Honest thoughts for dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oakwon

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I need some real advice here. I recently (as in yesterday) took the DAT and I got a 21 AA.
I know that score is fairly decent. There is a huge "But." my GPA is a sub 3.0. Is it worth applying this late in the application process?
Are there even schools that accept applications this late though? I believe UOP's deadline is January, but any others? All thoughts appreciated.

Thank you!
(Oh but I am applying to postbaccs in the meantime as well)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I need some real advice here. I recently (as in yesterday) took the DAT and I got a 21 AA.
I know that score is fairly decent. There is a huge "But." my GPA is a sub 3.0. Is it worth applying this late in the application process?
Are there even schools that accept applications this late though? I believe UOP's deadline is January, but any others? All thoughts appreciated.

Thank you!
No. Most schools have cutoff's at 3.0. I was in a similar situation as you -- I decided to raise my GPA by doing a Masters. Got it above 3.0 to a ~3.14 and retook my dat from an 18 --> 24 AA. I also applied early, like Mid-June. Even then, I only had 2 interviews and ended up getting into both in January/February, so I wasn't even in the first wave as it was.

I would raise your GPA by either a postbacc or formal Masters and then apply in early June 2021 in anticipation for interviews Sept/Oct 2021 and acceptance hopefully around Jan/Feb 2022 (probably wont get in on the first acceptance day of December 2021), and begin school September 2022. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for letting me know.
If you don't mind me asking, where did you take your masters?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

Thank you!
do a masters program
it will give you a separate graduate gpa
postbacc will be with your undergrad gpa...

Reactions: 1 users