Honest -Opinions Please. I can take it......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GiaBella

Reaction score
Greetings everyone.
Thank you for taking the time to read this . I need advice STAT lol.
Seriously here it goes ( and thank you to anyone and everyone who answers this.

I am 54 years old ....and have run a successful business for several years. I have worked with several doctors over the years and have had them as clients.
But here is the thing I have always wanted to be a doctor. So now I have decided to go back to school in 2019. TO begin the process of becoming a Dr. Everyone agrees that this is a wonderful idea and i have full support. However I am in search of some raw -real answers. I know several Doctors that have practiced into their 80"s.

Some background :

I started my Business decades ago when I was in my late 20's so school was never an interest as My comapny took off.

My mother is 94 and is as sharp as a tack and fully mobile and worked until the age of 80. And still runs around like crazy lol day and night .

My wife of 7 years is 30 years young and keeps me "hip" lol so im not too nervouse about being around younger students and them thinking im an oldie lol .

We have a 6 year old child and one on the way. I have the full support of my wife and family .

I am in excellent health-lots of energy. So what do you think???? AM I NUTS?

Please advise.....thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Is it kind of crazy? Yeah, but you wouldn't be the first person who has done it in their 50s. If you're well off enough to afford the fact you'd likely take on 200-400k in debt and not have a long enough working window to really make up for it, then I don't see why not. You only live once. You have to understand that this is a very long process, though. If you're successful, you're talking about a situation in which your life as an attending physician won't begin until most people are retiring. You'd essentially be kissing any hope of a retired life goodbye.

It may also be worth noting that women usually live longer than men. I don't know if using your mother's mental acuity as a predictor of your own is a great idea. One of my grandmothers lived to be 89. The other is still alive. My grandfathers, however, both passed away at 73.

Honestly, embarking on the premed journey at 50+ isn't generally advisable, outside of having had some kind of clinical background that led you to this point.

Let me make a few assumptions and lay out a rough timeline for you:
1) You complete a 1-year post-bacc program to complete all premed requirements
2) You're cGPA and sGPA are competitive enough at the conclusion of that program to apply right away
3) You're admitted on your first try--unfortunately, this is never a given. And on another note, you'll likely need to move; is your family ready for that?
4) 4 years med school then residency, which would at minimum be 3 years for primary care (IM, FM, etc...not the highest paying specialties, which affects how loan payments will go)
5) Congrats, you can start practicing

That's AT LEAST 8 years of school and training ahead, easily more depending on your choice of specialty and any other bumps that come along the way. Are you really ready to have a whole new career at 62? What about loans (possibly $200k+)?

Adcoms are going to wonder why you would want to do medicine at this point in your life. It's a simple enough question. What's your answer? Have you really, truly thought through the implications of this choice?

I'd never tell someone not to follow their dreams, but make sure medicine is your calling. If it isn't, med school isn't right for you, no matter your age.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Financially it is not likely to be a good idea anymore

But who cares, do what you want

And no, sleeping with someone in their thirties won’t make your classmates think you are young. But it’s fine to be old, it happens to a lot of people

Reactions: 3 users
I don't think your chances are very good, but like everyone else said, go ahead and apply. There may be a med school out there willing to take a chance on you. You won't know until you throw your hat into the ring.

Have you ever had any experience with todays level of Biology/Chemistry/Physics?
It may be worth grabbing a few textbooks and seeing if you think you are capable of learning an entire new field (I'm assuming, you didn't mention what kind of business).

My biggest concern if I was in your situation would be if I was up to the task of absorbing such a huge amount of new information. Fluid intelligence tends to start declining in the 30's and makes learning new concepts more difficult.

With that said, if you think you are capable and truly want to, then do it.

Honestly, you get one life (as far as we all know) so live it without regrets. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise. If medical school -> physician is the path you want, do it. It will take time, dedication, hard work, long hours, and a true commitment. Talk to schools you would want to attend and have some honest conversations with them, they can guide you. Start planning the courses (prereqs), make sure you do very well, and do not overload yourself just to finish fast. Consider the timeline. Debt is debt, you will be paying it off unless you go into primary care and find a situation that does debt forgiveness. If you want to pursue it, begin now. Do not look back.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm an MS2 and am a nontrad. I've done well academically, and enjoyed both the formal cirriculum and the simulated patient interactions.

