Holding a Class Office in Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOby

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do residency directors prefer students who have been class officers? Is it advisable to hold an office or more important to focus exclusively on one's studies? Thank you in advance to those who might express their opinions!
Best wishes to all Class of 2005ers!

Members don't see this ad.

i'm just a first year osteo. med. student, so i can't comment on what characteristics--other than board scores, grades, and the dean's letter--residency programs use to distinguish between applicants ("age" of the applicant is noteworthy information for certain residency areas). however, the responsibility of the office appointments held by first-year students at my school are comical. i can't imagine an acquired class appointment (besides maybe class president or vice president) serving any beneficial purpose in residency matching. if in fact you're interested in being elected to a class counsel, serve because you'd like to help your school rather than better your odds at residency placement.

p.s. class appointments really won't affect your studying or exam performance at all. the service required really is negligible.

Members don't see this ad :)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Vegeta:

p.s. class appointments really won't affect your studying or exam performance at all. the service required really is negligible.

That is if you decide to sit on your ass...which is a major CONTRAINDICATION to becomming a class officer. However if you decide to play an active role in your school or community, your strength of character may increase, and you may be a more attractive residency applicant.

That said, if you become a class officer solely to "look good for residency directors", you will be doing an injustice to yourself, and more importantly to your class.

1) Don't be a class officer if you are just looking to pad your CV. If you do it right, it is a lot of work but worth it. If you are a typical selfish wad, you won't do your class, yourself or your school any good.

2) I'm glad some people qualified their responses with IMHO. They probably aren't class officers and probably haven't applied to residency yet or even know about sacrificing time and effort for the betterment of your class and school.

3) I am a class officer at my school and am also involved in MSGA. We are sometimes the only student voice in a very big machine that would run over our concerns if a few students didn't represent the rest.

4) Yes, if you play your cards right and do a good job you will earn the respect of the administration, your attendings and your fellow classmates. That will take you a long way into optimizing your chances of a successful career.

I can't say for sure whether it will help landing a good residency. The feedback I have received says it will. If your looking to get a highly sought after residency, you will be competing with those who made the grades, high class rank and board scores and had time and energy to round out their med school career with extra activities and community involvement.

I ran for class office last year and was elected on one of the committees at school. It didn't take much work out of my schedule but thats because I wasn't the Pres, VP, Secretary or Treasurer. I would say that run for class office only if you want to make some changes at your school. There is no need to become President of the class to make it look good on your CV because it really doesn't count that much. The doctor I worked for in my junior year of undergrad is a residency director at one of the hospitals in New York and he told me straight out that Board scores and grades mattered most to him. So, focus on that. Good Luck.