Home Health Aide before MD Good Idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tia_bluesky

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all

I have one year left for college but because of health problems I took a year off and didn't do so well in some of my pre reqs. Basically I have to start all over in order to go to medical school ESPECIALLY for extra curriculars and recommendations which is frustrating.
Recently i went into a home health aide informational for my mom just to check it out and even took the admission test for fun, I scored 100 on both tests and was the first to finish my test. I was granted an interview Wednesday something I did not expect. Do you think I should do the home health training and use that on my resume? Would it be good for clinical experience? I actually came home and forbid my mother from doing it because I did not want her doing some of the things they told us HHA do. Also the trainig is for 3 weeks and it's free. The pay is $10/hr.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it would be good exposure. You could really learn if you use your time wisely. I'm curious to know what did they ask you to do that you didn't want your mother doing.

Also, have you retaken those courses you didn't do so well in, or have you improved your GPA by taking upper level courses? If not then I would make that my first priority.

Do you think I should do the home health training and use that on my resume? Would it be good for clinical experience?

Also the trainig is for 3 weeks and it's free. The pay is $10/hr.
Since there's no cost to you, you're taking a break from college right now, and the time investment is minimal, it seems like a good portal to active (paid) clinical experience that will make a med school application stronger.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it would be good exposure. You could really learn if you use your time wisely. I'm curious to know what did they ask you to do that you didn't want your mother doing.

Also, have you retaken those courses you didn't do so well in, or have you improved your GPA by taking upper level courses? If not then I would make that my first priority.

I didn't want my mother cleaning catheters and helping patients use the bathroom and what not. I would rather do that for her. My GPA is actually a 3.5 as of now but I have many B-'s and two C's (one in Into Psychology and one in an upper division bio class).
My concern is that HHA are mostly home caretakers they don't do much medical stuff maybe I should just pay for a course to be a cna?

Since there's no cost to you, you're taking a break from college right now, and the time investment is minimal, it seems like a good portal to active (paid) clinical experience that will make a med school application stronger.

I am wondering if it is cinical the job description doesn't seem so. Should I just invest in a course to be certified as a CNA instead?

What is the job description?[/QUOTE
  • Supports patients by providing housekeeping and laundry services; shopping for food and other household requirements; preparing and serving meals and snacks; running errands. changing linens washing dishes etc
  • Assists patients by providing personal services, such as, bathing, dressing upper and lower body, and grooming.
  • Cleaning urinary catherter and emptying urinary bag
  • helping with toileting and elimination
  • Helps patients care for themselves by teaching use of cane or walker, special utensils to eat, special techniques and equipment for personal hygiene.
  • Helps family members care for the patient by teaching appropriate ways to lift, turn, and re-position the patient; advising on nutrition, cleanliness, and housekeeping.

What is the job description?

• Supports patients by providing housekeeping and laundry services; shopping for food and other household requirements; preparing and serving meals and snacks; running errands. changing linens washing dishes etc
  • Assists patients by providing personal services, such as, bathing, dressing upper and lower body, and grooming.
  • Cleaning urinary catherter and emptying urinary bag
  • helping with toileting and elimination
  • Helps patients care for themselves by teaching use of cane or walker, special utensils to eat, special techniques and equipment for personal hygiene.
  • Helps family members care for the patient by teaching appropriate ways to lift, turn, and re-position the patient; advising on nutrition, cleanliness, and housekeeping.

This job will provide good clinical experience unless its primarily focused on bullet #1: shopping, laundry, cleaning the house, and cooking. But even ER volunteer roles aren't 100% patient interaction and include stocking cabinets and washing beds. You might ask what percent time is focused on general housekeeping duties, but I expect that could be different in each household where you help out.

BTW, in my area $17/hour is the pay for the same job. You might also ask about future raises to expect if you perform well.

Home Health Aide is generally the lowest level of care provider, doing more of a 'babysitting' job than a nursing job. It's hard work with low pay, generally available to the least qualified applicants. For those reasons, it'll look good from an 'altruistic' and 'working with sick people' sense, but won't do anything to advance your skills or demonstrate clinical competence. (That's not a problem. Med School and residency will teach you those things.)

I actually came home and forbid my mother from doing it because I did not want her doing some of the things they told us HHA do.

Frankly, I find that phrase more than a little bit offensive. Presumably, you mother is a legally competent adult?

Reactions: 2 users