This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

artoriafencer214

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have wanted to become a dentist since I could remember how to think.
I am, a female, 21, a junior in a good private college.
Both of my parents are dentists in PA, pediatric and general.
I have had my dental radiology health and safety certification since I was 17 and have worked at their office as an assistant for four years.
I have shadowed all of the dental specialties and have a very good letter of recc from a prestigious dentist closely connected to a very good dental school.
GPA: 3.82
Haven't taken the DATs yet, but currently studying a few hours a week. Will get DATbootcamp soon
Doing research for my honors thesis on invertebrates and psychopharmacology as a neuroscience major/biochemistry minor.
I am on a volunteer board as an executive of a medical and community clinic
I am in the honors societies and on the dean's list
I am going through my Pre-Health Evaluations Board currently and its looking pretty good.
involved in other curricular activities not about medicine or dentistry or science.
Like I said earlier, in my honors program
have studied abroad during the summer in Europe in pursuit of language/history classes

I have passion for this field and I want to be the best dentist I can become to serve others. I get along well most of my professors and colleagues. Now that you have the facts, let me know what you think about my ability to matriculate into dental school. I am really anxious. I want to be honest with myself.
Please tell me your thoughts. I implore you, as stated above. I am but a humble servant wanting to work on teeth and treat people well. I was reading an article about the history of dentistry that said not but a century ago or less, dentistry was taught in an apprenticeship style. Like a blacksmith or something!! Things have changed of course but a part of me wishes for these old ways...

P.S. my top three are university of maryland, vcu, and pitt. I am planning on touring all of them this spring/summer...also I want to apply for the NHS scholarship program...my prehealth advisor said that my white, fairly-well off self would not be a strong candidate...does she have any sense?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Honestly, come back when you're above a 3.95.
-Get Shrekt

Reactions: 9 users
Honestly can't tell if serious...

Members don't see this ad :)
I have had my dental radiology health and safety certification since I was 17 and have worked at their office as an assistant for four years.
I have shadowed all of the dental specialties and have a very good letter of recc from a prestigious dentist closely connected to a very good dental school.
Haven't taken the DATs yet, but currently studying a few hours a week. Will get DATbootcamp soon
Doing research for my honors thesis on invertebrates and psychopharmacology as a neuroscience major/biochemistry minor.
I am going through my Pre-Health Evaluations Board currently and its looking pretty good.
involved in other curricular activities not about medicine or dentistry or science.
have studied abroad during the summer in Europe in pursuit of language/history classes

I have passion for this field and I want to be the best dentist I can become to serve others. I get along well most of my professors and colleagues. Now that you have the facts, let me know what you think about my ability to matriculate into dental school. I am really anxious. I want to be honest with myself.
Please tell me your thoughts. I implore you, as stated above. I am but a humble servant wanting to work on teeth and treat people well. I was reading an article about the history of dentistry that said not but a century ago or less, dentistry was taught in an apprenticeship style. Like a blacksmith or something!! Things have changed of course but a part of me wishes for these old ways...

P.S. my top three are university of maryland, vcu, and pitt. I am planning on touring all of them this spring/summer...also I want to apply for the NHS scholarship program...my prehealth advisor said that my white, fairly-well off self would not be a strong candidate...does she have any sense?

You have a great shot at getting into dental school. GPA and experience are way above average. Score high on the DAT and you should be fine. You would have to look at your specific schools and find out what their niche is for a better idea of what you might need to do (some schools are more research focused others community service etc.).

As far as NHS your prehealth advisor is pretty accurate from my understanding of the scholarship. A big component is coming from a disadvantaged background. You have good stats so I would still apply, but your prehealth advisor isn’t wrong.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
GPA is a little low. Also, you should get more experience in the field.

Reactions: 7 users
PreDentTechyson...thanks for the only honest evaluation I got in here. Why do I always attract so many trolls? Lol

No one can say anything before you take your dat, but otherwise you are an amazing applicant. Neuroscience Major with a 3.82 is insanely good, and compares to a 4.0 in other majors. Kill the dat and you should be more than fine

I think u have a 33.2976% chance of getting into schools like Harvard and Columbia with a 24+ DAT. More likely a 86.7565% chance of any other non ivy school with a 20+ DAT considering you’re IS or they’re OOS friendly. Where these numbers came from... idk, realistically you’ll prob get interviews anywhere you apply with a 21+ DAT - again for non Ivy League

Members don't see this ad :)
People are upset because it seems as though you are showing off or trying to get validation from a bunch of strangers when clearly you are an above average applicant. That being said, yes you have a shot, but just like any other applicant you would need to do well on the DAT and in your interviews. Wishing you all the best.

