Honestly, what are my chances and what kind of school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nossonif

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Residence: Michigan
College: Ohio State University
GPA: 3.55
Science GPA: 3.30
MCAT
PS: 12 BS: 11 V: 9
Major: Microbiology
Minor: Philosophy
Good Recommendation Letters from variety of different people
Community involvement
Student leadership experience

Applying next June, What are my chances?
Do I significantly improve my chances if I get my MPH?

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

Your stats are maybe a bit below average; your GPA's a little more below average than your MCAT is above average, but overall your stats are probably fine. Beyond that, you're going to have to give us better info than "community involvement" in order for us to help you; I understand that people like to make these things anonymous, but this really gives us nothing to work with. You don't necessarily have to give every little detail, but some general info like the total time spent in clinical experience and then other amounts of volunteer hours are really pretty important and it's impossible to evaluate your chances without those pieces of info. Great ECs might mean you're a very strong applicant, weak ECs might make you unacceptable.

An MPH won't help you at all; it's essentially seen like a nice EC, but schools will always look at your undergrad GPA before your grad school courses.

What is the duration and extent of your clinical experience? Did you do research? Are you taking more science classes next semester to get your BCPM GPA up more before applying? Will your application reflect teamwork? How have you demonstrated your altruism? It's hard to gauge your chances without a fuller picture of your application. The MCAT score is good though.

Last edited: