drbatsandwich

I like bats. I like sandwiches.
2+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
It's time to register for the Spring semester and I've been invited by the professor to take the honors section of genetics. It is a class of around 20 people, as opposed to a 150+ student lecture in the regular section. Class discussion and projects are a large part of the course, and the tests are all short answer/essay. The regular section likely has 4 multiple choice tests and a final and that's it.

It would be an excellent opportunity to get a great letter of recommendation (from potentially two teachers, as there are two that tag-team teaching the class. The issue is that I'm taking the MCAT on May 31st and will need to be studying for it concurrently with my normal coursework for the semester. While I did pick a relatively light courseleoad of only 13 credits (ochem2/lab, genetics, biochem, American gov), I'm afraid that the extra time spent on this class as opposed to the regular section will negatively affect my MCAT score.

Is it worth taking the risk for the virtual guarantee of a couple great letters of recommendation?

stayathomemom

Now with 100% more Stay At Home™!
2+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
a relatively light courseleoad of only 13 credits (ochem2/lab, genetics, biochem, American gov)
Your definition of light course load and my definition of course load are not the same, regardless of credit hours.
O Chem 2 & Biochem, with two other classes thrown in there? Do you have a gift for chemistry that makes these classes easier for you than for the standard premed?
My answer was totally, "Go for it, this is an excellent opportunity" until I read your schedule. Now I'm not so sure. Although, genetics was easy for me (lots of rote memorization and not as much hard-to-understand concepts). Could you maybe speak to one of the professors about your concerns? Maybe they could give you some advice as well.

drbatsandwich

2+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Your definition of light course load and my definition of course load are not the same, regardless of credit hours.
O Chem 2 & Biochem, with two other classes thrown in there? Do you have a gift for chemistry that makes these classes easier for you than for the standard premed?
My answer was totally, "Go for it, this is an excellent opportunity" until I read your schedule. Now I'm not so sure. Although, genetics was easy for me (lots of rote memorization and not as much hard-to-understand concepts). Could you maybe speak to one of the professors about your concerns? Maybe they could give you some advice as well.
I'm a chemistry major. Next step would definitely be contacting the teacher, just wanted to get some outside opinions. Thanks!

About the Ads

DokterMom

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2013
Status
Non-Student
You may find the honors section substantially more interesting -- hence also easier. I'd be inclined to go for it.

Do check out your government class to make sure it won't be more time-consuming than you assume. Maybe consider taking it pass/fail?

Dec 18, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Ochem 2 + lab, genetics, biochem and on top of it studying for the MCAT. Just letting you know that is not a light course load lol

drbatsandwich

2+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
The government class is known to be painfully easy. It's also online. I have no choice but to take at least 12 hours, otherwise I lose my scholarships. I'm not concerned with the courseleoad - I'm concerned with the extra work for that particular class cutting into my MCAT study time. I think I might just email the professor and get his two cents.

I feel I should also add that I'm a nontraditional student, and studying is my full-time job right now. I don't have social engagements or extra curriculars cutting into my spare time (besides volunteering) and have strong time management skills.

stayathomemom

Now with 100% more Stay At Home™!
2+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
The government class is known to be painfully easy. It's also online. I have no choice but to take at least 12 hours, otherwise I lose my scholarships. I'm not concerned with the courseleoad - I'm concerned with the extra work for that particular class cutting into my MCAT study time. I think I might just email the professor and get his two cents.

I feel I should also add that I'm a nontraditional student, and studying is my full-time job right now. I don't have social engagements or extra curriculars cutting into my spare time (besides volunteering) and have strong time management skills.
Have you taken any MCAT diagnostics yet? How strong do you feel? How are you at taking standardized tests in general?
The answers to these questions might shed some light on how much MCAT study time you can spare for this honors genetics class. It really would be a good opportunity to build a rapport with a professor or two.

raiderette

5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2014
Status
Medical Student
What are average grades from past classes? It may be an amazing experience, but if everyone gets a C+, it may not be worth it. Some of my honors courses gave me both a great experience and a good grade.

plshelpvanxious

2+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Honors genetics at my school was easier than regular generics. It comes down to the difference in professors and specific class requirements. In my case, the professor was better, and the requirements were nearly the same.

About the Ads