Home equity line of credit to pay off student loans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paxil_Rose

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I bought a house beginning of this year and now has about 80k equity. I'm just wondering whether HELOC is a good option in the future when my house equity far exceeds my student loans. I currently have 200k+ loans so it's not like I'm gonna go into this right now. I just wanna hear opinions from people who've done it ‍♀️

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I bought a house beginning of this year and now has about 80k equity. I'm just wondering whether HELOC is a good option in the future when my house equity far exceeds my student loans. I currently have 200k+ loans so it's not like I'm gonna go into this right now. I just wanna hear opinions from people who've done it ‍♀️

No no no

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I always read the threads about student loans and have never heard this being recommended.

1. How did you get $80k in equity already with $200k in student loans?

2. This is generally a horrible idea; HELOCs are variable rate and slated to increase in rate.

3. But at least the HELOC would be discharged in bankruptcy, unlike your student loan!

I would not encumber your real property with student loan debt.

Presuming you have federal loans, you essentially turn a debt with extremely flexible terms in case of job loss into one where missing several payments could have you foreclosed upon and homeless.

Maslow's hierarchy...shelter before others (aside from food).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Lol I have like $300k in equity but $240k in student loans. Granted, 2/3 of that was probably from the down payment.

lol thanks for the insight guys. I had no idea this was an unpopular method lol

I got really lucky. The seller was desperate to sell and I got it for 452k. At the same time, the house next door was also for sale for 500k and someone bought it. My zestimate is currently 523k

Lol I have like $300k in equity but $240k in student loans. Granted, 2/3 of that was probably from the down payment.

wtf.gif