Honors in Dental School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sonotsure

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a D1 at a H/P/F school in California. While being at a P/F school has reduced some of the competition, it is still pretty challenging to get honors in our classes (top 10% only typically). I am enjoying not having to stress too much about getting and A over a B but I don't see myself getting honors too often in my future classes.

If I want to specialize in the future, how critical is it to get honors? I am looking mostly toward ortho if I were to specialize. My other plan is to do an AEGD or GPR if I decide not to specialize. Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed at UCLA and the dental students there didn’t seem to think it was too critical to receive lots of honors. In fact, only the top 10% get them, but over half the school ends up specializing, so that’ll show you how critical it is. I’ve heard it’s more important to have lots of honors if you want to match into your own dental school.

Reactions: 1 users