Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A lot of my hobbies revolve around food. I love to cook and make things like fermented foods (pickles, sauerkraut, hot sauces, kimchi, etc.). As such I've also taken up brewing at home things like ciders and meads. I've only seen a post on SDN like this once before and I was just trying to gauge whether this would be inappropriate to list as a hobby or bring up. I don't do it to get alcohol, it takes months and I just find the process of changing things and seeing how they affect the flavor fun.
I don't think this really needs to be a confidential question, but I think it's fine to list it. Maybe combine it with some of these other food-y type hobbies.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can bring it up as a hobby, but I wouldn't waste space on AMCAS to discuss it... unless you're an entrepreneur in pandemic times and are making serious headway to making your medical school education somewhat affordable. :)

You can bring it up as a hobby, but I wouldn't waste space on AMCAS to discuss it... unless you're an entrepreneur in pandemic times and are making serious headway to making your medical school education somewhat affordable. :)
I could be wrong, but I believe AMCAS has a "hobbies" section. Or at least did 12 years ago when I applied - this could easily be listed there.

Honestly, having a few interesting hobbies on your app is a plus. Worst case, someone just glances at them - but I had a subset of interviewers (both in med school and residency applications) that wanted to discuss them more, and it was an easy way to connect to them. Homebrewing (assuming you're >21) seems like something that would work well there.

I could be wrong, but I believe AMCAS has a "hobbies" section. Or at least did 12 years ago when I applied - this could easily be listed there.

Honestly, having a few interesting hobbies on your app is a plus. Worst case, someone just glances at them - but I had a subset of interviewers (both in med school and residency applications) that wanted to discuss them more, and it was an easy way to connect to them. Homebrewing (assuming you're >21) seems like something that would work well there.

Agree. It’s something unique and non cooking, weightlifting, hanging out with family haha

Status
Not open for further replies.