Holiday gifts for my recommenders

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shejeboshease

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i have been talking to my premedical advisor for the past five years -since my freshman year in college. she has been helpful and has done to her best with advising me and writing letters and all that. now that i got accepted to a med school, i feel that i should really give her something to show my gratitude. since i already graduated, i would have to mail it to her. now, what do you guys think would be an appropriate gift for her? and how much should i spend on it?
possible ideas:

gift card from starbucks?
fancy thank you card?
gift card from target?

i'm sure there are lots of other choices that i'm forgetting. what did you guys do?

Members don't see this ad.

so i have been talking to my premedical advisor for the past five years -since my freshman year in college. she has been helpful and has done to her best with advising me and writing letters and all that. now that i got accepted to a med school, i feel that i should really give her something to show my gratitude. since i already graduated, i would have to mail it to her. now, what do you guys think would be an appropriate gift for her? and how much should i spend on it?
possible ideas:

fancy thank you card?
gift card from target?

i'm sure there are lots of other choices that i'm forgetting. what did you guys do?

Imported beer in a bottle (NOT in a can).

Definitely a card. If she went above and beyond, a $10 gc to Starbucks or somewhere you know she'd like.

Members don't see this ad :)
possible ideas:

fancy thank you card?
gift card from target?

If you decide to go with beer, make that shaken, not stirred.

I've done gift cards to restaurants in the past. I'll probably do something similar to that again. I'd try not to pick something to a particular type of cuisine though since you dont know if they'd like that but maybe something more general. It also depends on much $ you'd have. I'd prob do a 30 dollar giftcard or something, but doing a 10 dollar one wouldnt seem appropriate unless its for smaller purchases like starbucks as you mentioned. Also giving giftcards to starbucks and target means they'll just use it to buy stuff they'd have bought anyways, whereas giving them a certificate towards a restaurant or a store like bed bath beyond or some other place they may get something or go somewhere they may not have otherwise.

It would be awesome if your recommender and your student host are one and the same. Thsi way you only buy one gift.

Also giving giftcards to starbucks and target means they'll just use it to buy stuff they'd have bought anyways, whereas giving them a certificate towards a restaurant or a store like bed bath beyond or some other place they may get something or go somewhere they may not have otherwise.

are you saying my recommender can't afford to buy stuff from bed & beyond on her own?