Honors/awards on AMCAS application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopkins2010

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How did you guys handle awards with the same title that was given out multiple times? (i.e. Deans List).

Did you just list it once, or list it for each time you received it?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by baylor21:
•How did you guys handle awards with the same title that was given out multiple times? (i.e. Deans List).

Did you just list it once, or list it for each time you received it?•

I listed the award each time I received it. I didn't include the Dean's List because at my school you are automatically categorized into one of three status: 1) Dean's Honor 2) Regular or 3) Probation and that information is clearly labelled on your transcript. Plus I'm sure medical schools will be able to look at my marks and decide for themselves!

Good Luck :)

This brings up a question for me...are awards and such really all that important to adcoms. I mean, I got gobs of awards in high school, but college is a different playing field. Sure I am on the President's list and I am a member of one of those honor societies(Dont know which). But I havent really recieved awards persay. Is it a big deal? I really dont have all that much extra curricular either. I am just a member of the Catholic student Union, which wis what I do service with and all that. But I also work so it leaves little time. So should I start joining random clubs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry about the awards section - at least at my college they didn't really have any awards or honors except for phi beta kappa, and my advisor said the med schools would be aware of this. I'm sure for some of you, the situation is the same. As for the Dean's List question, I would put it once, and then the dates that you received it.

Also, if you have any publications, this is the space to use it for.

what i did was i listed that i got deans list and how many times...
example:
Deans List (4 times)

For publications, should you list each one individually? I believe that there can be only one date for a publication listing on the application. This would be a problem if you have two publications with two different publication dates.

Well, I applied last year -- what I did was write "Co-author on the following publications:" and then typed in the abbreviated title of each publication, name of the journal and the date. If you can only list one publication this year, just pick the most significant one (ie, if you were first, second or last author).

concise is best. period. i posted this on another thread and think it will be helpful here also.

=============

it sucks that they dont give us guidelines, but here is interesting info from the AAMC website (this is from the FAQ section regarding the new 2002 web application. med school adcomms asked the questions and AAMC answered back):

1. The 2002 section on Post-Secondary Experiences is too complicated. There's too much detail. It's way too cumbersome.

"The project Advisory Committee and others believe that asking for the additional detail about each experience (e.g., who was your supervisor and so forth) will help to minimize the "inflation" that might result from the ease of entering experiences in the new web app."

2. How about adding intramural sports to the drop down list?

When the Advisory Committee first discussed adding athletic endeavors to the list of experience types, there was some concern that too open a category would lead applicants to enter their weekend pickup rugby game. So, we limited it to "intercollegiate athletics" recognizing the time commitment that intercollegiate activities represent. This decision was reconfirmed at the June 2000 Advisory Committee meeting."

3. I suggest that the AAMC instruct applicants to list only those activities in which they have been most active. Limit to perhaps five.

"This was discussed at one or more of the Advisory Committee meetings. Instead of limiting the list, the decision was to include very specific instructions to list only those that the applicant deems "significant." In addition, the assumption is that what and how many activities the applicant lists is telling to the admissions committee."

4. Please get rid of the following: contact name, title, address, e-mail address, phone number.

"Only Experience Type, Name/Title of the Experience, and Dates are required. All other fields in this area are optional, which will be clearly explained to applicants in the instructions. Many schools requested contact information to cut down on the "inflation" they see now in applicants' experiences."

I agree. Keep it simple and concise. I'm going to have less than 10 things listed. Not because I don't have anything else, but I would hate to hide the things I'm really proud of with a bunch of fake honor societies and deans list type things.

I was under the impression that med schools carefully scan this section.

But in fact if they just give it a quick glance then it definitely would be better to keep it extremely short; kinda like a resume.

They need to do away with all those honor societies too. There are way too many and most of them have no kind of service commitment or anything attached to membership. It seems like if you have above like a 3.7 GPA that gives you automatic acceptance to like 10 different honor societies.