HOLY **** It's May 1; who's going to NYU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYU Status as of May 1- a.k.a. DEADLINE

• I was accepted and will be attending this fall

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • I was accepted and will not be attending this fall

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • I am on the waitlist

Votes: 19 43.2%

• Total voters

BioMedResearch

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who's got the bucks and is moving to Rubin?

Members don't see this ad.

NOt Me....

I really wish I was going to NYU but it just didn't work out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Quite possible. As of today, they are only my SECOND most expensive option. I need to figure out whether or not it will be pointless to go there if I do primary care. I would like to keep it an option. I also need to look into the honors program and see if I can snag something for this summer. I have been dreaming to live and work in Manhattan for such a long time that this seems like almost too good an opportunity to pass up. I need to see the school again and talk to more students. Every school should organize a second look weekend.

Received U of Michigan's package today. With $0 EFC I was given total loans and told that per year budget is $60,000. WTF? How can NYU be any cheaper. I can't afford to ask my parents for $ and can't understand how NYU thinks they are going to be cheaper than Ann Arbor. Downstate is looking better and better. The next 2 weeks are going to suck!!!

Nah, I believe you should prolong the accumulation of debt as long as possible.

I think if you want your deposit back it'll be annoying to do so, but if you're trying to hold a spot then I can't see them being jerks.

sorry yall, would love to join you but it's just going to hurt my already anorexic wallet too much.

a lot of declines here. interesting.

BioMedResearch said:
Not surprising. From previous threads we've seen:

1) Rude e-mails/staff
2) Dropping rankings
3) Decrepid dorms that will now noisier than hell from construction
4) A $4,000 tuition hike this year alone
5) Comical financial aid packages
6) Poor research opportunities

Good luck to everyone!
and youre going?

BMR, you do a lot of NYU bashing on these boards for no apparent reason. Are you waitlisted and trying to make people drop acceptances? If so-- :rolleyes:

BioMedResearch said:
Not surprising. From previous threads we've seen:

1) Rude e-mails/staff
2) Dropping rankings
3) Decrepid dorms that will now noisier than hell from construction
4) A $4,000 tuition hike this year alone
5) Comical financial aid packages
6) Poor research opportunities

Good luck to everyone!

1) welcome to new york
2) probably more an effect of low nih funding and really shouldnt be considered too much. i think they will improve.
3) you're talking about decrepid dorms and you want to go to columbia? the noise isn't that bad anymore.
4) it happens everywhere. deal.
5) can't speak on this one.
6) there are some pretty good labs there, you just have to know where to find them. there is the odd chance that they would be recruited away though.

Members don't see this ad :)
BioMedResearch said:
Actually quite the opposite. One of those individuals who worked super hard, like everyone else, and had this odd delussion that things were going to work out totally different than they have. VERY dissapointed/disturbed by some places (hint, hint, hint), shocked at others, and ecstatic to hear about others.

I think the ultimate slap for me was the financial situation, which is my usual gripe, and the lack of support some schools offer and the plethora that others offer. All in all I've learned that this admissions process is a dehumanizing process that has the ability to break one down through its attempts at anonimity and "fairness."

im confused, are you accepted at NYU or not?

BioMedResearch said:
Thankfully I have a couple acceptances so I'm not in a panic mode.
But, I've been unfortunate enough to become an unofficial waitlist king and have felt that for my own sanity I am only going to maintain spots on places where I feel I have a shot and I know I would be happy. Staying on 10+ waitlist will give me an ulcer.

I think that posting to make spots available is not only disgusting but unethical. With that said I may have taken tones that are one sided but that is because of feelings I have and am curious as to the responses of others. This is an open forum to express ideas and i think that strong statements tend to bring out more honest opinions and i'm trying to use this to help me know what to do and where i could or even should go.

it's a good school, but there is a noticeable "lack of support" as you said in an earlier post. stay on as many waitlists as you want, you never know where and when you'll have a chance. it's just as erratic as the rest of the application process.

BioMedResearch said:
Thankfully I have a couple acceptances so I'm not in a panic mode.
But, I've been unfortunate enough to become an unofficial waitlist king and have felt that for my own sanity I am only going to maintain spots on places where I feel I have a shot and I know I would be happy. Staying on 10+ waitlist will give me an ulcer.

I think that posting to make spots available is not only disgusting but unethical. With that said I may have taken tones that are one sided but that is because of feelings I have and am curious as to the responses of others. This is an open forum to express ideas and i think that strong statements tend to bring out more honest opinions and i'm trying to use this to help me know what to do and where i could or even should go.

So you are waitlisted to NYU?

I find the nyu bashing particularly amusing considering the fact that when nyu moves up a few spots in the ranking back in the top 25 as is bound to happen w/ these flimsy rankings everyone will start praising the school ignoring the "rude emails" and "loud construction."

scootad. said:
I find the nyu bashing particularly amusing considering the fact that when nyu moves up a few spots in the ranking back in the top 25 as is bound to happen w/ these flimsy rankings everyone will start praising the school ignoring the "rude emails" and "loud construction."

Well There are two songs that get sung:

The I got Wait-listed/rejection song: "Damn that School X's staff was so rude, mean, and didn't give me the red carpet entrance. They suck. I hate school X. They are not top 30 anyway. Also, the location sucks. I don't suck, it's not my fault--It's their loss."

The I got in song: Oh my school X is the shiet! We are better than Harvard. In fact, what do US news know about medical schools? So ambiguous. My school rocks- students are so nice, faculty are outstanding and we have great research opportunities. They look past my MCAT and GPA and see the true things that make a good doctor like my third author publication on homosexuality in prisons, the one time I washed test-tubes for a PI and she let me put my name on her paper, and the fact that I volunteered at a hospital while I was in junior high. That gave me exactly what I need to become a great doctor. La la la la. I'm going to go on lying to myself now. My school rocks!

BigRedPingpong said:
like my third author publication on homosexuality in prisons, the one time I washed test-tubes for a PI and she let me put my name on her paper, and the fact that I volunteered at a hospital while I was in junior high

I nearly spit up my soda all over my computer reading this one :laugh:

B-U-M-P ;)

curious where everyone else who was accepted and not attending is going

From those accepted what do you think made your application the strongest? Research, community service, EC's, grades? Did this come up in your interview?

I'm trying to write my AMCAS but want to hit on the key points that schools like NYU, Sinaid, Cornel, and other big city schools like.

Thanks and congrats good luck.

CUEMS-MD said:
B-U-M-P ;)

curious where everyone else who was accepted and not attending is going

gong to UF... i think i got a great in state option that just beats NYU in terms of price. It was a tough decision. What turned it around for me was trying to talk to the fin aid office woman who basically didn't give a ****.

movingonup said:
gong to UF... i think i got a great in state option that just beats NYU in terms of price. It was a tough decision. What turned it around for me was trying to talk to the fin aid office woman who basically didn't give a ****.

She might be a really nice person if you ever met her, but over the phone... damn. After the conversation I had with her, I didn't want to have anything to do with NYU.

I feel like I'm just coming to my senses now. I can't really judge a school by the person who answers the phone in financial aid. NYU is a busy place and nobody will ever accuse them of being warm and fuzzy. Then again, they have a lot to offer and a location that is ideal for some med students.

LetMeFixYou said:
From those accepted what do you think made your application the strongest? Research, community service, EC's, grades? Did this come up in your interview?

I'm trying to write my AMCAS but want to hit on the key points that schools like NYU, Sinaid, Cornel, and other big city schools like.

Thanks and congrats good luck.

NO love??? :oops:

well i dunno what i did to make my application strong, but i can tell you what i had on my amcas. just pm me. i'd rather not post my stats here b/c some people view that as bragging or whatever.

so i guess today is the last official day even if they did want it in on May 1

i'll be representing in Maryland but curious where everyone else is going now that this nightmare is all over

good luck and congratulations to all us future doctors and all us graduating

Alright all you NYU acceptees - strictly numbers - do I have a shot at an interview at the fine institution that accepted you?

MCAT = 30Q - 11 VR, 8 PS, 11 BS - 3.4 cum undergrad GPA from Carleton college, 3.1 BCPM there also, 40 credits or so of 4.0 paramedic school at a community college that (I think) will get added into the cum GPA and make me look better at first glance.

krebse said:
Alright all you NYU acceptees - strictly numbers

Isn't this like deja-vu all over again?

Well funny you say that, because next year I am convinced will be a STRICTLY NUMBERS game. With them moving to AMCAS there will be a FLOOD, maybe even a TIDAL WAVE, of applicants and as a result, it will become even more "number-centric." My guess is that your numbers will get you through the first or second screening but if you'll get an interview... no one knows. Eitherway, next year is going to be a tough application cycle. The same story applies to Columbia but of course it'll be even higher "numbers."