Honest opinion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psrai85

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted some help in regards to where i stand

I'm applying in Sept 2007 to get in for Sept 2008.

What are my chances with the following (i'm working hard to get these when i apply)

1) 38 or higher on MCAT
2) 3.0 GPA
3) Tons of extracircular (clubs, sports etc)
4) Summer research and also during the study year
5) Volunteered in Africa for 2 months; i have lots of other volunteering stuff aswell

I was just wondering what are my chance of getting into American, Canadian or Caribean schools with the above stuff. I'm fron Ontario, Canada

Members don't see this ad.

Seeing as how a 38 MCAT would put you in the 99.9th percentile, I'd say that "working toward" it is very ambitious! Have you taken an MCAT yet, or are you just being optimistic? Surfing around SDN can make it seem as though almost everyone scores 35s and above, but it just ain't so. Most score 25-28 and BELOW.

mj1878 said:
Seeing as how a 38 MCAT would put you in the 99.9th percentile, I'd say that "working toward" it is very ambitious! Have you taken an MCAT yet, or are you just being optimistic? Surfing around SDN can make it seem as though almost everyone scores 35s and above, but it just ain't so. Most score 25-28 and BELOW.

No i haven't taken it yet,but i've been studying from last summer and i have this whole summer to study for it. I've finished some books and will do EK books etc this summer. I know my material inside out and not being overconfident, but i'd be very dissappointed to score below 35. I have 3 friends who studied lot less than me and got around 37 and two 38's so i hope i get teh same.

So if i do get around 38, is there a good chance of me being accepted. I did bad first year and a half cause of family problems and i'm doing 5 years degree.

psrai85 said:
I know my material inside out and not being overconfident, but i'd be very dissappointed to score below 35. I have 3 friends who studied lot less than me and got around 37 and two 38's so i hope i get teh same.

Unfortunately, when you get up past thirty, studying more does not necessarily mean a higher score. It's not like college where the more good hours you put in, the more material you know cold, and the better you do on the exam. The MCAT is *not* that kind of exam.

Take a practice test, get a score, and don't be shocked if it's low. 38 is fine as a goal, but it seems to me that you don't really get how difficult it is to score that well.

Members don't see this ad :)
rsfarrell said:
Unfortunately, when you get up past thirty, studying more does not necessarily mean a higher score. It's not like college where the more good hours you put in, the more material you know cold, and the better you do on the exam. The MCAT is *not* that kind of exam.

Take a practice test, get a score, and don't be shocked if it's low. 38 is fine as a goal, but it seems to me that you don't really get how difficult it is to score that well.

I do realize how hard it's to score that well. But i've done it before in other stuff, so i'm just aiming higher. Oh and i did practice test and got 34. I did 4R.

Well a 34 as a diagnostic would probably set you up for a 38 but you already said you know the material inside and out.

Either way 35 and above is still good. Good Luck.

psrai85 said:
I do realize how hard it's to score that well. But i've done it before in other stuff, so i'm just aiming higher. Oh and i did practice test and got 34. I did 4R.

I think if you actually had the 38 under your belt folks on here would be more positive about your chances. Everyone dreams of getting that kind of number, studies hard and shoots for it, but frankly it doesn't seem to work out that impressively for most. Good luck.

You really never know with the MCAT. You cannot be smug that you will get a 38, regardless of your practice situations. Also, 4R is quite an easy test -- I laughed at the physical section, the MCAT's was much harder. With that said, I'm confident you can get 31-32+, which is a decent score. Your GPA will lock you out of many American schools, despite your GPA -- especially since you went to a Canadian school [Canadians who went to Ivies for undergrad fare a lot better]. With that said, research the lower tier schools, and apply early to them. Caribbean you're a shoe-in. DO you're also a shoe-in, provided you never want to practice again in Canada (DO is not recognized).

anon-y-mouse said:
You really never know with the MCAT. You cannot be smug that you will get a 38, regardless of your practice situations. Also, 4R is quite an easy test -- I laughed at the physical section, the MCAT's was much harder. With that said, I'm confident you can get 31-32+, which is a decent score. Your GPA will lock you out of many American schools, despite your GPA -- especially since you went to a Canadian school [Canadians who went to Ivies for undergrad fare a lot better]. With that said, research the lower tier schools, and apply early to them. Caribbean you're a shoe-in. DO you're also a shoe-in, provided you never want to practice again in Canada (DO is not recognized).

