Home Dry Cleaning Kits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

relatively prime

post happy member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
....are a gift from God!!! This is a tip for anyone who has interviews close together... get a "Dryel" kit! For only $10 you can dry clean your suit at home (or any conventional dryer) in only 30 minutes... and the kit comes with enough stuff to dry-clean a suit 4 times. So $10/4 = $2.50 per dry clean.... so it saves you money too! It comes out really nice... no wrinkles... and smells good. It also comes with a really awesome stain removing kit if you need it.

I don't care if this sounds like a commerical... this thing saved my behind! :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

didn't your family make its fortune from selling these things ... sure you don't have stake in this? ... ms. dryel!?:eek:

-jot

Originally posted by jot
didn't your family make its fortune from selling these things ... sure you don't have stake in this? ... ms. dryel!?:eek:

-jot

Yeah, I wish! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
excuse my ignorance; i've never used a washer or dryer before. (flame me if you want) will using this shrink the clothes at all? my suit is wool i think. also, do hotels have a dryer or something?

ps: that 3 suit thing in the other thread is a joke right? :cool:

Originally posted by Street Philosopher
excuse my ignorance; i've never used a washer or dryer before. (flame me if you want) will using this shrink the clothes at all? my suit is wool i think. also, do hotels have a dryer or something?

ps: that 3 suit thing in the other thread is a joke right? :cool:

LOL!!! SP... you can't wash your suit in the sink!! Well... I guess you can... but why would you when you can get a Dryel kit and just throw it in the dryer for 30 minutes? I believe most hotels have dryers.

Don't most hotels have a dry cleaning service? or atleast have the equipment or the means to have your suit pressed?

dude- could i cook popcorn in a dryer??
p

Originally posted by Kry
Don't most hotels have a dry cleaning service? or atleast have the equipment or the means to have your suit pressed?

Yes, but it would be prohibitively expensive (for most pre-meds), and would probably not be ready in time for your early am interview!

And Street Philosopher, yes, the 3 suit thing was a joke! :D

okay i have to ask: we have to clean our suits after each interview?

Depends on how hot it is, how neatly you eat, and whether you, er.... sweat/perspire. Plus it's a good idea to inspect the suit before your interview even if you don't think it needs cleaning. After my second interview in Philly last year, I discovered that the back of my pants had what looked like icing smeared on it. :oops: I don't know when or how it happened. :confused: Luckily it would have been covered by my suit jacket, which I hadn't removed for either interview! :)

i'm sorry, not flaming, but
i've never used a washer or dryer before

:eek: :eek:

How does this kit actually clean the suit? I mean, do you just throw the suit into the dryer with something like fabric softener sheets? I don't get how this removes dirt/sweat. It seems like it would just cover it up and make it smell nice? The kit sounds cool - I'm just wondering how it works.

Also, I hoped this quote meant to say, "I've never used a washer or dryer before on a suit." Yes??? Otherwise, I'm with you Pocwana, on the :eek:. (Not flaming either - also just intrigued.)

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by mystic_b
How does this kit actually clean the suit? I mean, do you just throw the suit into the dryer with something like fabric softener sheets? I don't get how this removes dirt/sweat. It seems like it would just cover it up and make it smell nice? The kit sounds cool - I'm just wondering how it works.

Also, I hoped this quote meant to say, "I've never used a washer or dryer before on a suit." Yes??? Otherwise, I'm with you Pocwana, on the :eek:. (Not flaming either - also just intrigued.)

quote:

I'm not sure... but I assume it works like a professional dry-cleaning place. I know it doesn't just cover up stuff because I had a few deoderant spots on my suit and it got those out! I mean... it's not going to work if you rolled in mud or something... but it's nice if your suit is not that dirty. (and it does come with a stain remover)

i would not put a wool suit in the dryer. i know wool shrinks like crazy in hot water, so i would think a hot dryer would do the same.

Those dryel kits were very helpful last year when I was interviewing. They worked pretty well and were very convenient. If you have alot of interviews and some are back to back, it is very helpful and cheap to not have to get the suit to a cleaners.

If you are in a hotel room and you don't mind wasting water, you can run the shower at the hottest temperature for 20 minutes and let the suit sit in there with the steam. It works just as well as the dryer sheets and it won't cost extra (except to the water supply).

i never used the washer/dryer before. it looks complicated!
when i lived in the dorms i took my laundry home and now that i'm living at home... well... i've never had the need to do it.

amazing eh?

i never used the washer/dryer before. it looks complicated!

And the equipment in chem lab is much simpler to use. :laugh:

at least those things come with instructions!

i could probably figure out how to use it right after a few trials, but i didn't want to shrink or bleach out any clothes by accident :p

Just when exactly are you going to give it a try for the first time? :confused: :D

Hint :hungover:on't try anything tricky, like brassieres! ;)

when the need arises... probably if i move out of town for medical school, unless i find a cool roommate. :D maybe a few days before i leave just for practice. :laugh:

Originally posted by SMW

Hint :hungover:on't try anything tricky, like brassieres! ;)

But that's the only thing SP wears! :D