Honestly, what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HofstraPreMed

Pre-Med
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did HORRIBLY my first year. I got an F in Bio 1, dropped Bio 2, retook Inorganic Chem 1 twice and got a C in it. My overall GPA was a 1.79, and I didn't bother calculating my science GPA because it is so low. Since then, I have raised my grades, my overall GPA is now 3.4, I recieved no less than a B- in my science classes (Inorgo 2, Orgo 1&2, Physics 1&2, Biochem 1&2, advanced bio, etc.), and my science GPA is now a 3.55. My advisor told me even with the upward trend, Med School's will look down on me because of my F and dropping a class and retaking courses more than once, and said I should look into other careers. I have over 124 credits, mostly science courses, and I received 12 VR, 12 BS, 13 PS on my MCAT.

Honestly, what are my chances for an MD school (mainland or Caribbean)?

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly you have a good chance the MCAT of 37 and no score being below 12 shows that you have the critical thinking skills to do well. Also your GPA is about 3.5 so you are competitive. Apply early though. Tell me what are your extracurricular like?

Those applying through AMCAS in the last three years with similar stats to a 3.4/37 had a ~60-70% chance of an acceptance to a US allopathic school. Of course, this level of success depends on an apppropriate school list, strong ECs and LORs, an intriguing PS, and good interview skills.

Honestly you have a good chance the MCAT of 37 and no score being below 12 shows that you have the critical thinking skills to do well. Also your GPA is about 3.5 so you are competitive. Apply early though. Tell me what are your extracurricular like?

I have volunteered at 2 hospitals consecutively for 3 years, I have been published twice, I did volunteering abroad twice, I am the founder and president of a pre-med club at school, I am a secretary for two other pre-med/pre-health clubs at school, and I am currently shadowing a thoracic surgeon.

Those applying through AMCAS in the last three years with similar stats to a 3.4/37 had a ~60-70% chance of an acceptance to a US allopathic school. Of course, this level of success depends on an apppropriate school list, strong ECs and LORs, an intriguing PS, and good interview skills.

I have heard from representatives of different schools that the interview can make you or break you, as well. I have a personal issue with one of the professors on the Pre-Med Committee, and am debating whether or not I should still get an interview with them for a LOR.

Last edited: