Honestly, what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gracielin89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

Alright, so I recently took the MCAT and received my scores. I got 12PS, 11BS, and...... 7V. My verbal was really bad, as you can see. My current GPA is 3.875, but I'm trying to get it up to at least 3.9. And I'm majoring in biomedical engineering.

I currently go to the University of Missouri (Mizzou) and I'd be happy going to our medical school. The average MCAT score is a 29 (I think) and the average GPA is around a 3.7.

I'm in the application process now. Trying to figure out all this personal statement stuff. I know I definitely need to address my low verbal score in my PS, and they'll ask about it if I get an interview. My question is, what are my chances of getting into a med school?

Grace

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Nice GPA! The overall MCAT score is acceptable, but what you have to be worried about is being screened due to a "minimum requirement" in each section of the MCAT. Much like how at least a C is required in each prereq class, most schools will probably require at least an 8 in each MCAT section. Retaking the MCAT and boosting that verbal a point or two should not only ensure an acceptance at a med school, but also broaden your choices and competitiveness at higher tier schools.

If "Mizzou" is the school in Columbia, then their bottom 10th percentile for verbal score is an 8, giving you little choice about a retake if you'd like to go there for med school. Median MCAT score for acceptees is 31, GPA 3.8, according to the current MSAR. Median matriculant data from the previous year was 30.9/3.77.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else dont get how a 3.975 is not already a 3.9? :confused:

:D

Yeah, I though the same...although I'm no math expert.:laugh:

Retake the MCAT and you will be find, even with a 3.975 (a 3.9 would be better though)

Retake and get that verbal up.

Are you a non-native english speaker?

Well, you really should retake the MCAT because a 7 really wouldn't cut it at almost all MD schools in the US (well baring some instate schools, but I don't think Mizzou is one of them). If you can get your verbal up a point or two, even if the sciences drop a point or two you will be much more competitive. In order to get verbal up quick, use exam crackers, that seems to be the best verbal helper for most people. I know you don't want to hear it, but 7 just won't cut it. sorry.

Yeah, I know my verbal is too low. The only problem is, I'm not positive I can raise it. I've never been good at critical reading. Even on the ACT, I didn't do well on the reading portion. My practice tests had a consistent verbal of 6-8. I'm not sure if I should take the chance of retaking the test and getting the same verbal score, because then I have a track record of low verbal.

Would a 4.0 GPA in sciences help?

Yeah, I know my verbal is too low. The only problem is, I'm not positive I can raise it. I've never been good at critical reading. Even on the ACT, I didn't do well on the reading portion. My practice tests had a consistent verbal of 6-8. I'm not sure if I should take the chance of retaking the test and getting the same verbal score, because then I have a track record of low verbal.

Would a 4.0 GPA in sciences help?

If you dont think you can raise the verbal, then dont retake the MCAT and go down....

I would just take my chance this cycle and retake if it keeps you out....sounds too risky with what you are telling me.

I also worked in a clinical research lab the summer of my freshman year and a wet research lab summer of my sophomore year. Both were at WashU Med School, if that helps my chances.

Hi!

Alright, so I recently took the MCAT and received my scores. I got 12PS, 11BS, and...... 7V. My verbal was really bad, as you can see. My current GPA is 3.875, but I'm trying to get it up to at least 3.9. And I'm majoring in biomedical engineering.

I currently go to the University of Missouri (Mizzou) and I'd be happy going to our medical school. The average MCAT score is a 29 (I think) and the average GPA is around a 3.7.

I'm in the application process now. Trying to figure out all this personal statement stuff. I know I definitely need to address my low verbal score in my PS, and they'll ask about it if I get an interview. My question is, what are my chances of getting into a med school?

Grace

I also worked in a clinical research lab the summer of my freshman year and a wet research lab summer of my sophomore year. Both were at WashU Med School, if that helps my chances.

You have everything else going for you besides the 7 on VR. People rarely get in without at least an 8 in each section. You might be thinking your score is just a point less, but it might make or break your application since a lot of schools have at least an 8 in each section cutoff. My advice would be to retake the MCAT after at least couple months of solid studying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Call the University of Missouri and ask if they screen out applicants with a 7VR.

If they don't, you might be able to slip in

It seems like my chances are really slim for MU, but I'd really like to go there since it's where I'm going to school now :/
What about other instate schools?

