) thirty minutes early. They literally received a standing-ovation for that one.

Out of all our professors,I would say that Dr Boesler consistently gets a good round of applause. Awesome OPP instructor.

Yeah. We're halfway through second year and people still clap after every lecture. Apathy and exhaustion have whittled it down to a core group of about 10 people who clap every time. (Student Government types who've had their perky chips turned up to level 10.)

So, get used to it. A few of us have tried to spread the stop clapping gospel, but it keeps going.

We applaud after every lecture and give a standing ovation at a lecturers last lecture.
Its out of respect, not obligation.

We applaud after every lecture and give a standing ovation at a lecturers last lecture.

Last lecture until when? If someone's retiring, I can understand, or if it's at the end of year two and you'll never see that lecturer again. But if it's their last lecture for the block or something, it's kind of weird.

The whole applause thing is weird. We applaud for guest lecturers and sometimes if one of our professors puts something together outside the norm, we'll applaud (an anatomy professor put together a great animation on cardiac stuff and we clapped for him when it was over). But day-to-day stuff, no one claps.

Members don't see this ad :)
People put a lot of effort into putting together a medical school lecture. Show some respect, and give them a bit of positive feedback and appreciation.

I don't remember applauding after every lecture, but definitely remember standing O's for the professors last lecture. To answer the question above, standing ovation for the last time you would have that professor lecture ever.

People put a lot of effort into putting together a medical school lecture. Show some respect, and give them a bit of positive feedback and appreciation.

Sounds hokey to me. Some professors lecture every day. Do you really applaud after every lecture they give? Many undergrad professors put a lot of effort into putting together lectures too. Do you applaud in undergrad?

Sounds hokey to me. Some professors lecture every day. Do you really applaud after every lecture they give? Many undergrad professors put a lot of effort into putting together lectures too. Do you applaud in undergrad?

Now? Yes
Undergrad? Never
Difference? No idea

We applauded once: Our last lecture on a Friday concluded 20 minutes early. Guy got a standing ovation. Clapping would have lasted longer, but it was a stampede to the exit.

I don't remember applauding after every lecture, but definitely remember standing O's for the professors last lecture. To answer the question above, standing ovation for the last time you would have that professor lecture ever.

Well its in the student handbook now that we must applaud after every lecture. Its not that big of a deal, it was awkward at first but now its just habit. I think the current third year class passed a resolution in the student senate to enact it... but i really have no clue.

Last lecture until when? If someone's retiring, I can understand, or if it's at the end of year two and you'll never see that lecturer again. But if it's their last lecture for the block or something, it's kind of weird.

The whole applause thing is weird. We applaud for guest lecturers and sometimes if one of our professors puts something together outside the norm, we'll applaud (an anatomy professor put together a great animation on cardiac stuff and we clapped for him when it was over). But day-to-day stuff, no one claps.

Yes after every lecture no matter it they still have more lectures that week.
The standing ovation is for the last lecture of that semester. Most of our professors only teach one course so it is truly their last lecture with us however we do have a few that will lecture again in future semesters.

It's just to stroke their ego so they continue to think they are great at teaching....this holds specially true for the guest lecturers and probably why our Dean insisted on 100% attendance to their classes.

This

However I will say when it's a medical student delivering a lecture to us I appreciate the effort they put in to preparing it which is why I clap. Or a new guest lecturer for that matter.

Yeah. We're halfway through second year and people still clap after every lecture. Apathy and exhaustion have whittled it down to a core group of about 10 people who clap every time. (Student Government types who've had their perky chips turned up to level 10.)

So, get used to it. A few of us have tried to spread the stop clapping gospel, but it keeps going.

This is basically what happens in our classes...a few people might clap but it's not exactly a rip-roaring standing ovation. (Even Karen Nichols didn't get one of those when she came in November!) If it's a class people aren't thrilled about ("patient dynamics"), applause is rare. Guest faculty aren't treated any differently then standard faculty.

we applaud for guest lecturers aaaaaanddd the OMM faculty. only the OMM faculty, nobody else. why? i don't know and i don't know who starts it either.

disclaimer: i''m not sure if this still stands. i havent't been to OMM lecture since the beginning of semester.