honest second thoughts - MD vs PA???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi, I would be very interested in your input.

Two years ago I decided to go pre-med as a rising sophomore in college. I tried my best and aced my biology classes though struggled with chemistry and physics, ultimately earning a cGPA of 3.45 and scGPA of 3.21. Graduating from college I knew getting into medical school would not be easy but I felt motivated.

Now after four months of scribing at an ER, I have started to seriously consider becoming a PA. However my reasons don’t seem to line up with other people that chose the profession over MD/DO. I am still in my early 20s, I am not eager to start a family anytime soon, the idea of spending 7 more years in school is not a huge turn-off. My reasons are a little different and include:

- I like the security of working under a higher professional who knows more than me and can check my work. Though I like my independence, I do not naturally pursue leadership.
- I am reluctant to work any job that will take over my life. I want time to date, have a social life, and pursue hobbies. I am also close to my immediate family and fear that I won’t be able to see them enough.
-- Though I can’t deny the income of a doctor is appealing, I am not strongly motivated by money. I consider myself a minimalist and can live happily without many luxuries.
-I have no doctors in the family, no close family in health care, nor is anyone is my family particularly affluent. I am concerned that becoming a doctor will alienate me from my family.
- Lastly, I have a history of depression/anxiety. Though I have been able to control it for the last few years, I am afraid the long, sleep-depriving haul of medical school and residency might bring it out and get the best of me.

Despite these doubts, I am starting at MCAT class next week. I plan on going and taking the test regardless though I can’t help to think that medicine is not right for me. I would really like to hear from anyone else on the brink of ending their medical aspirations and considering another field in or out of medicine.
From what you've posted, PA is a better match if you want to serve in healthcare. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.