I'm planning on addressing my low verbal score in my PS, but I'm not the best at writing. I'm not sure what's the best way to go about addressing that. I don't want to come off as making excuses, but I also don't want to make it seem as though I'm brushing it off.

It seems like my chances are really slim for MU, but I'd really like to go there since it's where I'm going to school now :/
What about other instate schools?

I'm planning on addressing my low verbal score in my PS, but I'm not the best at writing. I'm not sure what's the best way to go about addressing that. I don't want to come off as making excuses, but I also don't want to make it seem as though I'm brushing it off.

What score did you get on the writing sample? :laugh:

I'm planning on addressing my low verbal score in my PS, but I'm not the best at writing. I'm not sure what's the best way to go about addressing that.
If you have a pimple on your chin, do you bring it up to every person you speak to and make excuses for having a blemish? No, you don't. The other person is perfectly aware of that pimple and there is no benefit to pointing it out.

In your real-world example of a low VS, I would not address it in the PS. The PS is for positives; it's about Why medicine. Counter the low score by asking LOR writers to specifically comment on your written and verbal communication, problem-solving capability, and critical thinking skills. Wow the adcomms with a perfectly written PS and Secondary essays (a common pitfall is to have a polished PS and Secondary essays filled with spelling, punctuation, and homophone errors, making it clear where one's true ability lies). A good written score helps too.

If you have a pimple on your chin, do you bring it up to every person you speak to and make excuses for having a blemish? No, you don't. The other person is perfectly aware of that pimple and there is no benefit to pointing it out.

In your real-world example of a low VS, I would not address it in the PS. The PS is for positives; it's about Why medicine. Counter the low score by asking LOR writers to specifically comment on your written and verbal communication, problem-solving capability, and critical thinking skills. Wow the adcomms with a perfectly written PS and Secondary essays (a common pitfall is to have a polished PS and Secondary essays filled with spelling, punctuation, and homophone errors, making it clear where one's true ability lies). A good written score helps too.

Aha, my bad. I just read the PS tips/information threads. So it's a bad idea to address it in my PS. I'm not sure why my advisor told me I'd most likely have to talk about it in my PS.

And my writing score was also..bad :X

I started out getting 7's in the verbal section, and I used the examkrackers prep book (101 passages) and got an 11 on the real thing. You should read some of the tips posited in the MCAT section, if you decide to retake the MCAT it'll definitely help you out!

I started out getting 7's in the verbal section, and I used the examkrackers prep book (101 passages) and got an 11 on the real thing. You should read some of the tips posited in the MCAT section, if you decide to retake the MCAT it'll definitely help you out!

-_- yeah, I went through most of the forums dealing with verbal on this site..and others. It's just like one of those things that doesn't click for me.

i've put together a rough list of schools. any input would be great!

u of n dakota
mizzou
marshall
oakland
slu
loma linda
u of arkansas
tulane
michigan state
georgetown
wayne state
drexel

It would help to know the final stats you're applying with and whether that VS is still a 7.

Comments:
u of n dakota-not an AMCAS school. No chance unless you went to HS there.
mizzou
marshall-prefers regional OOSers.
oakland
slu
loma linda
u of arkansas-prefers ties to the state
tulane
michigan state
georgetown
wayne state
drexel

Yet another low verbal score applicant, huh?

It isn't going to cut it, OP. You have to get that score up. It cuts your chances at any school to near zero. Making up for a poor verbal verbal score with high science scores or GPA is also not going to cut it. Adcoms put a lot of weight on verbal scores for reasons that don't always make sense to us mere mortals.

You mention MSU as one of your possibilities. That's my school, and I can tell you that the OOSers we have here have strong academic records and strong expressed interest in working with the underserved, or strong ties to Michigan.

i didn't end up retaking it. so stats are still the same. are there other schools that you think i'd have a fair chance at?

Yet another low verbal score applicant, huh?

It isn't going to cut it, OP. You have to get that score up. It cuts your chances at any school to near zero. Making up for a poor verbal verbal score with high science scores or GPA is also not going to cut it. Adcoms put a lot of weight on verbal scores for reasons that don't always make sense to us mere mortals.

You mention MSU as one of your possibilities. That's my school, and I can tell you that the OOSers we have here have strong academic records and strong expressed interest in working with the underserved, or strong ties to Michigan.

dang, that's harsh. i know it's going to cut my chances a lot, but i trust God in that area, and all areas for that matter.

so does that mean a no for marshall?

thanks for the advice! do you think this list of schools is reasonable (plus the 2 you added)?