Hoping to apply next cycle. Thoughts and feedback?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mph876

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think for people to give informed feedback you will need to be more specific on your research experience as that is arguably the most important factor in an MD PhD application. Length of experience/any presentations/papers/etc.? What do you like about research in pediatrics/genetics besides that you were born with a genetics disorder?

E-- ahh sorry I missed the part on your ECs. I still think it would be helpful if you could provide a bit more information on your current biology research (how long have you been there?).

It was research looking at potential target proteins for a protein encoded by a gene of interest for a genetic disorder. I ended up learning molecular cloning techniques, protein purification, how to work with E. coli, co-IP, cell culture (passaging, transfection, general cell line maintenance), Western blot, in addition to more basic things like advanced microscope use and the basics of ImageJ. My earlier experience was more basic– immunostaining, localization of certain tissue types, tissue and slide preparation, advanced microscope use. There was a SURF poster presentation I took part in with the program. By the end of both experiences, I was trusted to do almost everything on my own. I'm now working with zebrafish and getting more experience with CRISPR techniques, embryo manipulation, embryo imaging and localization. I'm just starting in this semester so these are all planned. I know I lack in lab experience, but I have been lucky to have a fairly varied experience and I know more is in store this semester and next semester. I also have created and manage an institutional data research project. I was selected for oral presentation at my school's undergrad conference and I'm hoping to present out of my university next semester. I know this isn't "research" in the traditional sense though, so I haven't placed much weight to it.

This sounds like good experience, but you're talking a lot about techniques and procedures. Why you did stuff, what you found, and how you grew is much more important. I understand that this is an SDN post and not a personal statement, but that's something important to keep in mind as you start reflecting on your research experience.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That all sounds good.. Your cGPA/sGPA numbers are both fine imo (although from your post I'm a little confused whether your sGPA is 3.7 or 3.4... a big difference). The math hiccup might raise a few questions depending on who is reviewing your application but I don't think it will be super significant in the grand scheme of things or prevent you from getting an acceptance. I'm not even sure if it is worth mentioning in your personal statement, where you should ideally focus on your journey and motivation towards the physician scientist career and not your grades.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not worried about your stats. A good MCAT and addressing your earlier poor grades in your app can sort that out. Your research experience is much more likely to be viewed as a red flag than anything else. It sounds like you jumped around from lab to lab, spent a few weeks/months learning a few things and then left. MD/PhD committees are judging you on your likelihood of success in a scientific career. Without seeing how you work on your own extended research project, thats hard to do. If you can take ownership of a project and see it through, you've got a good shot.

Reactions: 1 user