Honor Societies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Acula

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay folks, i'm wondering what you guys think are the best honor societies to be a member of. A list would be nice :)

Members don't see this ad.

Phi Beta Kappa for Arts & Science folks and Tau Beta Pi for engineers. I still don't think either adds much to anyone's application though.

About this phi beta kappa, whats the deal with having to speak a foriegn language?

Members don't see this ad :)
To show what a well-rounded Renaissance man/woman you are. I'm in TBP and want my $90 back :(.

How about Sigma Xi, national honor research society?

Compass said:
Is it really only "speak?" Because I can speak Chinese, but I can't read for my life.

Yea, i can speak a foreign language, but how can they test me?

Dr.Acula said:
About this phi beta kappa, whats the deal with having to speak a foriegn language?

Never heard that. At my school, you just have to take some language courses which are required to graduate anyway.

Forgot about Sigma Xi, it's definitely one of the better ones.

bbas said:
Never heard that. At my school, you just have to take some language courses which are required to graduate anyway.

What if i took 2 years of spanish in high school? I was browsing their website and i think it said this okay but am not sure

Dr Durden said:
To show what a well-rounded Renaissance man/woman you are. I'm in TBP and want my $90 back :(.

I'm in TBP myself and it seems to me that you really get back what you put into it. I rarely go to any activities or interact with the other members, so my attitude is pretty similar to yours. On the other hand, I know a lot of the other members because we had similar classes and they seem to love it because they go to more activities and socialize a lot more than me.

For the most part though, a lot of these honor societies seem to be there simply so you can feel good about yourself. A friend of mine and I onced joked that the main reason we were joining these socieities was just cause we could sit around at large tables and be "leet".*

*If you don't know what "leet" means, smile, cause it means you aren't a geek/dork.

Well it's hard to get much back when my university's chapter has one day of community service, an initiation banquet, and an election meeting as the sole activities. The club seems to be just an expensive ribbon to wear at graduation (and a line on AMCAS!), which is more than what some societies offer. I know, I know, I should stop complaining and take some initiative to change things. But I have better things to do with my time. Like post on SDN ;).

PS While I didn't know what 1337 meant, checking up on its wiki article is probably just as bad in the geek/dork category.

Members don't see this ad :)
Beta Beta Beta is 1337

Mister Pie said:
*If you don't know what "leet" means, smile, cause it means you aren't a geek/dork.

Is it some kind of slang for "elite"? :confused: I wanna know!

Yes, apparently it's slang for elite but it's also the name of a type of "tech-speak" that grew up with the internet. Basically you modify text to spell words. As in l33t or 1ee+ for leet. It's often used to get around censors as in b00b. However, I'm a chemical not a computer/electrical engineer so I am by no means an authority.

Mister Pie said:

Well getting invited to Sigma Chi means that you're inherently superior to all of your classmates...

/ducks!

Dr.Acula said:

you dont have to speak a foreign language....i took spanish for four years including high school and cant speak it very well at all but was still elected. i think its just a course requirement which most schools require anyways. im not sure if its worth it or not, but i have only been a member for a month and have already got two job interviews from it (without applying)

mychelle774 said:

Basically a bunch of guys on the internet with nothing to do decided to have fun and type words with numbers. For instance, if you were playing a game like Counter-Strike and you shot someone in the head, instead of calling that guy a newbie, or short, noob, people would call them a "n00b" because it makes them feel more superior on the internet. Likewise, the guy who got shot may want to call his attacker a hacker, or claim that he hacks, and instead say that he "h4x". Same reason; technical superiority and elitism.

For elite, this has a strong base in games, where extremely skilled players considered themselves elite, or "leet" for short. Then, they would use the numbers 1337 because it looks cool to them.

Honestly, it's just computer jargon and how people talk. In fact, I vote that if people post really obvious questions here on SDN, we all call them "n00bs! GTFO!"

:smuggrin:

I would have thought more SDNers would be l33t, not n00bs. I'm so l33t, I eat computers n3rds for breakfast. I take megabytes of microchips with microdip.

HairyCow said:
I would have thought more SDNers would be l33t, not n00bs. I'm so l33t, I eat computers n3rds for breakfast. I take megabytes of microchips with microdip.

But with <20 posts, you're just an SDN n00b. :smuggrin:

Seriously, this has to be one of the worst thread hijackings....ever. :cool:

maestro1625 said:
Well getting invited to Sigma Chi means that you're inherently superior to all of your classmates...

/ducks!

I think frat humor isn't going to last long with all this techno talk :rolleyes: .

Dr Durden said:
But with <20 posts, you're just an SDN n00b. :smuggrin:

Seriously, this has to be one of the worst thread hijackings....ever. :cool:

HAHAHA... sorry, I didn't think my side comment would create such confusion.

The wikipedia page on this is hilarious.

Slide said:
Basically a bunch of guys on the internet with nothing to do decided to have fun and type words with numbers. For instance, if you were playing a game like Counter-Strike and you shot someone in the head, instead of calling that guy a newbie, or short, noob, people would call them a "n00b" because it makes them feel more superior on the internet. Likewise, the guy who got shot may want to call his attacker a hacker, or claim that he hacks, and instead say that he "h4x". Same reason; technical superiority and elitism.

For elite, this has a strong base in games, where extremely skilled players considered themselves elite, or "leet" for short. Then, they would use the numbers 1337 because it looks cool to them.

Honestly, it's just computer jargon and how people talk. In fact, I vote that if people post really obvious questions here on SDN, we all call them "n00bs! GTFO!"

:smuggrin:

Holy ****, I never would have figured all that out. :laugh: Aw man, I don't even know if I just got made fun of there at the end. But I'm not gonna touch CS jargon, I already know not to bother my guy friends when they're playing. ;)

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that asking what l33t is on SDN doesn't exactly qualify under "really obvious questions." Now if you asked what classes you need to get in to med school, a GTFO would be warranted ;).

Dr Durden said:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that asking what l33t is on SDN doesn't exactly qualify under "really obvious questions." Now if you asked what classes you need to get in to med school, a GTFO would be warranted ;).

Ok good. I think my post contributed a lot to the segment of the SDN community that had no clue what you guys were talking about. :D

is anyone else in mortar board? i don't think we have phi beta kappa at my school.

Mortar Board is also well-respected, though not quite as prestigious as Phi Beta Kappa. I've asked professors about this kind of thing several times; one noted that Phi Beta Kappa and Mortar Board are really the only ones that people keep on their resumes for life. (Of course, this was from a professor of Political Science, so he wouldn't have been considering some prestigious societies that don't apply to the humanities.)