Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Home institution for MBA or away

Discussion in 'Med Business [ MD/MBA, DO/MBA, DDS/MBA ]' started by StevenRF, Dec 24, 2008.

1. StevenRF

StevenRF Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm noticing the M7 schools are all moving to "targeted" curriculums, picking their niches and bringing in a lot of faculty and speakers related to those. Do you think that that benefit, as well as the network / branding, is worth it compared the extra year and costs of an integrated program? I feel like the MBA is more of a practical experience vs academic where the knowledge is the same regardless. My friends at firm jobs think I'm an idiot for even asking them this, and while I'm very heavily favoring leaving for a top3, just wanted to get some other opinions.

I'd delve into specifics, but the adcoms are actually patrolling forums like this. They caught a few people over at business week forums and dinged them.
    Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DrMojorisin

DrMojorisin Member
    5+ Year Member

Without knowing your situation, its easy to advise you to go to a top school.

BUT,

if you have family and friends that you'd rather not leave behind or other investments into the community you're already in, a lack of financial support from parents or spouse, only a curiosity in MBA, rather than the drive to end up on wall street, then maybe its not such a good idea.

I don't think the top 3 MBA is worth it unless you have enormous drive/ambition, and are willing to sacrifice many things in your long climb to the top

4. DrJosephKim

DrJosephKim Advisor
    Physician SDN Advisor 7+ Year Member

Remember that one of the key values of an MBA is the networking experience. What type of people do you want to meet? Potential CEOs and presidents? Potential small business owners?

Also, how do you think an MBA will advance your career? As physicians, the value of an MBA is quite different compared to non-physicians.

5. oneironaut

oneironaut New Member
    10+ Year Member

I will defer to Dr. Kim everytime.

Let me just add B school is different then Med School in that reputation matters *much much much much* more in the business world. And yes, an enormous part of it is the strength of the connections you make and the strength of the alumni you have access to for the rest of your life.

Please- go to the best possible school you can get into. Yes the education is going to be the same- but the value over your lifetime is what counts.

6. arrhythmia7

arrhythmia7 New Member
    5+ Year Member

I've addressed this in previous threads, but you either need to go to a top 5 business school, or not waste your money. Period. As suggested above, b-school is much different than med school. Firms such as McKinsey, GS, that recruit at top 5 schools don't even have information sessions at other places. Furthermore, even from a top school, your starting salary in a non-clinical position will be a good deal lower than what you will make in virtually any clinical position, so it is really the long-term trajectory that is going to become important. If you have aspirations of attaining a 7 figure salary +bonus without starting your own business, you need a pedigree.
    Finally, realize that in the last 6 months, everything has changed. The days of places like McKinsey hiring MDs without much else to offer because it's the trendy thing to do are over. I'm at Kellogg right now, and most students didn't get jobs offfers from anyone this year. There is going to be a huge back-up of people with real expertise in finance and marketing waiting hungrily for the same spots you want. You need an MBA from a top school in addition to your MD if you're trying to enter a top non-clinical healthcare-related position in corporate America. You also need to speculate that the economy is going to make a massive turnaround in the next 2-3 years, or you may as well save your money and focus on the thing you spent the last 8 years training for....being a doctor.

7. StevenRF

StevenRF Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

As of now I'm in at Anderson and waitlisted at Stanford GSB. Unfortunately last year they only pulled one off the WL out of a 110 or something ridiculous, so I guess Ill be at my home institution anyway. Thanks for the advice though.

It's quite a bummer that the economy has to tank now, as I would prefer to find a non clinical position that's more quantitative and analytical... engineering (med devices/biotech), finance, consulting. The hospital, patients, and culture just make me bitter and miserable. A lot of my buddies were at M/B/B or banking firms, but the ones that survived all have hiring freezes or are mainly recruiting out of H/S/W.

Sometimes you just gotta say what the f*ck.