Honesty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilahmy3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just need some brutal honesty here. I started off my freshman year of college terribly. Didn't care about school one bit. Ended freshman year with like a 2.7 GPA.

My grades were:

Evo Bio: B-
Cell Bio: D
Chem 101: B-
Chem 102: C
Calc 1: A
Calc 2: A
English 1: A
English 2: A

My sophomore year I got almost all A's (3.8):

Orgo 1: A
Orgo 2: A
Physics 1: B
Physics 2: A
Physics Lab (one credit): B
Stats: A
Gen Eds: A

My Junior year so far:

Physio: A
Anatomy: A
A few psych classes: A

Classes Going to Take next two semesters (around 35 more credits):

Biochem
Microbio
Computer Science
Couple Gen Eds
Couple Major Required Classes

So barring any sudden changes, with my new work ethic I am hoping to continue to get A's and hopefully around a 33-36 on my MCAT (signed up for Jan 23rd but if I don't feel prepared enough by November I will reschedule and take the new one in spring).

My question is, even if all that happens, would it really still be possible to get into any US medical school considering how terrible my freshman year was? I know medical schools take a lot more into consideration than just grades, but I feel as if an upward trend is meaningless. My school counselor told me I should reconsider my career goals, as she said an A in orgo is not the same as an A in gen chem because its different concepts which I failed to understand back then (even though i know them now).

As far as EC's go:

I shadowed several different doctors in different medical fields, observed a lot of live surgery, volunteered in every different department in the hospital, did a few volunteer projects with the United Way branch affiliated with the Buffalo Bills, I'm in the process of writing my own book on fitness and healthy eating (crazy business idea i know but hey its worth a try and its something i love), won a few basketball tourneys (not that it matters to med schools at all but it sorta shows I have a life!), did band for 8 years and starting to learn piano (can play Fur Elise if that counts for anything!), been in consistent talks with SCNO in starting a chapter at my school this spring, and besides that I'll just keep up with more volunteer work and clinical hours. Can't get into any researches because my GPA isn't high enough (need a 3.7 minimum for the good ones :/ )

So sorry for the long post but after seeing the whole package I need brutal honesty from anyone. Let me know what you think and what you think my next steps should be!

Thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad.

What's your GPA now? You look fine. 1 D isn't going to prevent you from getting into a med school

What's your GPA now? You look fine. 1 D isn't going to prevent you from getting into a med school
3.48 :/ the thing is I got a D and a C in critical pre reqs for med school

3.48 :/ the thing is I got a D and a C in critical pre reqs for med school
Hi there, I'm in a similar situation. I'm wondering how things have held up for you in this situation? Have you been given any advice that could be helpful to others in a similar situation?