hold/wait list status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wiggy

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does the hold/wait list process work?
Do the schools make decide on these cases after deposits have been received, or are the hold files reviewed continually?

Members don't see this ad.

Dear Wiggy,
I think they will not start accepting students on the waitlist until May (but I may be wrong for some schools). The reason being is that there are people who made deposits to two or more different schools and did not make a decision on what school they want to go to until the final deadline in May when they have to pay more money. That's when they will have more slots available and will start going down the waitlist. Except of course for TUCOM, because they are planning to take apprx. 60 plus students from the waitlist once they get approval from the AOA. That's my 2 cents. Viviane

Wiggy,

If you do not mind, i would like to know what your numbers (MCAT, GPA) were for being wait listed? You can e-mail me if you want, thanks...

Members don't see this ad :)
I am on the alternate list at Nova.
My stats are:
3.30 Science GPA
3.26 Overall GPA
3.70 Graduate GPA
MCAT: 9V 8P 8B N
BS in Psychology
MS in Psychology
MPH in Public Health (May '99)
Volunteer work in Mexico
400 Hour internship in a hospital

Hope this helps.

Premed1

I have been accepted to COMP
smile.gif

Premed1,

That is depressing...I have lower stats than that, so basiclly I am out of the mix!!!
But that is Ok, life does go on.
Thank you...

Sparhawk-
Don't give up!!! My GPA undergrad was a 2.97 (graduated 1990 2 majors). My MS (1992) a 3.3, higher now in post-grad courses. My MCAT, below average. BUT.. I had some unique experience (besides being a molecular biologist) I volunteered with a DO state organization, attended every meeting and shadowed 5 different DO's. This allowed me to get a state organization letter (weighed heavier than a single DO letter). How did I find a state organization? Through the yellow pages I asked several DO's, called the AOA. I also attended a bunch of Osteopathic Conventions to learn more about OMT and the future of Osteopathy (find out this info on the AOA web proffesional section).

If you do not get in this year. Try to find a state org. in your area. Volunteer more. Write about your volunteer experiences and the conferences you attend in your AACOMAS essay. Apply to AACOMAS early (You can start submitting transcripts as early as April (call to confirm). I hand delivered my application May 29th and used a money order to speed processing.

It is your essay and your DO letters that will be looked at, especially if you apply early. If GPA is below a 3.0, take a class/2 at a community college NOW and get an A, (i.e. behavioral sciences classes are good if you are low in this area as I was). Retake the MCAT if it is below 22 (remember they will HOLD you until Oct. to get August MCAT scores! so if it is above a 22 don't bother)

Good luck.
e.mail me if you have more questions
smile.gif
Diane

[This message has been edited by Diane E (edited 02-18-99).]