Honest opinions...Do I have what it takes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jwindsor1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If Yale said no, I expect they mean no, as they didn't also say that special circumstances will be considered. Are you aware that Yale doesn't accept AP credits unless they are supplemented with additional higher level classwork in the same discipline?

I'd say move on and aim for other med schools. Q of Quimica, a moderator in the Nontraditional Forum, has posted there about how she got accepted despite going to a college that didn't give grades. Track that down and see how she did it. Also meet with your advisor; surely your school has grads that have gotten into med school and the advisor can fill you in on how they did it without a GPA. Well, actually you do have a GPA, and you may need to mend it some with classes taken elsewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
A year of English is a common med school requirement, so it might make a difference.

You get your training in Pediatrics, then neonatology during residency and fellowship, not med school. As pediatrics is not a particularly competitive specialty to go into, the name of the med school won't matter. Your Step I score and a good performance in thrid year clerkships will matter and if good allow you to match into a more competitive residency at a big name hospital.

Your CC GPA is fine, and doesn't need mending.

I am sure it can be done.
have you worked on your ECs yet though? and do know that acceleration is actually frowned upon in med school application so the fact that you will be 19 when you apply will actually hurt you a bit. Also, looks like your mcats will be even more important, so if you are aiming for yale, you need a 37+ to be competitive. That's 98 percentile ish.

This is from Yale's website (not sure if this will apply)

"Advanced courses may be substituted for introductory-level courses in each of these subjects."

So, maybe my intro bio, calc. I, and gen chem can be substituted with cell bio, calc. II and biochem (since o. chem is a separate requirement).

Any thoughts on this? (I will of course ask Yale personally)