Honest about desired specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hurtem&healem

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems like every school outside of the very top research powerhouses is all about primary care. They proudly post the percentage of graduates going into primary care fields, they boast about how their curriculum prepares primary care doctors, etc.

I want to cut people. I'm not going to pretend I know exactly what sub-specialty I want to go into just yet, though I do have a few in mind (hell, maybe even GS), but I am about 87% certain I want to be a surgeon.

Is it death to say this outright in interviews/secondaries? I have good reasons to cite, it's not (all) about the chicks, money, power, and chicks. It's also about cutting people open and seeing their insides :angelic:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
It seems like every school outside of the very top research powerhouses is all about primary care. They proudly post the percentage of graduates going into primary care fields, they boast about how their curriculum prepares primary care doctors, etc.

I want to cut people. I'm not going to pretend I know exactly what sub-specialty I want to go into just yet, though I do have a few in mind (hell, maybe even GS), but I am about 87% certain I want to be a surgeon.

Is it death to say this outright in interviews/secondaries? I have good reasons to site, it's not (all) about the chicks, money, power, and chicks. It's also about cutting people open and seeing their insides :angelic:

No as far as anyone should know, you want to be a primary care doc. This is to maximize your chances of getting accepted. Once you're in then you're free until rotations.

Reactions: 1 user
If the question is "should I be honest?" The answer is always yes.

Don't tell me you want to do FM if you dont have the background to back it up. No one likes being fed BS.

Tell me why you want to be a surgeon. Show me you're passionate about it. That gets you in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to cut people

Make sure you use this exact phrase.

In all seriousness, you can mention an interest in surgery. You just need to make sure that you also convey that you are coming in with an open mind, coming into medicine only wanting to do one thing isn't the best idea and adcoms tend to not like closed minded applicants.

Reactions: 7 users

Is it death to say this outright in interviews/secondaries? I have good reasons to cite, it's not (all) about the chicks, money, power, and chicks. It's also about cutting people open and seeing their insides :angelic:
if you do bring it up in an interview, maybe use different phraseology :D

and nice scrubs reference (;

Reactions: 3 users

I want to cut people.... It's also about cutting people open and seeing their insides :angelic:

@NotASerialKiller approves

20080129.gif

In all seriousness, be aware that people change their minds a lot of time throughout medical school, even if they were determined to pursue a specialty before starting.

Reactions: 2 users

Don't we all though?

The duality of medical schools. Primary care is in short supply, so they brag about how many grads go into IM or FM residencies. But they also brag to accepted applicants about all the Surg, Ortho, Ophtho, Derm matches they get a year to attract quality students. Medicine, like all prestigious careers is political, learn to wordsmith.

You can tell them that you are unsure, and don't know what you want to be until you have seen what life has to offer once you have done clinical rotations. That's still technically being honest.

It's really easy to see when people are full of s**t. I have seen people force buzzwords like "primary care" and "underserved" all too loosely. It's very obvious unless you have lots of ECs that show your commitment. It's easier to say you don't know as of yet, and then figure out whatever path you want when you're actually a medical student.

Assuming not a troll, have you actually shadowed a surgeon? Ever been inside an OR?
If no to both, you're just starry-eyed, and would get sanctioned for it in this process.

Assuming not a troll, have you actually shadowed a surgeon? Ever been inside an OR?
If no to both, you're just starry-eyed, and would get sanctioned for it in this process.

When I actually became a medical student, I found out that surgery wasn't glamorous like it was made out to be. Neither was EM either. Things are so different when you actually see them first-hand!

I've heard that med students change intended specialties more often than UG students change majors (at least it's very common). I think this is why going in with an open mind is so important. "I want to be a surgeon and I am set on that" doesn't really make you sound dedicated and passionate like it feels, it makes you seem closed-minded and honestly kinda boring.

Quit dashing my dreams, Goro! I want to cut people open all day, and never ever have to see patients who are awake. Is that not how surgeons roll? If not, don't tell me.

Seriously, though - OP, I'm pretty sure I want to do surgery as well. Not really interested in primary care, TBH. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, as long as we accept the fact that we won't know for sure until after clinical rotations what we really want to do. I'm trying to keep an open mind and be realistic - if we bomb Step 1, we'll likely be going into primary care, so let's not put all those eggs in one basket at the outset.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard that med students change intended specialties more often than UG students change majors (at least it's very common). I think this is why going in with an open mind is so important.
Seriously, though - OP, I'm pretty sure I want to do surgery as well. Not really interested in primary care, TBH. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, as long as we accept the fact that we won't know for sure until after clinical rotations what we really want to do. I'm trying to keep an open mind and be realistic - if we bomb Step 1, we'll likely be going into primary care, so let's not put all those eggs in one basket at the outset.
It's not just about grades or interests, it's about expectations vs. reality. Surgeons may cut 2-3 days a week for a few hours but then they're charting until 8pm, or rounding in the PACU for follow-up, or in clinic dealing with a lousy patient who can't keep his wound dressed and now has an infection (that you then have to spend more time charting).

