Homework during another activity?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I have an activity that I do which has a lot of downtime. It's technically still my shift and I'm in the office, but I work on homework during that time. Is it fair for me to count my downtime as part of my activity hours? Because I sure as hell didn't keep track of which was spent doing real work related to the activity and which was not. I was definitely "on call" through the whole time, though.

Members don't see this ad.

I would count it. You're there, you're ready to help as needed. During that time, you could be home in your pj's, but you're not. It's not your fault that there is downtime.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice! Yeah, and I do participate in office culture there by talking with those that work under me and having fun, so I'm not being a total dud. Thank you for your input!

Count it, and try to find another activity that doesn't waste so much of your time. It's better to have meaningful ECs.

Unless it's a paid activity in which case it's a gold mine

Reactions: 4 users
No I cannot do my homework during another activity, even music bothers. It significantly disrupts my concentration. I wish I could do my homework, cause it would make the entire study process much pleasurable. I actually hate when other guys make noise when I'm trying to concentrate.

I used to be like that. I think it's good to get used to concentrating with distractions. For one, you will definitely have to concentrate with distractions going on when practicing medicine (this is NOT a "you'll never be a good doctor" post, as I'm sure there are plenty of great docs who couldn't do homework or study with distractions), but even more relevant, you never know what the testing center will be like for the MCAT/USMLE. There could be some construction going on outside, or some dude tapping his foot or hand on the desk near you, etc. It would suck to get a lower score because you couldn't concentrate 2/2 some minor distraction.