Hopkings EM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

energy_girl

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had information about the Hopkins EM program? Their website description makes the program sound awesome--lots of diverse activities, innovative curricula, opportunity to pursue additional degree during residency, etc. Is this true, are residents happy there, etc.? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

energy_girl said:
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had information about the Hopkins EM program? Their website description makes the program sound awesome--lots of diverse activities, innovative curricula, opportunity to pursue additional degree during residency, etc. Is this true, are residents happy there, etc.? Thanks!

the one person that i know who matched their this past year had a usmle step 1 score literally off the scale.

energy_girl said:

Hey - you might want to check out scutwork.com ... coincidentally I was just there and there was a new review for Hopkins EM, and it was 5 stars, great review. Though I do think it was written by an intern who hasn't had time to get old and jaded, it sounds really happy. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
One of our SDN'ers is a Hopkins resident. He may post his feelings about the program. Generally, his comments have all been positive.

I think there are plans to add more fellowships, perhaps at the expense of the number of residents. There was discussion of making the program into a 4-year program if I recall correctly.

I have friends, both md and pa , who have done residency there and said only good things. they use a lot of pa's at hopkins with pa residencies in em and surgery so if you have a problem with midlevels it probably isnt the place for you.....
http://www.appap.org/md.html#two

Niner is the Hopkins resident someone alluded to. Overall I have heard nothing but good things.. Only someone who knows can give the proper insight.

Thanks for the props all. Overall, and stepping out of the scheme of things as a tired and overworked resident, I think our program is a great place to learn emergency medicine and apply your training to any environment imagineable. Our program, much like any program, is not without its pitfalls and will depend greatly upon your individual preferences in regards to being a "good fit."

A word to the wise during the residency search though - do not be lulled into a false sense of security in regards to what you expect to be your three-year training course. Things can change drastically from what you thought you were getting and what actually comes out in the wash. Be prepared to roll with the punches and be flexible to endure any scenario in residency, and you will be well-prepared anywhere, not just at Johns Hopkins. If there are any specific questions, PM me.

energy_girl said:

The Chief Resident at Niner's program.

Attachments

• yuki.jpg
    yuki.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 120
That's cute - I kind of have a thing for bunnies...