While I can't say whether or not attending a good idea - ultimately that depends a lot on you and the programs you might have to choose from - some food for thought:

1. The culture on campus has shifted radically to the left in the past few years, especially on topics of race and gender. Political expression outside of left-authoritarian perspectives is quickly branded as unprofessional, ie cause to kick you out of med school. Meanwhile the alt-left runs their mouth constantly, with blessing and sometimes participation by, faculty.

2. Tangentially related to the above, grossly exaggerated claims of sexual and racial harassment are becoming common, especially against white males.

An example: a late 30's nontrad friend of mine cracked a mildly suggestive joke (of the type you might hear on PBS' Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me) in the cafeteria that fit, from my vantage, well within the context of the conversation. A student who wears a burka and who lived with her parents until she started med school in her mid 20s sitting at another table overheard the joke, and reported it as sexual harassment to admins. They pressured him to quit, he declined, they hit him with a formal professionalism hearing, he had to write a 10k word essay about sexual harassment and they advised him his dean's letter would contain a narrative about the incident. My gut is they will put him in situations where he's bound to fail and drum him out by the end of 3rd year.

Another friend of mine - 25 at matriculation I believe - got a write up for staring at women. While my experience of him was that he did sometimes stare a bit, it was miles away from reasonably being an administrative issue. The guy just stopped coming to campus except for mandatory stuff, shut down completely socially...my assumption is he got a similar penalty.

3. Tangentially related to the above two issues, screeds against "racist white males" are also common, including some by faculty.

4. Do not delude yourself with rosy notions about medicine being free from discrimination. While the number of those with active age bias are probably lower than in most industries, the enormous power imbued into faculty and preceptors to enforce subjective standards of professionalism also opens the door for them to enforce their biases. A 56 year old MS1 is going to face a lot of crap, especially if a dreaded white male.

5. Its a 10+ year journey, and in most cases you pick up 400k+ in debt.

6. Socially, it starts getting awkward in your 30s, certainly by your 40s. If you go, you'll be sitting alone a lot...or with 22 year olds whose conversation skills were developed on twitter and who want to talk about how the use of the term "Caucasian" is offensive and also about how old you are.

This post is written as if you know OP is a conservative white male. What if OP is of the super alt-left crowd? I must have missed something in OP's OP. Or maybe you're writing a general warning to all conservative older white males considering medical school?

You have a med student who wears a burka?

I'm an MS2 and am a nontrad. I've done well academically, and enjoyed both the formal curriculum and the simulated patient interactions. While I like medicine, I do not like the culture of my campus, which is probably best described as an Antifa rally without the drugs or music....its bad enough that I've strongly considered quitting.

While I can't say whether or not attending a good idea - ultimately that depends a lot on you and the programs you might have to choose from - some food for thought:

1. The culture on campus has shifted radically to the left in the past few years, especially on topics of race and gender. Political expression outside of left-authoritarian perspectives is quickly branded as unprofessional, ie cause to kick you out of med school. Meanwhile the alt-left runs their mouth constantly, with blessing and sometimes participation by, faculty.

2. Tangentially related to the above, grossly exaggerated claims of sexual and racial harassment are becoming common, especially against white males.

An example: a late 30's nontrad friend of mine cracked a mildly suggestive joke (of the type you might hear on PBS' Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me) in the cafeteria that fit, from my vantage, well within the context of the conversation. A student who wears a burka and who lived with her parents until she started med school in her mid 20s sitting at another table overheard the joke, and reported it as sexual harassment to admins. They pressured him to quit, he declined, they hit him with a formal professionalism hearing, he had to write a 10k word essay about sexual harassment and they advised him his dean's letter would contain a narrative about the incident. My gut is they will put him in situations where he's bound to fail and drum him out by the end of 3rd year.

Another friend of mine - 25 at matriculation I believe - got a write up for staring at women. While my experience of him was that he did sometimes stare a bit, it was miles away from reasonably being an administrative issue. The guy just stopped coming to campus except for mandatory stuff, shut down completely socially...my assumption is he got a similar penalty.

3. Tangentially related to the above two issues, screeds against "racist white males" are also common, including some by faculty.

4. Do not delude yourself with rosy notions about medicine being free from discrimination. While the number of those with active age bias are probably lower than in most industries, the enormous power imbued into faculty and preceptors to enforce subjective standards of professionalism also opens the door for them to enforce their biases. A 56 year old MS1 is going to face a lot of crap, especially if a dreaded white male.

