Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

HOLY **** It's May 1; who's going to NYU?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by BioMedResearch, May 1, 2004.

?

NYU Status as of May 1- a.k.a. DEADLINE

1. I was accepted and will be attending this fall

10 vote(s)
    22.7%
  2. I was accepted and will not be attending this fall

15 vote(s)
    34.1%
  3. I am on the waitlist

19 vote(s)
    43.2%
  1. BioMedResearch

BioMedResearch Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Who's got the bucks and is moving to Rubin?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. secretmiss

secretmiss Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

NOt Me....

I really wish I was going to NYU but it just didn't work out.

4. BioMedResearch

7+ Year Member

bump, any more?

5. Super Rob

Super Rob Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Quite possible. As of today, they are only my SECOND most expensive option. I need to figure out whether or not it will be pointless to go there if I do primary care. I would like to keep it an option. I also need to look into the honors program and see if I can snag something for this summer. I have been dreaming to live and work in Manhattan for such a long time that this seems like almost too good an opportunity to pass up. I need to see the school again and talk to more students. Every school should organize a second look weekend.

6. BioMedResearch

7+ Year Member

Received U of Michigan's package today. With $0 EFC I was given total loans and told that per year budget is $60,000. WTF? How can NYU be any cheaper. I can't afford to ask my parents for $ and can't understand how NYU thinks they are going to be cheaper than Ann Arbor. Downstate is looking better and better. The next 2 weeks are going to suck!!!

7. Newquagmire

15+ Year Member

is it bad if i thought monday was may 1st?

8. BioMedResearch

7+ Year Member

Nah, I believe you should prolong the accumulation of debt as long as possible.

I think if you want your deposit back it'll be annoying to do so, but if you're trying to hold a spot then I can't see them being jerks.

9. Newquagmire

15+ Year Member

sorry yall, would love to join you but it's just going to hurt my already anorexic wallet too much.

10. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    a lot of declines here. interesting.

11. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    and youre going?

12. BioMedResearch

7+ Year Member

and what about yourself?

13. TheFlash

TheFlash Playtime Is Over
    10+ Year Member

BMR, you do a lot of NYU bashing on these boards for no apparent reason. Are you waitlisted and trying to make people drop acceptances? If so-- :rolleyes:

14. Newquagmire

15+ Year Member

1) welcome to new york
    2) probably more an effect of low nih funding and really shouldnt be considered too much. i think they will improve.
    3) you're talking about decrepid dorms and you want to go to columbia? the noise isn't that bad anymore.
    4) it happens everywhere. deal.
    5) can't speak on this one.
    6) there are some pretty good labs there, you just have to know where to find them. there is the odd chance that they would be recruited away though.

15. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    im confused, are you accepted at NYU or not?

16. Newquagmire

15+ Year Member

it's a good school, but there is a noticeable "lack of support" as you said in an earlier post. stay on as many waitlists as you want, you never know where and when you'll have a chance. it's just as erratic as the rest of the application process.

17. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    So you are waitlisted to NYU?

18. scootad.

scootad. Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I find the nyu bashing particularly amusing considering the fact that when nyu moves up a few spots in the ranking back in the top 25 as is bound to happen w/ these flimsy rankings everyone will start praising the school ignoring the "rude emails" and "loud construction."

19. BigRedPingpong

BigRedPingpong Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Well There are two songs that get sung:

The I got Wait-listed/rejection song: "Damn that School X's staff was so rude, mean, and didn't give me the red carpet entrance. They suck. I hate school X. They are not top 30 anyway. Also, the location sucks. I don't suck, it's not my fault--It's their loss."

The I got in song: Oh my school X is the shiet! We are better than Harvard. In fact, what do US news know about medical schools? So ambiguous. My school rocks- students are so nice, faculty are outstanding and we have great research opportunities. They look past my MCAT and GPA and see the true things that make a good doctor like my third author publication on homosexuality in prisons, the one time I washed test-tubes for a PI and she let me put my name on her paper, and the fact that I volunteered at a hospital while I was in junior high. That gave me exactly what I need to become a great doctor. La la la la. I'm going to go on lying to myself now. My school rocks!

20. BioMedResearch

7+ Year Member

I nearly spit up my soda all over my computer reading this one :laugh:

21. CUEMS-MD

CUEMS-MD Junior Member

B-U-M-P ;)

curious where everyone else who was accepted and not attending is going

22. LetMeFixYou

LetMeFixYou Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

From those accepted what do you think made your application the strongest? Research, community service, EC's, grades? Did this come up in your interview?

I'm trying to write my AMCAS but want to hit on the key points that schools like NYU, Sinaid, Cornel, and other big city schools like.

Thanks and congrats good luck.

23. movingonup

movingonup Member
    7+ Year Member

gong to UF... i think i got a great in state option that just beats NYU in terms of price. It was a tough decision. What turned it around for me was trying to talk to the fin aid office woman who basically didn't give a ****.

24. Super Rob

Super Rob Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

She might be a really nice person if you ever met her, but over the phone... damn. After the conversation I had with her, I didn't want to have anything to do with NYU.

I feel like I'm just coming to my senses now. I can't really judge a school by the person who answers the phone in financial aid. NYU is a busy place and nobody will ever accuse them of being warm and fuzzy. Then again, they have a lot to offer and a location that is ideal for some med students.

25. LetMeFixYou

LetMeFixYou Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

NO love??? :oops:

26. Sadame

Sadame Member
    7+ Year Member

well i dunno what i did to make my application strong, but i can tell you what i had on my amcas. just pm me. i'd rather not post my stats here b/c some people view that as bragging or whatever.

27. CUEMS-MD

CUEMS-MD Junior Member

so i guess today is the last official day even if they did want it in on May 1

i'll be representing in Maryland but curious where everyone else is going now that this nightmare is all over

good luck and congratulations to all us future doctors and all us graduating

28. krebse

krebse Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Alright all you NYU acceptees - strictly numbers - do I have a shot at an interview at the fine institution that accepted you?

MCAT = 30Q - 11 VR, 8 PS, 11 BS - 3.4 cum undergrad GPA from Carleton college, 3.1 BCPM there also, 40 credits or so of 4.0 paramedic school at a community college that (I think) will get added into the cum GPA and make me look better at first glance.

29. MissionComplete

MissionComplete Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Isn't this like deja-vu all over again?

Well funny you say that, because next year I am convinced will be a STRICTLY NUMBERS game. With them moving to AMCAS there will be a FLOOD, maybe even a TIDAL WAVE, of applicants and as a result, it will become even more "number-centric." My guess is that your numbers will get you through the first or second screening but if you'll get an interview... no one knows. Eitherway, next year is going to be a tough application cycle. The same story applies to Columbia but of course it'll be even higher "numbers."