Honest opinion for Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crj512york

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
BS in Biology, Psych Minor: reputable school
cGPA: 3.85
BCPM: 3.74
MCAT: 501
LizzyM: ~65

MPH from grad school in England: distinction expected (currently writing dissertation)
Loads of volunteering/shadowing hours 1,000+, TA, Pharmacy tech, Scribe work in thoracic surgery, Micro research (no pubs)

Basically, I think I am a good candidate, except for the MCAT... Applied to a few lower tier MD schools and wondering if I should tackle DO as well.

Thoughts? Anyone in similar boat?

Members don't see this ad.

BS in Biology, Psych Minor: reputable school
cGPA: 3.85
BCPM: 3.74
MCAT: 501
LizzyM: ~65

MPH from grad school in England: distinction expected (currently writing dissertation)
Loads of volunteering/shadowing hours 1,000+, TA, Pharmacy tech, Scribe work in thoracic surgery, Micro research (no pubs)

Basically, I think I am a good candidate, except for the MCAT... Applied to a few lower tier MD schools and wondering if I should tackle DO as well.

Thoughts? Anyone in similar boat?
MCAT score notwithstanding, you seem plausible as an overall candidate. It might be smart to diversify your applications to include several DO schools, though.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your MPH was from England. Was your UG and citizenship American? Is there a reason you can't retake MCAT?

Reactions: 1 user
Your MPH was from England. Was your UG and citizenship American? Is there a reason you can't retake MCAT?
Yes, US UG and citizen (ORM). Simply living abroad at the moment. It isn't feasible to re-take this year. My dissertation is due the last day that it could be re-taken, but is certainly an option for next year if it comes to that.

Last edited:
Yes, US UG and citizen ORM. Simply living abroad at the moment. It isn't feasible to re-take this year. My dissertation is due the last day that it could be re-taken, but is certainly an option for next year if it comes to that.

I would hold off applying this year, focus on your dissertation, study from Jan-March, take in April, and hopefully you will have an impoved score and have everything you need to apply as early as possible with a more competitive score next cycle.

I would hold off applying this year, focus on your dissertation, study from Jan-March, take in April, and hopefully you will have an impoved score and have everything you need to apply as early as possible with a more competitive score next cycle.
Right, I see what you're saying. Applications have already been completed for 6 US schools for this cycle, so no sense in withdrawal I suppose ... still a shot. I guess my main pickle now is whether to initiate some DO apps versus putting all efforts into allopathic next year if I don't get in. Thanks for input guys.

You may receive interviews at Mercer and Medical College Georgia. I suggest applying to several DO schools and you have all 3 VCOM's, PCOM-Georgia, CUSOM, ACOM, LMU-DCOM, UP-KYCOM and WVSOM in your region.

You may receive interviews at Mercer and Medical College Georgia. I suggest applying to several DO schools and you have all 3 VCOM's, PCOM-Georgia, CUSOM, ACOM, LMU-DCOM, UP-KYCOM and WVSOM in your region.
Thanks for you input! I did apply to Mercer. MCG's median mcat was a little too high to risk the extra $. Not to mention I am trying to get out of GA lol beggars can't be choosers though.

Thanks for you input! I did apply to Mercer. MCG's median mcat was a little too high to risk the extra $. Not to mention I am trying to get out of GA lol beggars can't be choosers though.

I'm actually a Georgia resident as well. Good luck!