Honest opinion on my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AZkid

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I havnt seen a case like mine on here or any other website so I decided to start my own post

I just wanted an honest opionion from you guys and I'm thanking you in advance...here are my stats

I started off as a political science major and did fairly decent but have had 2 subpar semesters (2.2 and 2.5) and taken one semester off due to work....i have 2 w's on my transcript one from bio II and one from calc I....i've retaken 3 classes in which i got c's in and got a's in the retake: English, calc I and a computers class....going into this last fall semester i had about 60 credits and a 2.6 gpa (this is on a +/- system) ...HOWEVER...since fall semester i have a 4.0...this includes a's in classes such a physics I and II...orgo chm I and II....Calc I and II and biochem.as well as various electives (anthro,psych etc)....as far as EC;I have basic stuff:pre-med society, ER Intern I shadowed a paramedic firefighter who works in the busiest firehouse in downtown Phoenix and on top of tht ive worked 25-30 hours a week for a real estate appraising company since high school....

so my final gpa at the end of this semester including the retakes is 3.37 and my MCAT is around a 29 (im basing this off my practice scores...real thing this sat)

so plz be as honest as possible is med school an option for me or should i be looking into postbac or masters programs at this point????

Members don't see this ad.

AZkid said:
I havnt seen a case like mine on here or any other website so I decided to start my own post

I just wanted an honest opionion from you guys and I'm thanking you in advance...here are my stats

I started off as a political science major and did fairly decent but have had 2 subpar semesters (2.2 and 2.5) and taken one semester off due to work....i have 2 w's on my transcript one from bio II and one from calc I....i've retaken 3 classes in which i got c's in and got a's in the retake: English, calc I and a computers class....going into this last fall semester i had about 60 credits and a 2.6 gpa (this is on a +/- system) ...HOWEVER...since fall semester i have a 4.0...this includes a's in classes such a physics I and II...orgo chm I and II....Calc I and II and biochem.as well as various electives (anthro,psych etc)....as far as EC;I have basic stuff:pre-med society, ER Intern I shadowed a paramedic firefighter who works in the busiest firehouse in downtown Phoenix and on top of tht ive worked 25-30 hours a week for a real estate appraising company since high school....

so my final gpa at the end of this semester including the retakes is 3.37 and my MCAT is around a 29 (im basing this off my practice scores...real thing this sat)

so plz be as honest as possible is med school an option for me or should i be looking into postbac or masters programs at this point????

The 3.37 GPA is a little low, but I have seen worse. Your ECs sound average, so it looks like this Saturday will be a big day for you ;). Personally, I think if you can get atleast a 32 on the MCAT you may be ok. But how old are you? 21? If you have to take a year off to do a Masters, big deal, alot of people do that, re apply, and get accepted.

If you get that MCAT for real, do some volunteering this summer, apply mid-low tier allo and DO, and I doubt you'll be going to the Carib.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're a dumb ass! you know that? just thought i'd run that by with you bitch

Chris127 said:
The 3.37 GPA is a little low, but I have seen worse. Your ECs sound average, so it looks like this Saturday will be a big day for you ;). Personally, I think if you can get atleast a 32 on the MCAT you may be ok. But how old are you? 21? If you have to take a year off to do a Masters, big deal, alot of people do that, re apply, and get accepted.
This is good advice, OP.

(Ignore the high school trolls.)

Yeah man, there's no reason you shouldn't be ok with the upward trend (spin it as increased maturity, etc.) and a decent MCAT. Just shoot for 30 and apply fairly widely.

NapeSpikes said:
This is good advice, OP.

I agree. A post-bac program might not really be a good fit for you at this point because you've taken all of the pre-reqs and you will have already taken the MCAT.

I would seriously recommend a masters program and working on developing a real passion for medicine that will shine on your application (demonstrated, of course, by stellar ECs). I don't think your chances of getting into medical school are necessarily bad at this point in time, but even the best applicants find themselves without an acceptance in hand after their first round of the med school application process. If I were you, I'd go the extra mile to ensure that I would gain acceptance when I do apply. Best of luck!

NapeSpikes said:
This is good advice, OP.

****? in highschool? Im in medical school bitch!!! **** you...STRESS FREE!!

i cant cuss or harrass anymore, but i do hope you get into medical school :sleep:

I think this is a great site but people like stayingalive23 are ruining it...I dont understand the reason why you even post?...you obviously have personal issues to work out and I highly DOUBT you in med school...if you are then my condolences go out to your future patients

And to the OP, I totally agree with Labslave, do well this saturday and I believe you have a decent shot...stay positive but don't throw out the option for going for a Masters especially if you are younger...good luck!

KyleSBU said:
I think this is a great site but people like stayingalive23 are ruining it...I dont understand the reason why you even post?...you obviously have personal issues to work out and I highly DOUBT you in med school...if you are then my condolences go out to your future patients

And to the OP, I totally agree with Labslave, do well this saturday and I believe you have a decent shot...stay positive but don't throw out the option for going for a Masters especially if you are younger...good luck!

:laugh: It's a Tuesday and I'm BORED!! I need to stir up some controversey up in hurr! btw, if any of you need some medical school advising im here to help...kindly drop me a PM!

oh and my patients are just fine. They love having as much fun as i do!

rgerwin said:
If you get that MCAT for real, do some volunteering this summer, apply mid-low tier allo and DO, and I doubt you'll be going to the Carib.

You will still need a high MCAT for the higher ranking DO schools. Work on your MCAT or settle for a low-tier allo. You might be shown some consideration on gpa if you go to a high ranking undergrad, you also have an upwards trend in your favor.

Depending on you home state (AZ?) (EDIT- Um wow, I just got around to reading your username. I guess it is Arizona. duuuhhhrrrr) you definitely have a shot- the numbers (if the MCAT is 30ish) are right on the cusp, so do you best, apply, and see what happens. Apply to a wide range of Allos with relatively low numbers (it'll be expensive, but probably worth it) with a few DOs to boot.

If things dont work out, then spend some time strengthening you application- whether is research or grad school- and apply again in a year or two. Showing a prolonged committment will work in your favor.

Azkid do you go to ASU?...if you do I can give you the name of a few professors that can hook you up with some research oppurtunity's....I have a friend who goes there and he's running a research project now and this summer (somthing to do with cancer in rats)...so pm if you do ,this will def help your chances.....but Like I said earlier I still think you have a decent shot!

You're not out of the game... with a good MCAT score (33 or above which would put you in the 90th percentile of test testers but even just 30 or above would be good) you can alleviate the effects of your gpa (which isn't that bad). And like the other posters said, solid ECs could really help you. Don't underestimate yourself quite yet.