zempa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I have three questions. My first question is, how important is the personal statement?

Second - my stats are 3.71 cumulative and 3.60 bcpm, i have a bunch of shadowing, did research for a yr, started my own business, went abroad on a health campaign, and have done a bunch of volunteering, NY resident

I am taking the MCAT in 2 weeks, have avged around 34 on practice AAMC's with most being 34 - 35. What are my chances of getting in anywhere at all?

Third - what are some schools I should apply to where I have a better chance of getting into to?

Thanks

camaras2480

Wrapping things up
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
I have three questions. My first question is, how important is the personal statement?

Second - my stats are 3.71 cumulative and 3.60 bcpm, i have a bunch of shadowing, did research for a yr, started my own business, went abroad on a health campaign, and have done a bunch of volunteering, NY resident

I am taking the MCAT in 2 weeks, have avged around 34 on practice AAMC's with most being 34 - 35. What are my chances of getting in anywhere at all?

Third - what are some schools I should apply to where I have a better chance of getting into to?

Thanks
1. A compelling PS can often push you into the interview pile. A crappy PS is almost sure to NOT get you an interview.

2. If you get a 34, you will be highly competitive at all 'low' tier and 'mid' tier schools, as well as the lower 'top' tier. No one is actually highly competitive at the top tier.

3. Apply to all the NY schools, literally - the only ones that would be a toss up are Columbia and Cornell. Then look at PA, OH, DC, and Chicago. Between these 5 states, theres like 40 schools. Pick as many as you would like (I would go with about 20; 10 of them being NY).

Stratego

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2009
Status
1) Personal Statement is very important. It should be a polished piece of literary perfection, compelling, intriguing, and not cookie cutterish.

2) Assuming your EC involvement is at least average, I'd say you have a very good chance of acceptance somewhere with your projected MCAT score.

3) Apply to your state schools. Check the School Selection spreadsheet stickied to the top of this forum, plug in your numbers, and it will give you other school ideas where your stats fit in.

If you're taking the MCAT end of July, your score will come back end of August when it will take about 4-5+ weeks to verify your transcripts. It would be a good idea to submit soon, so that process can begin. You could just apply to one school to start, and then add others later when you know how competitive your MCAT score is. Newly added schools will get the entire application within one business day.

JJMrK

J to the J
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If you get your 34 you'll be good to go. I would suggest drafting essays to secondaries ahead of time using SDN.

camaras2480

Wrapping things up
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
If you get your 34 you'll be good to go. I would suggest drafting essays to secondaries ahead of time using SDN.
Yup, look for the Secondary Applications thread, or just go to the school specific discussions 2009-2010 forums.