Reactions: 1 user
People are upset because it seems as though you are showing off or trying to get validation from a bunch of strangers when clearly you are an above average applicant. That being said, yes you have a shot, but just like any other applicant you would need to do well on the DAT and in your interviews. Wishing you all the best.
I was not meaning to show off...I felt compelled to write this after scrolling through the threads for dental school admissions and such. To anyone who is upset by this, this was not written in a prideful manner but of sincere nerves about this process. I am currently very stressed right now...just got out of a physics exam.

I was not meaning to show off...I felt compelled to write this after scrolling through the threads for dental school admissions and such. To anyone who is upset by this, this was not written in a prideful manner but of sincere nerves about this process. I am currently very stressed right now...just got out of a physics exam.
Fam you’re gonna get accepted to multiple schools.

Last edited:
You just have to recognize (and perhaps others thought you should already know) SDN represents a small sample of all the total applicants, and as a student who is very close to applying you should already know or have researched the average statistics for matriculation at your desired schools. I do encourage you to look up these statistics for yourself to see that you are indeed a seemingly qualified, competitive applicant. Keep up the great work and you will have success.

Reactions: 5 users
PreDentTechyson...thanks for the only honest evaluation I got in here. Why do I always attract so many trolls? Lol

So what I'm hearing from this is that you kind of already knew what kind of answers to expect? When I saw the word 'implore' in the title I figured I'd be looking at a sub 3.0gpa with a white collar felony.

So what I'm hearing from this is that you kind of already knew what kind of answers to expect? When I saw the word 'implore' in the title I figured I'd be looking at a sub 3.0gpa with a white collar felony.

LOL

I have a lot of anxiety that I am working on trying to handle. Apparently it is now spreading to my professional goals as of right now.

You just have to recognize (and perhaps others thought you should already know) SDN represents a small sample of all the total applicants, and as a student who is very close to applying you should already know or have researched the average statistics for matriculation at your desired schools. I do encourage you to look up these statistics for yourself to see that you are indeed a seemingly qualified, competitive applicant. Keep up the great work and you will have success.
Thank you for your input.

I have a lot of anxiety that I am working on trying to handle. Apparently it is now spreading to my professional goals as of right now.
I encourage you to work on those stress management skills. Dental school is unbelievably stressful. Each year comes with its own stressors. D1 is an adjustment, D2 is a massacre. Before you know it you're going to realize that you have upcoming exams in classes you had no idea even started. Endless lab work, endless practicals, it really piles up. And you'll have classmates that are smart. Scary smart. When you start seeing those folks get overwhelmed, you can't help but wonder how the heck you'll manage it.

Stay on track with your current performance and you'll be fine. Then go to the cheapest school!

Reactions: 2 users

I can understand that and I do feel a bit bad for the teasing. You're gonna do great kid! If I were on an admissions committee I'd say you were a no-brainer for an interview even if you don't Old Yeller the DAT. It was just a big reversal of expectations for me and that struck me funny.

I think you should consider doing a post bac program to raise that gpa...it seems a little low. I'd also recommend curing cancer to strengthen your application.

Reactions: 5 users
You will be fine. Work on interview skills. If you say stuff like "I implore you" or "I am a humble servant" during an interview you will have some trouble. My program has students involved in interviews and if someone said that stuff to me I'd be put off. Just be yourself.

It's no time about showing off, it's about making pointless threads. No one but program directors can tell you the chances of whether you get into a school or not. And they aren't going to tell you.

People who are more self aware would look at the average acceptance gpa, which is a 3.4 or 3.5, it's been getting lower and lower every year. And then look at the average dat, a 20 or something I forget. And then do their best to get at least that or higher and then apply.

There's no point of asking what are my "chances". No one here has a crystal ball. Now if on the other hand you didn't write your gpa or dat but asked about how to improve your application you would have gotten a different response.

I think your stats indicate you are a strong applicant and you probably have a 95% chance of getting interviewed anywhere. Now if you want honesty, here are some weaknesses that you should work on that I as a stranger have picked up on and so will adcoms:
1. Both of your parents are dentists = more difficult for you to prove that you chose this for yourself and didn’t just pick this route b/c it was easy for you
2. You lack confidence. You clearly are much better applicant than 70% of us and here you are.
3. I don’t really find anything unique about you.

So here’s what you should do:
1. Kick the DAT’s ass
2. Be confident in yourself and your accomplishments!
3. Find what makes you unique beyond grades and in your personal statement DO NOT TALK ABOUT YOUR PARENTS unless you say you gained experience there. Stress things about yourself and your passion (basically imagine your parents were jazz musicians. Would you still pursue Dentistry?)

Important tip: once you get an interview your GPA and experience are off the table. They have selected everyone to meet these basic requirements so find other strengths and let the adcoms get to know you. I believe that’s why so many high GPA apps get rejected and us average people are accepted. We are forced to find alternative selling points and are generally more relatable.

I hope this didn’t offend you and best of luck to you!

Reactions: 4 users