Honors Thesis in non-science field?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

student113

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It'll help insofar as an honors thesis shows that you can dedicate the time to doing a piece of investigation (and for some of these social sciences, it's even scientific-y research) and writing it up. Certainly no small feat and a great achievement. Is it going to be a slam-dunk for getting you into medical school? Not so much, but it probably helps more than most random ECs do.

As far as your second point, I wouldn't worry that diversity of interests will be interpreted as too much interest in something other than medicine. Intellectual diversity is a good thing, and an asset to your application. Just be ready for the inevitable 'why medicine' question.

If anything it would show you have diverse interests, aren't a pre-med gunner/robot, and are passionate about your other non-medical interests. All good things.

It's not necessarily a huge benefit but it will probably be a novelty for the adcom.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for all the encouragements, I will consider it much more seriously.

Has anyone else here done anything like this?

I think it would be a good experience for you.

I know someone who was a double major in biology and economics.

She did her honors thesis in econ (instead of bio), and now she is now at a top 10 medical school.

So...don't worry, it can only help.

Some advice from someone further down the road than you. Don't make important decisions in your life based upon how the decision will or will not help you get into medical school. There is more to life than medical school admissions. For example, I have a great girlfriend that I met on a beach in a foreign country, and I never once considered how hooking up with her would affect my career in medicine. So take classes that interest you, date girls that interest you, drink wine that interests you, read poetry that interests you, swim in oceans that interest you, and just live your life. And when you get interviewed for medical school, you probably will be an interesting person that will have a good shot at being an interesting doctor.

Hi,

I am a social sciences major and recently got invited by my department to do an honors thesis. It's obvious not going to be in a scientific field, should I still do it?

I'm not sure about
1. How much it will help
2. whether it will look like I'm overly interested in a non-medical field. I'm majoring it out of interest and I think it's a good background to have for anyone, but I obviously have no interest in pursuing a career as a social scientist and am planning to apply to medical school.

Thanks

Stop worrying about what medical schools will or will not think. Are you doing your honors thesis solely for the purpose of impressing adcoms? I don't think so. Work your hardest, and your dedication will show through in a positive manner regardless of how you've applied your time.

I did an honors thesis in a social science field... the field itself is applicable to my career goals in medicine (ish) but the thesis itself is completely not. I'm applying now, but I can let you know how it worked out sometime next year... not that that will particularly help you.

Anyway, though, I agree with the above posters - do it because it's interesting to you and you think you'll find it rewarding (I did) and reasons like that. It would be sad if you made decisions solely based on what you think adcoms like to see. (Not that I'm implying that you do that or anything. Just in general.)

I would say go for it. I did the same thing (Psychology). My PI would not sign off on my honors thesis until it was publishable (he was a reviewer for multiple journals). It was a good experience to actually finish a large project of this sort. I was proud of myself for doing so and learned a lot in the process.
As far as the adcoms go, I think I was asked about it twice. I think they just asked to see if I had exaggerated at all. Once I spoke of my project passionately and fluently they let it be. So for the reasons above, go for it. If not, think twice since it is a lot of work.

Doing mine in medical anthropology. It's something I'm really interested in, so I don't mind it's not the usual biomedical research.

I don't know what social science field you're in, but try doing a project that involves controls, and is sort of quantitative.

I say this because adcoms want to see some scientific critical thinking in your research. No one expects undergraduate research to be completely groundbreaking, rather a learning experience.

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm not sure about

2. whether it will look like I'm overly interested in a non-medical field. I'm majoring it out of interest and I think it's a good background to have for anyone, but I obviously have no interest in pursuing a career as a social scientist and am planning to apply to medical school.

Thanks

Go for it.
Writing an undergrad thesis in any field shows that you started to handle a small project on your own -- that you have the stamina and dedication to pull it though. That is an asset.

And no, you can NEVER be "too interested" in another field. The problem with most pre-meds is that they are an amorphous mass of people doing the same things.

All you need to do is (1) meet the med school admissions course requirements, (2) do well on the MCAT and (3) have some ECs and (4) show them that you are dedicated to and passionate about the things you care about. Right now it is social science -- your next love will be medicine.

Question to you: Who do you think an AdCom will remember?
(A) The bio or chem major who talks about a project :sleep: or
(B) the social science/humanities/languages/arts major who harps on about a subject the AdComs never heard of. :rolleyes:

MCAT scores and EC being equal -- guess who might be seen as bringing more "flavor" to the incoming class. ;)

I'm a B.S. biochem major and I'm writing my thesis on medieval French romantic literature.

If you're trying to pick something to look "rounded," you won't enjoy your thesis writing. If there's something that you're truly interested in and want to do some work on, it shouldn't matter what field it's in.