Honest Opinion On My Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentdavis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

So I know you all are admist hearing back from schools/recieving acceptances/taking time off to just forget about apps until this new cycle or getting over the last cycle. However, I will be applying this upcoming cycle and am starting to get nervous.

I will be graduating this June and most likely applying for within the first week that the cycle opens.

With that being said, here are my stats.

Biological Sciences major emphasis: Molecular Biology
GPA: 3.1
DAT:
Bio: 19
OC: 19
GC: 21
RC: 23
QR: 19
TS: 19
AA: 20
PAT: 23

Definetely an upward trend in grades with a solid reason for struggling the first year of school.
Extracurrics:
-I have about 200 hours of shadowing with general dentist, orthodontist, oral surgeon.
- three quarters at a retirement community
- Outreach Coordinator of a club on campus
- science writer for the campus newspaper

I would just like an honest opinion. I wish I had the opportunity to do some research but it was very hard to obtain at my campus.Anyways, I am very interested to hear any advice and some words of encouragement if there are any.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

your gpa isnt stellar. but id apply anyway bc your DAT seems pretty great.
i say apply to alot of schools and youll hopefully land a few interviews/acceptances.
also, figure out what youre doing with your glide year. I suggest taking more classes in case your gpa ends up being too low
also apply early!! like really early.

Whats your science GPA? If its bellow 3.0, your odds for landing interviews will be low.

your best bet is to apply to 20+ schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I just wanted to bump this with my current stats. Just because I know there are some of you who will truly giev input and I really appreciate that.

oGPA: 3.15
sgpa: 3.0
nsgpa: 3.6
BCP: 2.9 :(

DAT:
B:19
GC:21
OC:19
RC:23
QR:19
PAT:23
TS:19
AA:20

I have a ton of extracurrics, achievements, accomplishments.

and as listed above an upward trend + a reason for why I was struggling at first.
I'm applying next week! I plan to apply to 23 schools or so...do you guys think I stand a chance?

You definitely have a chance if you're applying to 23 schools. Apply early (now) and you'll have a good chance of landing some interviews and an acceptance or two.

Apply early to lots of schools + look into post-bac/masters programs. Most likely, the gpa will hold you back and you will need further schooling; however, you might have a super slim chance of making it in this cycle.

I've seen people with lesser scores get in and those with better scores get rejected. Apply to a lot of schools and you should be fine.

I've seen people with lesser scores get in and those with better scores get rejected. Apply to a lot of schools and you should be fine.

Apply early to lots of schools + look into post-bac/masters programs. Most likely, the gpa will hold you back and you will need further schooling; however, you might have a super slim chance of making it in this cycle.

please explain the logic of applying to MORE schools when the GPA doesn't meet their average? (I am in a similar situation with similar DAT score)

do the schools communicate with each other? If not, won't they ALL reject you? I'm thinking of applying to 11 schools...but will applying to 20 ACTUALLY give me a better chance? :confused:

Hey I just wanted to bump this with my current stats. Just because I know there are some of you who will truly giev input and I really appreciate that.

oGPA: 3.15
sgpa: 3.0
nsgpa: 3.6
BCP: 2.9 :(

DAT:
B:19
GC:21
OC:19
RC:23
QR:19
PAT:23
TS:19
AA:20

I have a ton of extracurrics, achievements, accomplishments.

and as listed above an upward trend + a reason for why I was struggling at first.
I'm applying next week! I plan to apply to 23 schools or so...do you guys think I stand a chance?

From a statistical point of view, odds are significantly against you.

please explain the logic of applying to MORE schools when the GPA doesn't meet their average? (I am in a similar situation with similar DAT score)

do the schools communicate with each other? If not, won't they ALL reject you? I'm thinking of applying to 11 schools...but will applying to 20 ACTUALLY give me a better chance? :confused:

If schools ONLY looked at GPA+DAT the same way, then you are right, applying to 5 or 20 schools would almost-always give you the same outcome.

However, since every school uses a slightly different system for measuring applicants, its wise to assume that the more "eyes" (school adcoms) look at your application, the more your odds are of landing an interview.... You never know, most won't be impressed with your numbers, but maybe one would see something very attractive in your personal statement or a letter of recommendation and decide to give you a shot at an interview.

More schools = more chance for interviews

Ahh I see. Is there a thread somewhere that lists all the "radical" schools who are willing to take low GPA for great personality? So far I haven't been able to find one...

Ahh I see. Is there a thread somewhere that lists all the "radical" schools who are willing to take low GPA for great personality? So far I haven't been able to find one...

no such school exists. Most schools nowadays have average GPAs between 3.4-3.6 for both overall and science. dentistry is very competitive. But some schools have a reputation of looking past pure numbers and paying close attention to upward trends, last years of educations, etc (I know U of Michigan, Buffalo, and detroit mercy) have done that....but its not guaranteed.

Meharry and howard have lower stats, but thats because they pay attention to special URM applicants (applicants with damaged backgrounds, poverty, etc)

You gotta understand, schools' #1 priority is to get students who showcase the greatest potential to pass dental school. Strong personalities, Letter of recommendations, work experiences, etc are good, but they don't reflect on your ability to handle the dental curriculum, GPA+DAT are better indicators.

How do you define "great personality"?

12k people apply each year. I am sure that they all have great personality.

Just apply to a lot of schools and pray to dental gods.

Apply to a lot of schools, if you don't land any interviews this cycle I would say you have to take an informal postbacc or master's to emphasize your improved academic abilities.

As for now, your sGPA and BCP are most likely gonna hold you back. :(

**sigh** so my chances are pretty slim to none then? I know they are below average but I saw some people on predents who got accepted with similiar stats so I thought there was a shot.

**sigh** so my chances are pretty slim to none then? I know they are below average but I saw some people on predents who got accepted with similiar stats so I thought there was a shot.

well thats why we are saying "low" but not "impossible". you'll always see a few here and there with sub-3.0s and sub-19s DAT who got in. But NORMALLY, most applicants with such stats don't get in.

Hang in there. I feel the same way :( But we're already applying right? So..just stay optimistic and feel confident about what you've got!!

Hang in there. I feel the same way :( But we're already applying right? So..just stay optimistic and feel confident about what you've got!!

ya thanks!!! just got my last quarter grades today and I pulled off a 4.0 :D I thought my DAT scores were good because all the schools admissions I called told me not to retake etc etc...but the people on here are making me think otherwise :/

I ended up applying to 27 schools. I hope I get a few interviews!!!:xf: