Hole punches...Give me the truth and only the truth please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AM4EVA

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok guys

so im really trying my bestest and hardest and i can do 50-65% on the other subsections of the PAT in crack the pat but hole punches...a whole difft story
so does it really get this intense i mean there are examples in the crack the pat that have the paper folded four times, flipped etc etc
please help!!
i have gone and checked out several of the videos recommended here on the forum but they seem so hard that i lose focus and just cant even focus to answer them all..yikes!!!:scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Yes i have it is a helpful video i actually learned alot from it...Idk maybe i get overwhelmed.and tired Im just not sure exactly what it is
..sigh....:confused::confused::confused::eek::eek::eek:

Sent from my SGH-T989 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes i have it is a helpful video i actually learned alot from it...Idk maybe i get overwhelmed.and tired Im just not sure exactly what it is
..sigh....:confused::confused::confused::eek::eek::eek:

I was also going to suggest the line of symmetry video as well. Are you drawing your tick tack toe diagrams and doing it step by step? I tell you I was sweating the hole punch until this video and after than there was very few that could trip me up. Try it again and do them very slowly until you get it. Don't try to do it in your head!

I was in the same boat as you in the beginning for the hole punching. After I watched the youtube video I practiced the technique by drawing the grids and doing the Kaplan practice questions. If you have the Kaplan blue book I recommend mastering the technique with that, because it is much easier than CDP. Once I got used to solving the problems I did the CDP questions, but I still used the grids. Now I'm at the point where I can just estimate quickly in my head where the hole punches will be, and I usually get around 14-15 in the section.

Angles is still killing me though :/. I'm getting 22s in CDP, and the 7-9 I get wrong in angles is holding me back from a really good score.

I usually got 14/15 of the hole punches right on Crack PAT. They were SO much harder on the real thing. I got folds I didn't know existed, and some of the holes were tiny and in weird spots. My PAT section almost gave me a nervous breakdown, and I was very confident going in to the test

So, anyhow, study those punches in any way you can. The ones on Crack aren't that bad once you get the hang of them! :) I sucked at the PAT stuff when I first started (especially TFE, which seemed impossible) but quickly picked up speed. Don't give up!

Hi there :) I definitely recommend looking for lines of symmetry. Also, do as many practice tests as you can over and over again. Soon enough, you will get better and better! You'll start recognizing similar hole-punching patterns, and it'll get easier for you. On my DAT, I did have up to 4 folds. Some were more difficult than the Crack PAT, but you should be fine if you get a lot of practice. Don't get discouraged and good luck! :)

Thank you thank you everyone
Im gonna practice as qualitatively as i possibly can from now till Friday...hopefully it begins to set in lol

honestly hole punching on CDP is cake. On my real DAT I thought it was easier but if you can handle CDP good then that section will be a breeze.

Tic-tac-toe method. This is where you should be getting 100%'s. Before you start the PAT section, draw on your white-board however many (20?) modified tic-tac-toe grids for hole-punching section. It goes without saying that you need to practice.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Acne75iojno[/youtube]

All it is is practice...over and over and over again. It sucks at first, I jumped right in and it took forever to figure it out, but once I started using the tic tac toe diagram and just burning through problems on CDP, it came fast. Dont time yourself at first, you need to grasp the types of folds and what they are doing to the holes before you can become fast. It will come, dont worry. The questions on the test were easier than Crack Dat PAT. Just keep practicing and dont get discouraged, it will become an easy part of the test for you.

Thats what I did, and it worked for me, nailed it and got a 23 on the PAT