Honors College or Graduate with Honors and double major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

westsfootball

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm at the University of Oregon right now and currently enrolled in the Honors College. However, I don't really like the Honors College and would rather double major in something that I do like (which would be economics). Does having "Honors College" on your resume and transcript matter that much in getting into med school or even getting a job right out of undergrad if med school doesn't work out? Or would a double major look better? If it's not incredibly important, I'll probably drop the Honors College, but if there is a significant advantage to staying in it, I'll probably just stay in it (it's not making me miserable or anything).

Please let me know!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

No, I doubt they'll care about being in the "honors college", nor do they care about double majors. Do whatever makes you happy and will get you the best GPA possible.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why would membership in honors and additionally studying econ be mutually exclusive?

I like honors classes because they are more engaging; I'm generally surrounded by inquisitive students which enhances the learning experience. I dont think its going to make much of a difference on the app however. Just remember A 3.5 from an honors college is not better than a 3.8 from a standard program, so do what you are happiest with.

Last edited:
I, for one, wished I had not done the honors college and devote the extra time to adding another major. Do what makes you happy, because med schools don't really care.

Well, maybe they do care a bit. I've been asked a few questions about what drove me to study what I did (1 hard science major, 1 social science major, 2 humanities minors) and some people seemed to be a little interested.

Why would membership in honors and additionally studying econ be mutually exclusive?
The Honors College and another Econ major both have required classes to take, and if I want to follow my plan to graduate in 4 years, I can't fit all the classes for both in 4 years

The Honors College and another Econ major both have required classes to take, and if I want to follow my plan to graduate in 4 years, I can't fit all the classes for both in 4 years
Now that is interesting, I thought honors college membership just meant taking the honors versions of classes already in your major. If you have to pick one or the other, I'd say do the econ - whatever small bump you might get for the honors membership isn't worth being unhappy and not able to study what you want.

Out of curiosity, what don't you like about honors? Don't you get priority registration and smaller classes full of only good students?

Reactions: 1 user
Now that is interesting, I thought honors college membership just meant taking the honors versions of classes already in your major. If you have to pick one or the other, I'd say do the econ - whatever small bump you might get for the honors membership isn't worth being unhappy and not able to study what you want.

Out of curiosity, what don't you like about honors? Don't you get priority registration and smaller classes full of only good students?

The Honors College classes at UO are very dry, and I don't learn anything from them. The professors are pretentious and my relationships with other non-HC professors are just as good. I'm already considered a year above what I really am due to high school credits, so I get registration before my peers anyway. And I didn't feel like the students in the Honors College were so above and beyond the students in regular classes by any means.

The Honors College classes at UO are very dry, and I don't learn anything from them. The professors are pretentious and my relationships with other non-HC professors are just as good. I'm already considered a year above what I really am due to high school credits, so I get registration before my peers anyway. And I didn't feel like the students in the Honors College were so above and beyond the students in regular classes by any means.
More dry than the regular huge lectures? But sounds like you should drop the honors even if you don't end up with a second major in econ.