Honorably Dissmed School Not Listed In AMCAS Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smarqu01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I transferred to a four-year University after my community college. Not able to afford tuition, I was forced to withdraw within the first weeks of my first term. The advisor that was handling my dismissal, notified me that no course would be listed on my transcripts. I never returned to that University, instead came back home and took more classes at my community college until my financial situation "stabilized". I apply and was accepted to transfer to a different University the following fall, where I completed my degree.

I recently submitted my AMCAS application, not listing the University I withdrew from.
I spoke to an AAMC representative who regretfully informed me that a transcript was in fact required from that University.

Before I applied, I was sure to read the transcript requirements on the AAMC manual. I found this line:

"Colleges where you registered but did not earn any credit (e.g., incompletes, withdrawals, failures, audits, etc.)."

Under the believe that this was only pertinent to classes that were listed on official transcripts, and knowing that the University did not have a record of any of the classes I had enrolled in, I went ahead and chose not to include the school in the application.
After speaking with the AAMC rep, I called and spoke to a pre health advisor from that University, and they confirmed my transcripts were blank and that they also did not see a reason why I should have had to report their University.

However, AAMC makes the rules and now after speaking to the AAMC rep, who I should mention put me on hold several times throughout our conversation, I am freaking out! I just accumulated so much credit card debt and took out loans to afford the application process (I didn't qualify for FAP, another long story).

Anyone out there have a similar issue or know what I can do. I am currently drafting an email to the AAMC voicing my concern.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

From page 47 of the 2015 AMCAS Instruction Manual:
If the school does not issue transcripts for students who withdraw
entirely, you must request that the registrar's office forward an official letter (with an
AMCAS Transcript Request Form attached) indicating that no transcript is available
because of institutional policies.

Reactions: 4 users
From page 47 of the 2015 AMCAS Instruction Manual:
Thank you! But would this have to be prior to submitting my primary application?
I unfortunately already submitted my application on July 3rd.
Also, at the moment I am not certain if that University is or is not able to send a transcript, since it is blank. I did not get a chance to call the office of the Registrar to confirm this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Prior to verification (not prior to submission) you will need to get either a blank transcript or a letter stating that no transcript is available sent to AMCAS by the registrar of the first 4-year school. Call that registrar back and ask which it will be, then email AMCAS that it's coming. So long as you made less than 10 total errors entering data on the transcript, AMCAS will correct it for you. If more than 10, they will return it so that you can make the corrections.

Reactions: 1 user
Prior to verification (not prior to submission) you will need to get either a blank transcript or a letter stating that no transcript is available sent to AMCAS by the registrar of the first 4-year school. Call that registrar back and ask which it will be, then email AMCAS that it's coming. So long as you made less than 10 total errors entering data on the transcript, AMCAS will correct it for you. If more than 10, they will return it so that you can make the corrections.

Thank you for all the help again. The AAMC got back to me yesterday. I basically sent the same message I posted here. This was their response:

Thank you for contacting AMCAS.
During the verification process if it is determined that a transcript is required for that school, you will be notified via email.

If we can be of additional assistance, please contact us at
[email protected] or (202) 828-0600 M-F 9a-7p ET.

In light of the information you just provided, I am not sure if I should email them back at this point. I will contact the Registrar and notify them that a letter or blank transcript may need to be sent to AMCAS.

I am still concerned with the fact that I did not list the school on the application to begin with. I do not know if they will let me update that, at least that's what the AAMC representative told me the first time I called.

Either way, thanks for all the help you've given me. I appreciate the time spent in the responses.

JMO, but I think you will save yourself a few days in the verification process (and a few layers of your stomach lining) if you go ahead and have the transcript or letter sent, considering that you got a canned email response and that it sounds like the first representative you spoke with asked a few people before giving a response (and the answer seems correct to me).

JMO, but I think you will save yourself a few days in the verification process (and a few layers of your stomach lining) if you go ahead and have the transcript or letter sent, considering that you got a canned email response and that it sounds like the first representative you spoke with asked a few people before giving a response (and the answer seems correct to me).

Haha!
I am reluctant to have my University send transcripts or a letter without AMCAS requesting it; I am unable to create a transcript request form at this time. However, seeing that I am running out of options, I will have the school send it.

Haha!
I am reluctant to have my University send transcripts or a letter without AMCAS requesting it; I am unable to create a transcript request form at this time. However, seeing that I am running out of options, I will have the school send it.
Haha!

So I recently spoke with the school's registrar office. They advised me to do the same. I just placed my order and I am having UCI attached a letter once again explaining my situation. I even included the case number they provided me. I guess I've done all I can, just a matter of waiting now.
Thanks again for all your help. I really appreciate it!

So I recently spoke with the school's registrar office. They advised me to do the same. I just placed my order and I am having UCI attached a letter once again explaining my situation. I even included the case number they provided me. I guess I've done all I can, just a matter of waiting now.

I hope you will come back and tell us how it all turned out, for the sake of future others who may Search SDN for an answer about a similar dilemma.

I hope you will come back and tell us how it all turned out, for the sake of future others who may Search SDN for an answer about a similar dilemma.
The secondary application process kept me quite busy to say the least.
To provide a follow-up to the original post, my application was certified a few days after the last response.
However, I still did as you advised and had the university send the official "blank" transcripts to AMCAS. The Transcripts were verified within a week and no further action was required.

Thank you again for all the help.

Reactions: 2 users
To provide a follow-up to the original post, my application was certified a few days after the last response.
However, I still did as you advised and had the university send the official "blank" transcripts to AMCAS. The Transcripts were verified within a week and no further action was required.
Thanks for letting us know the "Rest of the Story."

Last edited: