Hong Kong Student Graduate Entry Australia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IvanD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm an international student from Hong Kong currently studying in the US. I was wondering if I were to apply in Australia with an undergraduate degree, would schools put more weight on my high school (I did IB) grades or my undergraduate GPA? Also, would doing the US pre-med courses be enough to fulfill requirements in Australia? How many international students do schools usually take? Also is it true that they only look at your MCAT and GPA, so any shadowing or experience wouldn't count in admission?

I was also wondering about costs, I understand that med school is quite expensive for international students and I was just wondering what options I have? Are international students eligible to apply for any loans? Also, what are the chances of an internship/residency as an international student? (If I get into school there, I will most probably want to practice there)

Sorry for that mass of questions... But I really appreciate any help I can get on those!

Thank you so much,
Ivan

Members don't see this ad.

For graduate entry, they only look at your ugrad marks. There are no pre-med courses required here as there are for North American med schools.

Shadowing and experience would only count for Wollongong at the moment as most of the other schools only look at MCAT/GPA.

And if you're studying at a US university as an international student, the fees for med school in Australia should be pretty much similar, no?

Hope that answers a few of your questions.

Thanks for your responses, yeah it's similiar to tuition here in the US. Which is precisely the problem, I don't want to burden my parents.

Are students allowed to work while studying? Realistically would a med student have enough time to work outside of school?

Also does anyone have any stats regarding number of international applicants applying vs accepted vs matriculation?

Much appreciated!