Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Hope for ENT for FMGs?

Discussion in 'Surgery and Surgical Subspecialties' started by sdn2002, Mar 27, 2004.

1. sdn2002

sdn2002 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Is there any hope for foreign grads to enter ENT? Are there any postmatch openings? I am open to ideas. Thanks in advance.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. cedricw

cedricw Membership Revoked
    Removed

There is no way of sugarcoating this, but no there is no hope. As an FMG you may be able to get a gen surg spot, but ENT and other competitive fields are pretty much out of the question.

4. Not necessarily. To the OP, what are your Board scores? Grades? Research? Letters of recommendation?

5. Leforte

Leforte Member
    Moderator Physician PhD Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I met a couple FMGs on the trail this year. One did her MD in China and was working on her PhD here in the US. She was interviewing at many big name places, including MEEI - I don't know if she matched, but wouldn't be surprized.

There are always ways - it is just a question of going the extra mile.

6. @70mphC2005--->

7+ Year Member

you can check www.nrmp.org to get match statistics. i just briefly reviewed it and i think there was 1 fmg that matched this year in ent and 1 fmg that matched last year. so yes it does happen, but i don't know what kind of students these are that do match

7. sdn2002

sdn2002 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

My background is:
    92/87/80
    ECFMG certified.
    Previously finished Otolaryngology in my home country.
    Published 6 articles in US ENT journals.
    Tried before once but got zero invitation for interviews.
    Have visa requirements.

Any further suggestions?
    Can I just work as a PA in ENT?

thanks for all your suggestions.

8. aboo-ali-sina

aboo-ali-sina Member
    7+ Year Member

to work as a PA you would need to go to PA school and pass the PA licensing boards ( in know that you are already a licensed MD but that is the way it is)

You can work as a surgical assistant without any US training (so long as you are in a state that does not require US training for licensure)

You would just need to find a group of ENT's who would be willing to hire you to first asist them on cases and take care of their inhospital patients.

Although I suspect that this sounds easier than it is to actually do.

hope this helps.

9. Spang

Spang SDN Angel
    10+ Year Member

snd2002:

I mean this as a sincere question and I hope you take it as such;

Why do you not want to practice in your native country? Do most FMG's come to the US for the money or for the advances in technology? Surely our healthcare system is not the best-run in the world, is it? Is there not an innate desire to treat the people of your country (of origin, realizing that the US is the great melting pot)?

After re-reading what I wrote I guess the author could be of US nativity, but a FMG. I'm just curious about the motivation for the large number of foriegn-trained docs to practice here.

Thanks for your insight.

Spang

10. tRmedic21

tRmedic21 useless...
    7+ Year Member

I just heard of 2 FMGs who matched ENT at LSU-Shreveport this year. Can anyone in a position to know confirm or deny this?

11. sdn2002

sdn2002 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Spang,

my honest answer is that my country is dying. if it was not, i would definitely want to practice there. unfortunately, it is dying and i expect a big social upheaval soon which may lead to a civil war.

12. Doesn't ENT go through the SF Match?

13. DrFixS

DrFixS New Member

a friend of mine, who's an IMG just got ENT at Mayo. It's not impossible!

14. Fermata

Fermata Hold me.
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The biases of IMG vs. FMG are different. However, congrats to your friend matching at Mayo. That is quite an accomplishment.

15. docss

docss New Member

Hi there. It seems we are in the same boat. I am an IMG with scores of 96 and 95 in step 1 & 2 respectively. I have been working in Otolaryngology for the last 10 years. I have yet to apply for a residency. How many programs did you apply to and what criteria you used to select your list of programs?