Honest opinion. Tufts VS BU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DATkiller

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. The title is self-explanatory. Feel free to give your thoughts. I got some decisions to make and I'm really confused. I like Tufts better only because of its new facilities but the class size is huge. BU students seems to be happier though. What's your take on this??

Members don't see this ad.

personally, i didn't think the class size of tufts was that big. sure, it's big compared to other dental schools, but when you compare it to the size of undergrad classes it's not so bad.

i struggled with this decision too, but in the end there was something about tufts that made me like it more than BU. i can't really put my finger on it though...

but i think they're both great schools and you can't really go wrong with either one

I am also curious to hear what the general opinion of these schools.

Being from MA myself, I have the general impression that Tufts has a better rep than BU for putting out great dentists. I have shadowed dentists from both schools and while my sample size is small, I had better experiences with Tufts grads.

Personally, I was unimpressed by BU's facilities. Low ceilings, little natural light, and narrow hallways made me feel claustrophobic while I walked around. Tufts was bright and the facilities were impeccable. I am a little put off by the class size at Tufts (~195 for c/o 2015) and worry about attention in clinic.

Overall its a similar price, same city, same degree in the end. Other than the difference in facilities what do people think?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would also like to know which school gives the students a better opportunity in terms of specializing.

Did BU give you guys any info on their post-doc/specialty match rates? For Tufts, you should have their 200+ page textbook with everything you need to know about the school.

Everything at Tufts was better than BU-- facilities, organization, professionalism, brochures, information packet etc. My experience at BU was mediocre at best- I think I was in one of the last groups to be interviewed before December 1st, so most of the staff seemed pretty jaded with the whole processed.

Tufts also has a prestigious undergraduate school attached to its name and therefore many people from the Boston area and beyond associate the dental school with being just as prestigious and selective.

In terms of class size, realize that BU adds about 60-70 international dentists during the second year while Tufts adds about 25. So, the class sizes are nearly the same by the end. That said, class size shouldn't be a consideration.

I hope this helps your decision! Good luck!:luck:

Did BU give you guys any info on their post-doc/specialty match rates? For Tufts, you should have their 200+ page textbook with everything you need to know about the school.

According to Tufts booklet, about 27% of the class specializes out of 175 students.

Columbia which has a very high specialization rate is 44%, but the class size is smaller. 75*.44= 33 specialize.

The 27% at Tufts does not include GPR. 175*.27= 47 specialize.

More students at Tufts enter specializations than at Columbia.

I would say, Tufts has one of the higher specialization rates in the country.

I'm at Tufts right now, and I actually think our large class size is a positive thing. Remember, you're in class with these people for almost 6-8 hours a day, EVERY single day (even with our class size of 177, I get tired of seeing the same faces haha). But honestly, it's nice to have a variety in our class because you can always meet somebody new. As of now, I have yet to experience any drawbacks with our class size - meaning I can still get faculty attention and help whenever I choose to seek it and etc...