Honour Society

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jojo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm a little confused about the honour society. I'm in golden key. Is it a good idea to put that in your amaca application? if yes, where do i put it, under post-sec/EC? thanx alot!!

Members don't see this ad.

hi Jojo,

Well it just depends.

First of all, AMCAS is limited to 15 experiences MAX this year. If that's true, then pick your top 15 and if they are all better than any honor society, don't worry about putting the Golden Key stuff in.

Second, is it tough to get Golden Key? I mean, do you have to go through some application process and do only 10-15 people or something get it at your school? is it nationally recognized?

if it's something like Deans List, don't put it. That's just a waste of space. If it's highly respectable at your school, and around the nation, and not many people get it, and if it's pretty prestigious, then go ahead and put it.

These are my opinions...I'm not very educated on honors associations and awards, so bare with me

sorry

bear with me...

not bare...

actually what the hell

just forget i even typed that last sentence

Members don't see this ad :)
It's up to you if you want to put in on the AMCAS. I think I put it under "honors/awards" since I never really participated in the society. If you participated in Golden Key activities, then maybe put it under "EC". I don't think Golden Key or any of the other honor societies are a big deal--most premeds with good GPAs end up in most of these societies anyway. Put it on the application wherever you feel comfortable about it.

Golden Key I WOULD NOT include. Any student with a 3.4+gpa at my school and $40 is elgible to become a member. That's not very selective.

Unless, you were very active with Golden Key and you participated in events, activities then you may want to include it.

What about Phi Beta Kappa?

pbk is really one of the most worthy ones, definately worth putting. it means something, congrats.

Yea, does anyone have any more info about Phi Beta Kappa? I got invited to join, but I'm not sure if it's worth my $60. Does it help you after graduation from ugrad? Or is this just another scam to extract more money out of students?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Keroberos:
•Yea, does anyone have any more info about Phi Beta Kappa? I got invited to join, but I'm not sure if it's worth my $60. Does it help you after graduation from ugrad? Or is this just another scam to extract more money out of students?•••••Wow -- this question gets asked enough it could use its own forum. There have been many discussions of whether or not one should join PBK or other honor societies. The majority consensus was that you should join PBK. There was less agreement on other societies.

Many medical school applicants will be PBK merely because you must have a high GPA to get in to both (other PBK requirements vary by school). Thus, it will not set you apart too much from many of your co-applicants. In the "real world", it is regarded highly. I've probably had about 15 job interviews (non-medical) since graduating from college. I'll bet it was mentioned in half.

My opinion -- spend the money and join.

Ed

You should put every honor and every award (no matter how big or small...including Dean's List) on your application....because guess what? everyone else will be! GK is top 15% of your class with the cutoff differing among schools. It can only help you!

Whats the difference between EC and Post-Secondary Experiences. I mean in the AMCAS.. itsn't it a total of 15 combined?