Hopeful paramedic to MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paramagictodoc

Reaction score
Hello all,

This will be my first post, and will likely be followed by a few more throughout the next couple of years. I have been a career firefighter/paramedic in the state of Texas for approximately 4.5 years now. While in paramedic school, I developed an ever increasing love for medicine, especially while preforming my ER clinicals. After I had completed paramedic school, I ventured into paramedic to RN bridge programs, but ultimately decided that becoming an RN was not enough for me, as I feel as though I have much more freedom in terms of treatment in my current profession. I began diligently researching application requirements for medical school. I figured this was a long shot, but I truly believe that this is something that I am capable of. After months of researching the best way for me to fulfill these requirements, I ended up deciding that a premed degree plan was not ideal for my current situation. (I am a full time firefighter, married, and have two young boys.) I discovered a resource that would allow me to complete an online BAAS with a focus of business management at literally no charge to me, except for my time. I will graduate in May, 2021, at which point I plan to begin my medical school prerequisite courses.

I have read many posts on this site, as well as many medical school websites, which all state that online prerequisites are an application killer. (if you can even find them) I also feel as though that traditional in class prerequisite courses may also credit me a few extra brownie points since half of my courses from my BAAS will have been online. (many of my core classes came from my younger years while still enrolled in traditional courses.)

My question is; has anybody, especially those in my trade, tried to balance traditional medical school prerequisite courses on top of full time employment? If so, how did you do it? Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I worked for a career dept when I started my journey (still employed with them) I actually did Fire/EMT, then first year of undergrad, then medic, to now, onto my last year of undergrad.

I am still on the department extremely part time as my school is 2 hours away from it.

It wouldnt necessarily be impossible to do undergrad while working full time, however, it would NOT be easy at all. You could consider taking out private loans to help cover cost of living while in undergrad so you're able to only need to work part time putting your focus on school.

If becoming a doctor is your true goal, staying in fire for the convenience will leave you with much regret later in your career. Several guys I work with are in this boat.

Regardless of the decision you make, best of luck to you. This is an extremely hard decision. The path to medicine is long and strenuous. Although doubt may arise, if you can make it through fire and medic class you can make it to medical school.

You've got this.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I've certainly decided to go to medical school, and my undergrad is already in the works full time as well, just all online. My question was more directed towards my med school prereqs, whether can do them online (I don't know if that's even possible) or traditionally. I have to stay full time for now up until med school to support my family.

Thank you for the words of encouragement! I'm glad I'm not alone in my endeavors!

Members don't see this ad :)
RN here. I worked full-time and took at most 3 classes at a time, but I don't have kids, but I either was working or in school or both, depending on the day. I did that for about 2 years, and including part of the summer, and I only was able to do it because I have been so committed to going to med school.

If you get access to the MSAR, you can see which schools accept online courses, or you can check on the admissions section of any school that you are interested in. From what I understand, online pre-reqs are conditionally accepted at most schools, but schools tend to prefer in-person classes. There are 'name' online programs that you can utilize, such as Harvard Extension, but I do not know how those programs are seen versus others. COVID has thrown everything up in the air, and many schools are accepting online courses, including labs, but who knows what will happen next year and in the future, so online pre-reqs taken now may not be accepted in the future.

What's your GPA? Are you planning on MD and DO? Do you have any clinical or non-clinical volunteering?

I am planning for MD. My GPA is approximately 3.2-3.3. I've still got 30 hrs of undergrad left, and approximately 30hrs of prerequisites left. So hopefully I can use those hours to boost my GPA a bit. I'm more than likely about 4-5 years away from submitting any medical school applications.

Thank you for the info for online courses! I will look into it and contact a few medical schools to get a feel of whether I should pursue that path or not.

Also, I volunteer at my local VFD when I'm not on duty. I am aware though that I still need to do other volunteer work.

I've certainly decided to go to medical school, and my undergrad is already in the works full time as well, just all online. My question was more directed towards my med school prereqs, whether can do them online (I don't know if that's even possible) or traditionally. I have to stay full time for now up until med school to support my family.

Thank you for the words of encouragement! I'm glad I'm not alone in my endeavors!

As other person stated, MSAR is a great tool for finding what schools allow pre-req online. I would safe it's a safe bet to assume most want the science pre req (bio, biochem, organic) done in person.

It wouldn't be impossible to work full time especially in fire since you can work out trades even if it's just a few hours here and there.

Prereqs can be done through a legitimate online program (such as Harvard Extension). I'd suggest taking only 1 or 2 courses at a time, so that you can be sure to get A's.

Reactions: 1 user
Wife? Kids? If you want to be a doctor, commit to knocking out prereqs as a full time student. If you plan on getting any love from Texas schools, that GPA must come up significantly and needs to be paired with a solid MCAT. Applying 4-5 years from now is a huge opportunity cost.

Applying 4-5 years from now is a huge opportunity cost.

Are you saying that I need to be eligible to apply sooner? I would love to begin applying as soon as possible, but I honestly don't see any possibility of becoming a full time student in class and working full time with my department. Unless you are suggesting that online prerequisites are the way I should go? (I'm honestly leaning towards traditional prerequisites in order to erase some doubt of the authenticity of my degree, or my academic capabilities.) There is no part time option for my department, and I can't displace my wife and children for a "chance" at medical school. We rely too much on my salary for me to just quit before being accepted into medical school.

