MD & DO Honest opinions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maark0

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My main question: What stance do medical stools take towards academic redemption?

My main school I would like to apply to in the future is UT Southwestern. My mother went there, and she appeared to gain noteworthy experience there. I also favor this school because the location is great (Dallas has always been a favorite), and the internal medicine program is exceptional. With the history of their fI aspire to become a rheumatologist or immunopathologist. I just hope this is obtainable with my history.

I'm going to be honest, I have had difficulty with schooling since middle school. I am, by all means, not incapable of performing the work now. I finally got over my problem in December. My lifestyle has greatly improved along with my grades now. I just fear this problem would affect my chances in the future.

I currently am at a community college, so I'm not yet in the process of taking the MCATs yet. I do hope to transfer to UT Dallas or Austin in the future and acquire residential status there. I prefer Dallas due to the fact that I could most likely acquire a job easier. I hope to continue being a scribe since I have had this job for 4 and 1/2 years.

My other medical experience include:
Shadowing a hospice and palliative care physician (I recommend this very much!)
Shadowing a rheumatologist

Volunteering:
I have not had the privilege to gain experience yet. I completed the training as patient volunteer and support for a nonprofit hospice organization approximately 1 year ago, but I had not been assigned a patient to work with yet.

Miscellaneous experience:
I am a certified welder who has passed a welding exam. I followed this path initially because I was not sure of what I wanted to be.

I am an African-American male. My problem was not "anxiety and depression"; I am not trying to shame those individuals.

I choose this profession because I love learning logic problems. I do not desire to perform frequent interventional procedures, so internal medicine and pathology are great candidates.

Members don't see this ad.