Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Holding a "spot" at one school while waiting to get accepted to another

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by pathdr2b, Sep 4, 2002.

  1. pathdr2b

    pathdr2b Membership Revoked
    Removed

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2002
    Messages:
    2,192
    Likes Received:
    1
    Re: What??
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by pathdr2b
    As for "holding" an accepted space, how many people on this very web site do the exact same thing while "waiting" to get into the school of their choice? Again, stop being so naive!

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    lousydr2b,

    Many of us were rejected from multiple waitlists and are reapplying because of "intelligent" and "ethical" people like you.

    Outraged,
    shamthis
    ____________________________________________________

    This came up in another thread (appealing a rejection) and I thought it might make an interesting topic.

    Some people on the other thread seem think its unethical to hold a spot while waiting to get into your #1 choice school. While I don't have an opinion one way or another, I think it's true that many students do it. But I also believe strongly in my own ability to eventually get accepted into medical school. The ONLY people that NEVER become physicians are the ones that stop trying!
     
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

  3. SMW

    SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2001
    Messages:
    3,760
    Likes Received:
    1
    It is TOTALLY ok to hold an acceptance while waiting to get into your 1st choice (or any higher choice than the one you're holding). If you get in off the waitlist at a preferred school, you drop the acceptance you're holding, and someone else gets in off their waitlist. What's the big deal? I can't imagine what the controversy is. You can even hold multiple acceptances until a certain date (May 15th, I believe).
     
  4. There might be some confusion here. The original post mentioned deferring a year and applying the next year for admission to your top choice--while holding the deferral all along. That kind of insurance is unethical and unfair to anybody who is waitlisted. I am certain everyone will agree.
     
  5. GuitarMan

    GuitarMan Guitarman for President
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    May 21, 2002
    Messages:
    81
    Likes Received:
    0
    SMW is totally correct, but the original post (from the thread referenced by the OP) suggested accepting a position this year, requesting a deferrment, and applying again next year. I don't know whether this is legal/ethical or not, and I really don't care.

    However, it seems to me, if you aren't interested in attending a particular school, you shouldn't apply there in the first place and therefore wouldn't need to defer and hope for a place you want to go. Also, if you did follow this advice, it seems you would have to indicate on the application that you had applied to med school previously. If this was questioned in an interview, and it came out that you were holding a deferred spot from the previous year at another school, I don't think the adcom would remain interested in pursuing your application. I could be wrong. The OP said he know's people that have done this, but it sounds questionable to me.
     
  6. SMW

    SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2001
    Messages:
    3,760
    Likes Received:
    1
    OK, yes, I was a little confused. But what about this situation (which I am in). I'm holding an acceptance from a very expensive east coast top 10 school. I have deferred for a year. I was waitlisted at my state school (which is UWSOM, because Alaska does not have a med school). I did not get in off the waitlist. Am I justified in reapplying to my state school due to financial considerations? (I'm not doing it, but have considered it). Even lilycat was not sure of the answer to this one. :confused:
     
  7. Don't know either- but you're a shoe-in to Pitt with an ethical dilemma like that! :D
     
  8. tBw

    tBw totally deluded
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2001
    Messages:
    5,442
    Likes Received:
    16
    SMW - I think the answer lies in what agreement you made with the medical school on the east coast. Some schools only allow deferment if you agree that you will not be applying elsewhere in the interim, and that you guarantee that you will come there. Although they cannot at the end of the day force you to attend, if such agreement has been reached, then it is likely that another medical school would not consider your application anyway as, at the end of the day, they do talk, and they do cooperate (to some extent).
     
  9. moo

    moo 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2000
    Messages:
    1,423
    Likes Received:
    6
    SMW, my understanding is this: At least with AMCAS schools, most schools will make you apply EDP the next year to the school you deferred at. So, because the rules of EDP force you to go to the school you apply to, you cannot matriculate any where else. However, Columbia, where you deferred at, is obviously non-AMCAS so I have no idea what I would do in your case, maybe try calling them or the UW?
     
  10. SMW

    SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2001
    Messages:
    3,760
    Likes Received:
    1
    sham this, unfortunately I didn't have this dilemma when I was applying to Pitt! :D However, I do think I had a pretty good ethical dilemma (whether to apply as URM or not), but apparently they weren't impressed. Rejected pre-interview forthwith, and after I had agonized over that essay!!

    boy wonder, the agreement with my non-AMCAS east coast school was pretty loose. They will not require me to reapply ED; all they want is a letter from me in March stating that I plan to matriculate in 2003.
     
  11. SMW

    SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2001
    Messages:
    3,760
    Likes Received:
    1
    Yep, moo, I am still mulling it over.


    :laugh: Sorry, but this is driving me crazy. it's shoo-in, as in "shoo, fly," NOT shoe-in. (you're not the first!) ;)
     
  12. pathdr2b

    pathdr2b Membership Revoked
    Removed

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2002
    Messages:
    2,192
    Likes Received:
    1
    SMW,

    You might want to try this approach. I read this in a book written by an MD about a student that did the following and got into his/her state school. This individual is also now an MD.

    Take your letter of acceptance from Columbia to your state school and ask them to reconsider your application. When they see a school like Columbia is interested in you they might be willing to give you a shot. Like I said I read that this worked for a student and when I think of the book, I'll post it.
     
  13. SMW

    SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2001
    Messages:
    3,760
    Likes Received:
    1
    Did this person reapply, or just show them the letter during the same application cyle? What is the title of the book or name of the author?
     
  14. pathdr2b

    pathdr2b Membership Revoked
    Removed

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2002
    Messages:
    2,192
    Likes Received:
    1
    I think the book is "Getting into Medical School" by Sanford Brown, MD and can be found on-line or at most medical bookstores. Unfortunately, I no longer have my copy so I can't confirm this. No, this person did not reapply, but showed the state school the letter during the same application cycle.

    Good Luck!
     
  15. lilycat

    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2000
    Messages:
    2,774
    Likes Received:
    4
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    Ah, SMW's dilemma has resurfaced...

    Did you ever end up getting in touch with Ruby Mason or Verity Powell to see what their advice was? I'm sure in all their years of premed advising they MUST have come across this situation before.

    I think my gut feeling is still that you probably *shouldn't* reapply to UW this year, but I suppose it doesn't hurt to talk to the schools about it. I mean, Columbia isn't going to rescind your admission just because you want to clarify the rules surrounding your deferment.

    Definitely a tough call.
     
  16. lady bug

    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2002
    Messages:
    578
    Likes Received:
    1
    I know one girl who plans to defer her DO school acceptance, then reapply to MD schools again, if she gets into only DO the first time around....therefore holding her DO spot for security. She says that the DO schools wouldn't know about this because aacomas and amcas don't communicate with each other. Is this true? Is this allowed?
     

Share This Page