Hong Kong : license exam, elective, medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello,

I'll try with this forum to put together all the information I need and you need about Hong Kong.

Me, I'm a 6th year medical student in Europe and I'll try to take the license exam of Hong Kong in 2 years. I had a short elective in a hospital in Hong Kong last year.

Do someone got any information about people who passed the licensing examination ? I need to know what to study for the exam. I think USMLE would be good but I think it won't be enough.

Thanks in advance

Thanks !

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I passed the 2010 HKMLE parts 1 and 3 in one attempt. It was not easy, but it can be done. I was preparing for a year before the exam, as it was nearly 20 years since I had done any Medicine, OB/GYN or Surgery reviews (I am a pediatrician, US-trained).

Part 3, the clinical exam, is much harder and is much more about pleasing examiners. You should begin preparation for part 3 long before you take part 1. Part one review is practically pointless, since it empasses virtually all premedical and medical basic science. If you werent asleep for those 4 years, you will likely remember a few things, probably enough to get you through part 1. Part 3 should be prepared for as for the MRCP PACES exam, but with the same depth in OBGYN, surgery and peds as in medicine. It is not true that the HKMLE is about "Hong Kong diseases"- you need to only know a little more about the higher prevalence diseases there (nasopharyngeal carcinoma, hepatitis E, tuberculosis, mitral rheumatic heart disease) than for the MRCP or USMLE.

Anyone who is interested in finding out more should see the HKMLE page on Facebook or email me- Im happy to share review materials.

I passed the 2010 HKMLE parts 1 and 3 in one attempt. It was not easy, but it can be done. I was preparing for a year before the exam, as it was nearly 20 years since I had done any Medicine, OB/GYN or Surgery reviews (I am a pediatrician, US-trained).

Part 3, the clinical exam, is much harder and is much more about pleasing examiners. You should begin preparation for part 3 long before you take part 1. Part one review is practically pointless, since it empasses virtually all premedical and medical basic science. If you werent asleep for those 4 years, you will likely remember a few things, probably enough to get you through part 1. Part 3 should be prepared for as for the MRCP PACES exam, but with the same depth in OBGYN, surgery and peds as in medicine. It is not true that the HKMLE is about "Hong Kong diseases"- you need to only know a little more about the higher prevalence diseases there (nasopharyngeal carcinoma, hepatitis E, tuberculosis, mitral rheumatic heart disease) than for the MRCP or USMLE.

Anyone who is interested in finding out more should see the HKMLE page on Facebook or email me- Im happy to share review materials.

If you practice medicine in Hong Kong, do you have to be able to speak Chinese/Cantonese

Members don't see this ad :)
Dear Momo,
Thanks for the list of books below. I am a US pediatrician and will be taking the HKMLE this September. Didn't see any threads on this, but sorry if I missed it - any suggestions on where I can buy these books? I am in HK right now so I will check out the bookstore at HKU, but wondering if there is another store or on-line site I should be checking out?
Thanks again and hope the clinical exam went well!

Hello,

I am new to the forum.

As I was sifting through the threads, I couldnt' help but notice there are a quite a few people out there who have finished, or are currently finishing, medical education in US or Cananda, and are looking into going to HK to pursue further medical training.

I am quite intrigued and perplexed by this phenomenom, as it seems to me that current trend nowadays is, medical graduates from Asia are busting their heads trying to land a residency spot in the US or Canada.

But as stated above, there are actually US/Canadian graduates leaving Western soils to train in Asia.

I'd really appreciate it if you guys out there who are planning to come to HK, can shed some light on what made you decide not to stay in the US/Canada for training and career?

Thanks so much!

Hi Yuki,
I'm first year student at an osteopathic medical school in United State and planning to go back to Hong Kong to practice. I've been communicating w/ Medical Council of Hong Kong. Here is the guide line and syllabus of the exam.
http://www.mchk.org.hk/LE2007e.htm
I'm also looking for someone who did the exam. Where and How did you get you elective in Hong Kong?
the following is a thread posted regarding the exam. Hope that would help.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=251585

Hello Metrodaily,

I'm new to this forum.

Your posts caught my attention, and out of curiosity and genuine interest, can you please share some facts or factors that have influenced you into deciding against staying in the US to pursue further training?

It seems you are right where tens of thousands of Asian medical graduates wish they could be right now, graduating from a US med school and thus applying for a residency spot is much much easier, than these Asian gradautes. What influenced you into coming back to Asia?

Thank you!!

Hi everyone

I would like to know if anybody have any idea if hk residency training is paid. If so, how much are we talking about?

Thank you.

Hi everyone,

I'm a US med school grad and have matched into residency and currently in my internship year.
I am considering practicing in HK in the future. At this point I am debating if I should complete my residency in the US or make the move to HK and do my residency there.
If anyone has any experience or recs I would really appreciate some insight.

Also does anyone know if I would be able to take the HKMLE after I complete my internship? Or would I have to complete my residency in the US first?

thanks very much..........i want to apply for electives in hk ,how can i?can you guide me how can i prepare for exam?in which hospital you are doing elective?i need your help........kindly send me your contact no and email address..........uzair760@gmail is my address.........00923346067604 is my telephone no.............waiting for your kindness.............usmanali

thanks very much for the information. I am going to take the HKMLE this year as my family have relocated in HK a few years ago. I have passed USMLE step1 and step2. how much chance I can pass the HKMEL? Should I just review the kaplan notes? please kindly advise, my email [email protected], thanks,

Hi everyone, I'm raised and from US. I'm in my first year of University and studying medicine. I was planning to become a Physician Assistant and was wondering if Hong Kong has this degree or something like this. I was hoping to go to Hong Kong to continue my studies and work there.

Please respond thank you =]

thanx for the information
i want to know that part 1 exam mcq are in which language

Thanks a lot for your valuable information. I am looking forward for your guidance on the review materials and how to prepare for the exams? Are the papers in English? Are the exams similar to USMLE? my e-mail address is [email protected]. thanks a lot in advance

Good to hear that sumone passed it recently...can u tell me if u used the past papers of the final year med school in hongkong for practice..and if they were helpful and also if u think doing as many mcqs is the answer to the whole question of hkmle...id wait for ur kind reply thanks

Dr. Khan