home health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gasgasgas

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have y'all heard of home health nurses doing IT pump refills? Got a new pt who wants us to begin managing his IT pump and he told us that he gets his refills done by home health nurse. Talked to rep who says there are 2 companies that do it. Maybe just me but I would feel very wary of anyone else accessing my pt's pumps. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

They do it, but what's in it for you? Liability.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
They do it, but what's in it for you? Liability.
Agree. Liability risk likely outweighs any potential gains. When the nurse ----'s up, of course it will all be "your fault...I did what the doctor told me...he didn't show how to do it...I was uncomfortable but felt pressured to do it..." and so on. And since you're the big doctor with deeper pockets, they'll come after you.

Yet another reason not to do pumps. You just own those patients forever, permanent liability, for a $450 procedure fee.

No thanks.

I agree....pumps are simply not worth the risk (30% complication rate) without financial remuneration and without effectiveness in most patients long term.

Thanks for the input. That's what I figured too. Problem is I work w a neurosurgery group and that's the appeal of having me -- so that I can manage the pumps. I don't really have much of a choice in the matter. Luckily great reps and I actually do like the neurosurgeons and we refer back/forth.

Thanks for the input. That's what I figured too. Problem is I work w a neurosurgery group and that's the appeal of having me -- so that I can manage the pumps. I don't really have much of a choice in the matter. Luckily great reps and I actually do like the neurosurgeons and we refer back/forth.
The neurosurgeons make you manage their pumps?

Yup. Haven't started having to do it (yet). I don't do my own implants either.

Is this an unusual thing or something? Figured it came w the territory.

What kinds of patients are they putting pumps in? Hope not their failed fusions.

pumps only for cancer pain patients not tolerant to the systemic side effects of their opioid therapy.

and epidural pumps for those with <3 months who may require/benefit from an epidural block...