I was also wonering that if i do go to a Caribean school. Is it same later on i mean are u at a disadvantage if u go there. If i do well and do well on USMLE's..is it possible to get a decent residencey. Possibly in surgery and stuff.????

psrai85 said:
I was also wonering that if i do go to a Caribean school. Is it same later on i mean are u at a disadvantage if u go there. If i do well and do well on USMLE's..is it possible to get a decent residencey. Possibly in surgery and stuff.????

go to www.valuemd.com - it's the caribbean forum. you can get a decent residency but you'll have to work your ass off and spend a lot of money. good luck!

A 34 on 4R is a great start. I think if you study more and take many more practice tests under realistic conditions a super high score like a 38 is certainly within reach. Your average score on several Full-Lenght Practice Tests is a good indicator of how you'll fair on the actual MCAT.

Being a fellow Canadian, I can sympathize with the competition of getting into a Canadian Medical School. Even worse, you're in Ontario, the most competitive spot for med schools in North America. I hate to say it, but you're GPA will hurt you no matter now high your MCAT score is. Right off the bat, even if you score a 45 on the MCAT, you will be rejected from McMaster, Memorial, Toronto, McGill, Queen's, possibly some others. Canadian schools are extremly picky.

However, some Canadian schools drop a certain number of grades from your GPA. For example, University of Western Ontario only looks at your two most recent consecutive full-time GPA years. Same with Saskatchewan I do believe. So perhaps that might work to your favor and raise your 3.00 .

Lastly, most applicants who do poorly during undergrad usually make up for it by doing a Master's and it seems many Canadian Med Schools give you extra points for this. This might be an option if you really want to stay in Canada. If not, Carribean is a shoe-in, as others have said.

SensesFail said:
A 34 on 4R is a great start. I think if you study more and take many more practice tests under realistic conditions a super high score like a 38 is certainly within reach. Your average score on several Full-Lenght Practice Tests is a good indicator of how you'll fair on the actual MCAT.

Being a fellow Canadian, I can sympathize with the competition of getting into a Canadian Medical School. Even worse, you're in Ontario, the most competitive spot for med schools in North America. I hate to say it, but you're GPA will hurt you no matter now high your MCAT score is. Right off the bat, even if you score a 45 on the MCAT, you will be rejected from McMaster, Memorial, Toronto, McGill, Queen's, possibly some others. Canadian schools are extremly picky.

However, some Canadian schools drop a certain number of grades from your GPA. For example, University of Western Ontario only looks at your two most recent consecutive full-time GPA years. Same with Saskatchewan I do believe. So perhaps that might work to your favor and raise your 3.00 .

Lastly, most applicants who do poorly during undergrad usually make up for it by doing a Master's and it seems many Canadian Med Schools give you extra points for this. This might be an option if you really want to stay in Canada. If not, Carribean is a shoe-in, as others have said.

thx for all the help. I'm in my 3rd year of 5 yr programme. Doing well this year. so if i do well this year and the next two years, i should have a good chance of getting in Western aand MAC... cause they take only 2 and 3 years (the most recent)...so does ottawa. So that's what i'm aiming for. If not then US or caribean. HIgh MCAT won't necessarly help me, but atleast i can say that i know my stuff (maybe if they ask during interview etc)

SensesFail said:
Your average score on several Full-Lenght Practice Tests is a good indicator of how you'll fair on the actual MCAT.