When you get to third year, if you have a non-medical roommate, partner, significant other, etc that you live with or see all the time, have them take note of your mood during different clerkships. You may force yourself to believe you want to be a surgeon, but they might say, "are you sure, you seemed absolutely miserable during that rotation." If you don't love it then, having an attendings salary probably won't fix it.

Reactions: 3 users

I'd love to hear what our wise colleagues @ThoracicGuy and @SouthernSurgeon would have to say!!!!

It's funny you mention cutting people open and wanting to see their insides. I thought I wanted to work in surgery once for the same reason. You literally get to cut people open, see all their guts, and save their lives! When I did my surgery rotation in school (not MD school), I was really surprised by how much I hated pretty much everything about surgery and the OR.

The surgeon is in one spot, barely moving except for arms/hands, stuck there for hours. One of my classmates got to watch part of a 14 hour surgery... can't remember what it was, but my god, that's a hell of a long time to be stuck. For someone like me who likes to move around and be active, that's just about a fate worse than death.

I have serious respect for anyone who wants to be a surgeon. I just can't do that kind of tedious detail work. I would start getting frustrated with standing in one spot thirty minutes into the procedure.

It's not just about grades or interests, it's about expectations vs. reality. Surgeons may cut 2-3 days a week for a few hours but then they're charting until 8pm, or rounding in the PACU for follow-up, or in clinic dealing with a lousy patient who can't keep his wound dressed and now has an infection (that you then have to spend more time charting).

When you get to third year, if you have a non-medical roommate, partner, significant other, etc that you live with or see all the time, have them take note of your mood during different clerkships. You may force yourself to believe you want to be a surgeon, but they might say, "are you sure, you seemed absolutely miserable during that rotation." If you don't love it then, having an attendings salary probably won't fix it.

This is very true. When I was growing up, I thought surgeons just cut, and that was it. Later I saw them having hours upon hours of clinic, and also having to manage patients non-surgically (such as when you have a small bowel obstruction). If you are someone that doesn't enjoy clinic, which you learn sooner or later in medical school, then you will end up hating your life.

Emergency medicine was also far different than what I expected it to be. It's 5% cool stuff, 5% real emergencies, and 90% primary care. You only see the first two on TV.

Your perception of medicine will change a lot during medical school. You will hate what you thought you loved, and love what you thought you hated.

This is very true. When I was growing up, I thought surgeons just cut, and that was it. Later I saw them having hours upon hours of clinic, and also having to manage patients non-surgically (such as when you have a small bowel obstruction). If you are someone that doesn't enjoy clinic, which you learn sooner or later in medical school, then you will end up hating your life.

Emergency medicine was also far different than what I expected it to be. It's 5% cool stuff, 5% real emergencies, and 90% primary care. You only see the first two on TV.

Your perception of medicine will change a lot during medical school. You will hate what you thought you loved, and love what you thought you hated.
I have an OMSIII who was gung-ho on Gen Surg for the last two years...until she hit her ObGyn rotation. Now she loves having babies ricochet off of her chest, and I suspect that that is where she's heading.

I have an OMSIII who was gung-ho on Gen Surg for the last two years...until she hit her ObGyn rotation. Now she loves having babies ricochet off of her chest, and I suspect that that is where she's heading.
Thats not way off the path, though. Some Obs seem to do a ton of surgery, so I assume she will be one of those?

Now she loves having babies ricochet off of her chest, and I suspect that that is where she's heading.
Um. You sure that's OB/GYN we're talking about here?

Sorry but that was a hanging curveball right down the middle :D

Thats not way off the path, though. Some Obs seem to do a ton of surgery, so I assume she will be one of those?
Derm, OB, Ophtho, Uro, ENT, etc all bridge the gap between the medicine specialties and the procedural. The later three if hospital-based also work trauma so you can have those TV cases a few times a year if you need the energy rush.

I have, and I have. I work with surgeons, though not in the OR, and I talk to them about their jobs, their work mix, etc. I didn't come to this conclusion based on watching MASH, or whatever surgical tv shows the kids are into these days. And you will also note that I left 13% for the possibility I could find interest in a medical specialty. I did begin this journey with medicine in mind, after all.

I'm joking about cutting people open to see their insides, but I fail to see how this is could be seen as a troll post.

I have, and I have. I work with surgeons, though not in the OR, and I talk to them about their jobs, their work mix, etc. I didn't come to this conclusion based on watching MASH, or whatever surgical tv shows the kids are into these days. And you will also note that I left 13% for the possibility I could find interest in a medical specialty. I did begin this journey with medicine in mind, after all.

I'm joking about cutting people open to see their insides, but I fail to see how this is could be seen as a troll post.

Humor doesn't travel well over the electrons.