Drop the business classes and start working on prereqs now, preferably in a traditional classroom setting (although there may be a shift in attitudes about online coursework in the future, given Covid). Find someone you can trade shifts with regularly and load up on Tuesday-Thursday classes. I just don’t think half hearted approaches will get you where you want to be if you really want to be a physician. Every year you get sucked into a civil service type job, it’s that much harder to leave or make the sacrifices necessary to get into medical school.

I can agree with you there, and I absolutely don't want to come off half hearted in the slightest. I will do some digging and see if there are any premed options near me that are plausible.

Thank you everyone for your words of encouragement and advice! Any feedback at all is appreciated more than I am able to express!

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
paramagictodoc said:
My question is; has anybody, especially those in my trade, tried to balance traditional medical school prerequisite courses on top of full time employment? If so, how did you do it? Any advice will be much appreciated.
You'll be burning the candle at both ends, so to speak. You need to make a choice.

This is the truth. It's hard to swallow, but you wanted honest advice.

Agree with what @TwoHighways said above about Tues/Thurs classes--and you need to take out loans and go to school full-time if this is really what you want. And you need to have a REALLY clear answer for "why medicine" after having been a firefighter, your RN program, and now medicine.

PA might be a good alternative if you like the medical model and don't want to commit to going back to school full-time. I believe that some PA programs are part-time.

Best of luck.

Will taking my prerequisites (traditionally) as a part time student, as apposed to a full time student, truly affect my medical school application in harsh manner? I became a firefighter for stability. I had a girlfriend of 3 months whom I had impregnated, and was a laboror making approximately $12.50/hr when we conceived. I immediately enrolled into EMT and fire school, and thus emerging into the career I have now. There is more back-story that comes from prior to meeting my now wife. However, could I not articulate to admissions these choices of stability for the sake of my family?

And thank you for your honest advice. I am thick-skinned, and believe that any advice that panders to my feelings will only hurt me in the future. So on that note, absolutely grill me if necessary. If it helps me achieve my aspirations, then I welcome it completely.

Being a part-time student, as opposed to full-time, would not be held against you. You have valid reasons for not giving up paid employment! I think what folks were suggesting is that it might be easier to bite the bullet and get it all done at once.
And it is worth considering whether you might find satisfaction as a PA or APRN, rather than devoting so much more time and money to become a DO/MD.

Alright, thank you for putting that into perspective for me.
I am absolutely certain that I not only want to be a physician, but am absolutely capable of being an exceptional one. I have no intention of settling. There is no question as to if I will complete my prerequisites, it is really just a matter of how to complete them, and I feel as though the best answer to that I have so far is traditionally and as swiftly as possible.

So to answer the original post question first, I am currently in the process of working full time as a Paramedic and attending school full time. Is it possible? Sure. Is it something I recommend? Not really but I have tips regardless.
As reference, I was working part-time, not full-time, up until covid and went full time to help out where I could. So I'm kind of new to being full-time so take it with grain of salt. In my current working situation of taking full-time classes and working full time I don't have time/energy for much else at all so having a family may be pretty incompatible. Your mileage may vary but im not going to be doing this for much longer.
That said, some advice would be to do what you can to work at the retirement stations (you know? the ones with less call volume) so you can at least (theoretically) do some of your studying there. Not sure if this is feasible in your system but if it is, highly recommend. Ditto the comments above on shift-swapping.

As to your last question about full-time vs part-time, it might affect it a little but I doubt it will kill it. Especially for DO and if you can show some sort of academic rigor in another way +/- express clearly why you had to do it part time for family, finance, ext. My understanding (absolutely could be wrong) is they just don't want to look like you can't handle the MD coursework.

The biggest thing though, if you would have issues now about stopping full-time work, do you have a plan on how to support your family during MD school? This is important because of it you may want to consider something shorter like PA school. Ditto the loan suggestions.

Just some of my thoughts.
Good Luck.

Will your employer pay for some of your classes? If so, that might be a reason to keep working full time.

On the topic of supporting the family durring medical school, that is the point to which my wife and I are completely willing to uproot our lives a go where we need to go. I have approximately 80,000 in equity in my home, which we would sell. I would also either withdraw my funds from my pension or retire (depending on whether or not I'm a vested employee) upon leaving my job. From there, just massive amounts of student loan debt.

Education reimbursement is great! How long before you are vested?

Right now super long. I am a union officer and am currently trying to get it dropped to vested at 10 years. It is currently at 20 years for reasons I don't understand.

Not a paramedic--I work full time during normal business hours in a research setting. I decided I wanted to go to med school soon after undergrad, and I had ~20 credits worth of prereqs left. I started with one class last fall, took another in the spring, am registered for one this fall, and will take the fourth in the spring of 2021. My employer offers tuition reimbursement so I have not paid anything out of pocket so far. Back when in person classes were a thing I would leave work about half an hour early once a week to make it to class--my PI was ok with it and I made up the time on other days. I realize that doing one class a semester may not be ideal, but I think it was the right decision for me. Tuition reimbursement would not have stretched to 2 classes, making it cost prohibitive. Moreover, I am not sure I would have excelled academically if I was taking 8 credits while working full time, which defeats the purpose. Theoretically, I could have quit my job, moved back in with my parents, and taken out loans to knock out the rest of my prereqs at once, and be applying now. But I don't want to do any of those things. I would rather do things slowly and correctly and make sure that I am a good adult with good life experiences before applying.

My advice is to start slow and find see what you can handle before trying to take a ton of classes while working. The last thing you want is bad grades.

Reactions: 2 users