5. Its a 10+ year journey, and in most cases you pick up 400k+ in debt.

6. Socially, it starts getting awkward in your 30s, certainly by your 40s. If you go, you'll be sitting alone a lot...or with 22 year olds whose conversation skills were developed on twitter and who want to talk about how the use of the term "Caucasian" is offensive and also about how old you are.

I can see that you linked political discrimination to age discrimination, but I'm not certain how it helps in this case, other that to illustrate discrimination exists in most facets of life.

But out of curiosity, do the schools in your examples happen to be in California or NYC?

Greetings everyone.

I am 54 years old ....and have run a successful business for several years. I have worked with several doctors over the years and have had them as clients.
But here is the thing I have always wanted to be a doctor. So now I have decided to go back to school in 2019. TO begin the process of becoming a Dr. Everyone agrees that this is a wonderful idea and i have full support. However I am in search of some raw -real answers. I know several Doctors that have practiced into their 80"s.

Some background :

I started my Business decades ago when I was in my late 20's so school was never an interest as My comapny took off.

My mother is 94 and is as sharp as a tack and fully mobile and worked until the age of 80. And still runs around like crazy lol day and night .

My wife of 7 years is 30 years young and keeps me "hip" lol so im not too nervouse about being around younger students and them thinking im an oldie lol .

We have a 6 year old child and one on the way. I have the full support of my wife and family .

Med school isn't the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

Reactions: 3 users
Working backward, this guy entered medical school at 48. OP is already 54 and still apparently needs to do pre-req coursework and then apply, with matriculation a year after the application cycle.

Yes OP will be older when he begins medical school. Wingfield is a 55yo PGY4 anesthesia resident.

Greetings everyone.

Some background :

Are you "nuts"? Yes.
Is it possible? Also yes.
Understand that it is a long and sleepless road ahead for a minimum of 7 years (4 years MD/DO school and 3 years minimum of residency). Understand that you will likely graduate with >$200,000 in loans that will take a minimum of 3 years of residency to start making an attending salary, and understand that you will be taking orders from residents and attendings younger than you for those 7 years. But if all of that doesn't bother you and you want to be a physician, then go for it. My med school mentor went back to school when she was 50+ and she is a wonderful physician and advisor. I wish you the best.

OP, did you complete a bachelor's degree? Your original post does not mention this specifically.

Starting a bachelor's degree full-time next year will most likely mean you will not be able to apply to medical school till you are 57/58. Making you 58/59 when you start medical school, 62/63 when you start residency, 65/66 when you enter practice (provided you go into a 3 year residency).

If this is indeed the case, this is going to be a pretty rough path, but not impossible. I would also encourage considering PA school if serving patients is more important to you than the complete scope & title of physician.

The pain you are trying to sign up for was hard enough for me to endure in my late 20s. I can’t imagine doing it at age 60. It’s been done before but only by a handful of people. I would suggest looking elsewhere to try and fill what’s missing in your life.

You have a young wife. Keep her happy. Med school and residency are notorious for ending in divorce. Draining your retirement savings and not being around to help her raise kids is probably not going to make her very happy.

Everyone has a different opinion of the hard cut off for how old is too old. But there’s always a number. A few people may say 70. IMO you need to start by your early 30s.

I started this process 11 years ago at age 23 (first pre req) and won’t be done and board certified until I’m 36. Translate that to you, you’ll be starting your career at 67 years old.

Last edited:
I'd never tell someone not to follow their dreams

Really? What if the person were 90, but spry? What if it were me, who decided I wanted to try to be a professional basketball player in my mid 30s and was willing to practice 10 hours a day?

Aging is a sad fact of life that we all have to deal with. I will be in my mid 50s at some point too (god willing) and will look back on the choices I’ve made and the path I’ve chosen. I can think about different choices I could have made, and I will just to have accept that what’s done is done and trying to make a different choice now is not the same as going back in time and making that choice 30 years ago. There are still choices to be made and different paths to take at age 50, but there are some choices of young people that I just can’t do. I can’t choose to have children if I’m a woman. I can’t choose to try out for the baseball team. I can’t choose to ask the pretty cheerleader to prom (unless you want to choose to go to jail), I can’t choose to reenroll in college and live the freshman life again in the dorms, I can’t choose to enlist in the marines, etc. Hell I’m having a hard time dealing with some of this stuff already after age 30, the finality of it all. But I am comforted somewhat by the fact that everyone goes through it and there are still plenty of forks in the road and choices to be made in ones 30s and onwards. Keep going forward.