The key word here is several. It's very possible to find a test that exclusively covers topics you are strong on, just as its possible to find a test on which you are weak. I think the best rule of thumb is the take three full length tests under strict exam timing conditions (i.e. no mid-section breaks, all parts of an exam within one day, etc), then take the average of the scores, and if it's a close grouping, you will probably reasonably expect to score within three points (higher or lower) of that number. If it's not a close grouping, play it safe and assume you are toward the low end and keep studying hard.
Bottom line, a 34 on one practice test doesn't mean you are going to get anything close to a 38, but at least you are at a very good starting place.

Law2Doc said:
The key word here is several. It's very possible to find a test that exclusively covers topics you are strong on, just as its possible to find a test on which you are weak. I think the best rule of thumb is the take three full length tests under strict exam timing conditions (i.e. no mid-section breaks, all parts of an exam within one day, etc), then take the average of the scores, and if it's a close grouping, you will probably reasonably expect to score within three points (higher or lower) of that number. If it's not a close grouping, play it safe and assume you are toward the low end and keep studying hard.
Bottom line, a 34 on one practice test doesn't mean you are going to get anything close to a 38, but at least you are at a very good starting place.

I did another test 5R and was able to score a 32. So i guess if i work hard enough, i can expect around mid 30's or higher. :thumbup:

psrai85 said:
I did another test 5R and was able to score a 32. So i guess if i work hard enough, i can expect around mid 30's or higher. :thumbup:

Keep working, you are on track -- but as I said above, (and it's not a hard and fast rule) people generally tend to score within about 3 points above OR BELOW the scores they are (consistently) getting on practice tests. There's something about the endurance, stress and pressure of the real thing that sometimes costs people points, makes them forget things they should know, etc.

psrai85 said:

What are my chances with the following (i'm working hard to get these when i apply)

1) 38 or higher on MCAT
2) 3.0 GPA
5) Volunteered in Africa for 2 months; i have lots of other volunteering stuff aswell

I was just wondering what are my chance of getting into American, Canadian or Caribean schools with the above stuff. I'm fron Ontario, Canada

Get that GPA up! Take additional non science classes. Take easy classes. Do something! Even if you did get a 38 on the mcat there is very very little chance that you would get into a US school with a 3.0. In addition, there is no such thing as "working towards" a 38 on the mcat. Either you take it on that day and get it, or you don't. I have an ex girlfriend who consistently scored 37-39 on practice mcats but only a 35 on the actual one. SHe was disappointed and wanted to retake it. I told her that she was insane.

Remember, the only mcat score that counts is the one that you take on the actual test date!

psrai85 said:

1) 38 or higher on MCAT
2) 3.0 GPA

Get that GPA up! Take additional non science classes. Take easy classes. Do something! Even if you did get a 38 on the mcat there is very very little chance that you would get into a US school with a 3.0. In addition, there is no such thing as "working towards" a 38 on the mcat. Either you take it on that day and get it, or you don't. I have an ex girlfriend who consistently scored 37-39 on practice mcats but only a 35 on the actual one. SHe was disappointed and wanted to retake it. I told her that she was insane.

Remember, the only mcat score that counts is the one that you get on the actual test date!

psrai85 said:
i should have a good chance of getting in Western aand MAC... cause they take only 2 and 3 years (the most recent)...so does ottawa.

also check out queens, from their site:

GPA Cutoff

The first cutoff is based on the cumulative converted grade point average (see the OMSAS Conversion Scale) of all years of undergraduate study. Students who do not meet this cutoff but whose average in the most recent two years of undergraduate study is at or above the cutoff will be included in the group to be considered for the second cutoff.

--

that means that you can make the cutoff based on your last two years

can you guys clear up western for me please??

i know just to be considered you need to have two years over 3.6. however, i'm not sure what years they look at when calculating your gpa, as gpa is 25% of their consideration factors for you overall acceptatance! is it your last two years of uni (not counting the one you're applying in), or is it your best 2 years (like they do for their dentistry school??