Hopeful Prospective Doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meme-ningful

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

This is my first time on these forums and I thought it would be a good idea to join, so I could surround myself with people who have similar interests. I would like to become a doctor. However, I would like to know if my dream is right for me. I've read about people romanticising the idea of medicine because they have a passion for helping people. I have a passion for helping people. I'm not interested in being a doctor for the money. I'm interested because it seems challenging and apparently, there's a lot of opportunities out there with a medical degree. I've already faced some backlash from the people around me. They tell me it is too hard for you. I'm the type of person to get easily stressed and I don't know. This pathway is like a pursuit for self-discovery. I have bad habits and then there's this person I want to be. You would have to get high marks to be a doctor and I'm not an all A student.

I guess I just have some doubts, but I would be willing to work hard for this dream of mine. I would like to have a future and pursue my education further. I've read about getting work experience, so I might give that a go.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like a great plan. Try things out and see how you do. I took my time in college and had many great experiences also adding in pre-reqs. My MCAT was pretty bad so I ended up sitting multiple times, but was fortunate enough to be accepted to 2 great schools. The unfortunate aspect of all testing no matter the profession is that great candidates will be weeded out and those that can test well are accepted. If you feel that this is for you, then pursue it! At the same time, don't be afraid to change course if needed. You don't have to be a doctor to help people. Nurses, PAs, social workers, counselors, teachers, and psychologists are just some examples of professions that work with people every day and do great work. My first suggestion would be to start shadowing doctors in different fields and see what you do and don't like. Meet with an academic advisor at your school and learn about the courses required for medical school. Only you can decide if this is for you. Just know that the path is very long and is as validating as you make it.

Sounds like a great plan. Try things out and see how you do. I took my time in college and had many great experiences also adding in pre-reqs. My MCAT was pretty bad so I ended up sitting multiple times, but was fortunate enough to be accepted to 2 great schools. The unfortunate aspect of all testing no matter the profession is that great candidates will be weeded out and those that can test well are accepted. If you feel that this is for you, then pursue it! At the same time, don't be afraid to change course if needed. You don't have to be a doctor to help people. Nurses, PAs, social workers, counselors, teachers, and psychologists are just some examples of professions that work with people every day and do great work. My first suggestion would be to start shadowing doctors in different fields and see what you do and don't like. Meet with an academic advisor at your school and learn about the courses required for medical school. Only you can decide if this is for you. Just know that the path is very long and is as validating as you make it.

Hi there, thanks for replying to my forum post! I have a heart set on going to medical school. Well, this certain medical school because I went to open day and I saw the video for the medical school. Me: ME, that will be me!! I have backup plans. My plan is to go into the University Pathway and do the best I can and finish on a high note. If I don't get the score I need for doctor, I'll pursue becoming a Psychologist. If that doesn't work out, I'll pursue this program for Occupational Therapist. Psychology would be interesting because I love getting to know people and the things they do. People are interesting. However, there isn't enough jobs for psychologist. The job field is competitive. Nursing would be stressful for me because I think I wouldn't have a say in my schedule - and it's just busy, busy. A social worker tells me to not pursue social work if you have the brains, and she said she thinks I do. I wouldn't mind becoming a teacher, I just hope that I'm one of those people who make life changing contributions to someone's life - that I'm memorable.

The ATAR score for medicine is very high - depending on which university you would like to go. 95 or 99, and it's going to be very competitive because there's not enough spots for all of us.