Honors and High Pass Students -- How Did/Do You Study?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I like the program called iflipr for the iPhone. It costs five dollars but allows you to make flashcards with images or sounds. You also don't have to have Internet access to use them so if you are on a bus or something without wireless (or just don't have it in your plan) you can still use them. You can make everything on your computer (do need Internet for that). It is just nice to have it all on your phone so you're not carrying around a hundred cards.

FYI: There are lots of free flashcard programs that you can use on your computer without the iPhone.

I personally haven't ever felt so desperate for time that I'd want to study while waiting 10 minutes for public transportation.

Members don't see this ad.

Just because you did well the first two years does not necessarily mean or guarantee that you will do well on the Step I and II, and 3rd and 4th years. It is definitely not causal. I know some people that learned 80% of the material and retained 90% of it, while some learned about 90% but only retained about 20% of it. It all depends on how much you've retained.

Don't worry about what other people are doing. If it's working for you, keep doing it. There were a few times I got nervous about my study habits, because I wasn't going to class or re-writing my notes or preparing for Step 1 as an M1, etc. If it works for you, then DO IT. Once I realized that my study habits were great for me, I relaxed a lot. I got the grades I was comfortable with, and I didn't study more than I had to.

Basically, my technique was to read the notes, highlight only the information that was new to me, annotate the margins as little as possible but enough to reinforce critical learning points, read the textbook as needed to clarify a difficult point, and then re-read all my notes, repeatedly. (Endlessly) That was pretty much it. I would study in a place with minimal distractions (definitely not at home), no laptop to waste my time, listen to my iPod, and take breaks when I wasn't being productive. If you're zoning out, go surf the net, call a friend, read a magazine, play pool in the student lounge, etc. There's no point in staring at a book if you're not remembering a darn thing.

You'll have study days that are completely unproductive. That'll happen. I would just cut my losses and go home (this was not too common, mind you)

Same here and it has worked out very well for me.
I sleep 8-9 hrs most of the time.