Honors/Awards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kiwi44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
(removed)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
you definitely can mention Dean's List, any scholarships you may have gotten from your department...thats pretty much all i can think of.

So I realize this question might be super vague and will vary greatly from person to person, but generally, how many awards/honors (esp. academic) do people graduate college with? What are some examples?

if it varies widely, how do you expect one to generalize?

examples include phi beta kappa, tau beta pi, sigma xi, latin honors (summa cum laude, magna cum laude, cum laude), Goldwater scholarship, Rhodes scholarship, Marshall scholarship, Fulbright scholarship, Churchill scholarship, Gates-Cambridge scholarship, Truman scholarship, USA Today All-USA Academic Team, Amgen scholarship, other research fellowships

Members don't see this ad :)
Deans list is pretty meaningless. So are the latin honors.

Deans list is pretty meaningless. So are the latin honors.

At least it's something to put on. I'm one of those people whose never won an award, so all I pretty much have are (Department) scholarships, and Dean's List

At least it's something to put on. I'm one of those people whose never won an award, so all I pretty much have are (Department) scholarships, and Dean's List

Don't put Dean's List. It's meaningless. The departmental scholarship counts. Dean's list, not really.

Edit: I should actually say that whether or not you put Dean's List as an award is meaningless. I vote to note put it down to cut down on the fluff, but if it's important to you, then go ahead.

Don't put Dean's List. It's meaningless. The departmental scholarship counts. Dean's list, not really.

Edit: I should actually say that whether or not you put Dean's List as an award is meaningless. I vote to note put it down to cut down on the fluff, but if it's important to you, then go ahead.

Thanks

you definitely can mention Dean's List, any scholarships you may have gotten from your department...thats pretty much all i can think of.

Phi Beta Kappa and similar honors for engineering and business. Latin honors as well (Summa Cum Laude, etc)

not always. At some schools, dean's list is based on standing (top x percent) rather than average.

In THAT case, I would mention it and in the description, put down that Dean's List = top 10% of blah blah blah.