Honest opinion on chances of getting into Baylor College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gsb653

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.94 cGPA 28O MCAT: 9, 9, 10 (VR, PS, BS)

Published in Journal of BIological Sciences
Played collegiate golf for three years, Academic All-American, Academic All-Conference
Medium amount of community service with plans to do more
Undergraduate taking a graduate level biochemistry class, (only undergrad in the class, top in the class)

I really just want to know how this would look. I know my MCAT score isn't the best, but would my other accomplishments help offset this? Any feedback would be fabulous.
:)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
3.94 cGPA 28O MCAT: 9, 9, 10 (VR, PS, BS)

Published in Journal of BIological Sciences
Played collegiate golf for three years, Academic All-American, Academic All-Conference
Medium amount of community service with plans to do more
Undergraduate taking a graduate level biochemistry class, (only undergrad in the class, top in the class)

I really just want to know how this would look. I know my MCAT score isn't the best, but would my other accomplishments help offset this? Any feedback would be fabulous.
:)
Even without knowing how many years of research you have or what your leadership roles have been, I'd have to say that having a MCAT score well below the bottom tenth percent for acceptees makes a Baylor acceptance unlikely, despite the publication and intercollegiate sport accomplishments.

Did you get the score your practice tests predicted? Did you take a formal prep course? Did you spend 2-3 months of dedicated study for the MCAT? Do you feel you've hit your score ceiling and are you unwilling to retake?

You do have clinical experience and physician shadowing, right?

Yeah, I took a Kaplan course. The problem was that I studied hard all summer and then went back to school (became preoccupied from that) and didn't take the test until September. I have shadowing and scribe work set up (applying for a 2013 acceptance.)

Also the research program that I am in is a Howard Hughes Medical Institute Research Scholars program, I forgot to mention that.

I figured that the MCAT score would be my biggest downfall. The only good thing is that I do still have time to take it again. It's just kind of a drag.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I took a Kaplan course. The problem was that I studied hard all summer and then went back to school (became preoccupied from that) and didn't take the test until September. I have shadowing and scribe work set up (applying for a 2013 acceptance.)

Also the research program that I am in is a Howard Hughes Medical Institute Research Scholars program, I forgot to mention that.

I figured that the MCAT score would be my biggest downfall. The only good thing is that I do still have time to take it again. It's just kind of a drag.
Can I ask why you are trying to tailor your app to only one school? This is not a good idea

Reactions: 1 user
Oh no, I'm not doing that at all. Baylor is just one of the top schools that I will be applying to. I would really like to be located in Houston seeing as that is where my family is. I feel that Baylor's standards are probably a bit higher than UTH or A&M. I'll be applying all over Texas. What are your thoughts on my chances of University of Texas-Houston? This is actually another of my top choices.

Are you a TX resident? If so, the avg MCAT is lower - about 70% of their class is from TX, with the out-of-state section carrying higher stats as a general statement. IS average is a little below 33.

Also, they have no lower limits on MCAT. They check out all apps and weigh everything as they like diversity.

(Above info from the Office of Admissions)

That being said, if you think you can do better without sacrificing other parts of your app, it can't hurt to retake. I wouldn't do it if it meant getting less clinical hours or something else beneficial.

Haven't talked to UTH Admissions, but their stats are almost as high as Baylor's.

Yeah I'm a TX resident. I feel very confident about everything except my MCAT score and community service. I have some, but trust me, it was really tough to fit it in when golf took up about 18 hours a week, plus double majoring, plus major research work. Now is when I'm getting more community service, shadowing, and clinical experience. I also work a peer mentoring/ student teaching-type position where I work with and help introductory biology students. I feel like this is a good leadership position to put on my application. I feel that if I get to interviews, my passion for medicine will come through, but I don't want my MCAT score to shut that door.

I got the impression (from them) that it won't. Call the admissions office, however, because they said if you have a specific question such as this, you can email the dean. (Can't remember the email address, but they hand it out freely.)

I think I would also call UTH and ask specifically if the score is too low for them.

I am also considering a retake due to these being my top schools. My score is a little above yours, but my GPA isn't nearly as great. What I am finding, however, is that studying for the retake seems to take no less time out of my life than it did the first time around. I am currently trying to decide if it's worth it....

I'm in the same boat. It really is a drag. I'm also considering applying with what I have now and focusing on getting some good experience for my application. if the MCAT doesn't seem to be enough for this first time application, I'll take the year to bring it up and get even more experience and apply again. Thanks for all your help and good luck with your med school track!

Sounds like a plan. I think I would do the same in your situation. I am nowhere near undergrad, so another year is not ideal for me.

Best of luck, and hopefully we will see each other on interview day! :)

I also have a similar situation. I am planning to apply for Baylor College of Medicine. I am coming from a very diverse background. I was born in a different country and moved to USA at the age of 11. My MCAT score is a 30 and my GPA is a 3.94. I have over 2000 hours of volunteering services. Nearly 280 hours of shadowing experience. About 400 hours of research experience. Does these aspects of my application make me a decent competitor? If anyone can give me any kind of insight it would be greatly appreciate.

I am IS nontrad with lo uGPA (~2.9), went straight to an SMP at an extbalished program finished with +3.8. 33 MCAT with lots of EC and research at top tier institutions, one publication now with at least two on the way. Does my undergrad ruin my chances?